A hackers guide to the Carthegena course at John O'Gaunt GC

99 posts / 0 new
A hackers guide to the Carthegena course at John O'Gaunt GC

For those intending to play in the Golf Magic Forum Open 2015 at John O'Gaunt GC on Wednesday 24th June I thought I'd give you a bit of a guide from my point of view to the 18 holes that form the Carthegena course.

I'll post one hole guide every few days. Feel free to comment, criticise, lambast or whatever.....it's Open season!!

Hole number 1 is a par 4, 370 yards from the yellows, 360 from the reds. It usually plays into the prevailing wind.

It's OOB down the left and there's a large copse on the right but the fairway is pretty generous - most players bail out to the right.

The approach to the green is uphill all the way so my tip is to take one or two more clubs than you think. The green is large, at least 30 yards from front to back so take the pin placement into account (we run a red/yellow/white flag system). There's a large bunker front left and another front right, between these there's a large apron so it may look like you've reached the green but looks can be deceptive.

A par on the first is a very solid start anything better is worthy of self congratulatory high five. Most of us will be getting a shot on the hole so a bogey is perfectly acceptable, unless you three-putted of course.

Easy 3 points to start with then Tim  

Tim E wrote (see)

For those intending to play in the Golf Magic Forum Open 2015 at John O'Gaunt GC on Wednesday 24th June I thought I'd give you a bit of a guide from my point of view to the 18 holes that form the Carthegena course. I'll post one hole guide every few days. Feel free to comment, criticise, lambast or whatever.....it's Open season!!  

Yorkey wrote (see)

Easy 3 points to start with then Tim  

To a man of your calibre it would be the very least you'd be expecting. Half a pound of allsorts in the bank I'd say

Driver... wedge....  3 putt.... 

But it's OOB left Tom.

Thanks Tim. Useful information. I shall check in every day!!

PS. I've just booked 2 weeks in Canada/USA in April, so it's looking likely I will be around for this.

I've got some lessons booked to sort that .. thanks very much Chris!  

4 wrote (see)

Drive. Drive. Drop. Wedge 2 putts. Easy 7.

That's how I usually play it in a medal (more likely Drive, reload, drive etc.). I'd hope that after missing out on holing your wedge you'd pick up in the interests of pace of play....

Yeah the "pick up if you can't score" ethos in a Stableford is often overlooked. Hopefully not on the June day!

Tim, the Bertie bassets will be winging their way south this time around.The dime bar won't stand a chance.

Funky wrote (see)

Tim, the Bertie bassets will be winging their way south this time around.The dime bar won't stand a chance.

Now where have i heard that before Ape Man, in your dreams.

Funky - are you going to Gilmore the 1st again?

Chris when I did the Gilmore last time the dime bar only eat me by a single point and I blobbed the hole. Every time since I have played the Gilmore I have nailed long and straight.

Eat ?  Beat ,which he won't this time .

Hole 2 - Par 3, 145 yards (yellow tee); 136 (red tee).   If the first hole got the better of you then don't despair, at the second you've got an immediate chance to score well. A short par 3, SI 10, protected by three bunkers. There is OOB on the left but it shouldn't really come into play. Again it's a fairly large green so make sure you've got enough club, no prizes for being short. This is the start of a run of 3 relatively easy holes and unless the greenkeeper has been particularly nasty with his pin positions then pars and birdies beckon  - fill yer boots!  

If you want to play off the whites 4 then I'm sure I can get dispensation for you I assume you'll be contacting Lee Scarbrow at some stage as you'll be getting courtesy of the course?

Hmmm, SI10. I get a shot there. Hopefully an easy 1pt for me then.

im game for a laff off of the tigers

We you use a lady's club all pink and poofy

yeah i do,and IT OUT DROVE YOU  DIDNT IT.

3rd Hole - Par 4, 290y (yellows) 278y (reds)   The easiest hole on the course. A short par 4 and a wide fairway. Lots of trees left and right. The long hitters may be tempted to go for the green but need to be wary of several clumps of gorse short left of the green. There are bunkers guarding the front right and left of the green but unless the pin is tucked tight behind the right hand bunker (the greenkeeper's favourite location) then this is a good birdie opportunity. Drop a shot here and you'll kick yourself.

Can you kick me please Raheel on the day!

Is there a range at your gaff Tim? I like hone my power top, sky'd drives and making sure my chips and pitches always hit the ground at least 2" in front of the ball before I play.

Unlike Chris, i like to use up all my quota of solid strikes on the range so that only the dregs of the barrel make it out onto the course!    Also its nice to unknot my golfing muscles in my back prior to heading out onto the track! Chris, fancy teaming up again? You can ponce a smoke if you like !

I do love a rolly. I know I shouldn't but twice a year is ok isn't it.

We do have a practice ground, inconveniently located between the 11th & 18th fairways of the John O'Gaunt course. You can either bring your own balls or get a tube from the pro shop. There are also three driving nets and a putting green next to the clubhouse. As for playing partners, please leave that up to the organisers

Ok ! Apologies Tim! Chris- see me before you tee off I'll sort you out!

No problem Tom, I'm not saying you can't or won't play with Chris I just need the flexibility to change groupings around until I'm certain of how many players we've actually got.

Hole 4, Par 4, 263y/255y   Now that you're pumped up with your birdie on the 3rd you get another chance at the fourth which is the shortest par 4 on the course. The long hitters will doubtless be tempted to go for the green and if you hit it then another birdie should be child's play. But it's a pretty big "IF" The fairway is tree lined and of you are errant with your drive then you'll be scrambling to make par. There is a large bunker in front of the green and another guarding the left hand side of the green which isn't visible from the tee. This should be a straightforward par (gross or nett) but it is a good birdie opportunity, a classic "risk & reward" hole. This ends the run of relatively easy holes and things toughen up significantly once you've holed out........

Do I get a shot there?

I'm thinking 6i, PW, SW and 3 putts. So I'll need a shot there to get my point.

4th hole is SI 13 for gents, 14 for ladies.

If I work at it I can get up to 13 by then.

Tim is there a hold up on the fifth mate,there is a lot of people waiting to tee off.

so impatient bill tut tut

Sorry lads just looking for my ball.

You can play through if you like.

Hang on, which one of you is using a Molitor? I know 4's is the Penfold Commando but FFS!

You guys are showing your age now 

the only commandos i have seen have been mixed in with range balls at my d. Range. They certainly spin well with wedges! Not so sure about hitting them off the tee though! I'll stick with my b330's thankyou!

Sorry folks, work got in the way of things - new job and all that. Anyhow, the fifth hole is worth waiting for 5th hole, par 4, 408y/398y This hole will test everyone, it plays all of the 408 yards and you'll need two of your best shots to be putting for birdie. A long straight drive is what's required, anything left is likely to leave you hitting a short iron just to get back in position. Anything right will probably leave you blocked out by a stand of fir trees. You can go way right onto the adjacent 18th fairway and have a route to the green from there (I know because I've done it). Bunkers front left and front right protect the green which looks flat but has plenty of subtle borrows. Most of us will be getting a shot (or even two) - be happy with a net par and walk on.  

Well that's three off the tee for me ,and a well made seven .

Tim is that a par 5 to normal people? I know I get a shot there but I feel like I deserve 3?

Anyway I have a Penfold Commando with three red dots on it for my tee shot. Lucky for me one flew over my head on the 4th. It must've come from an adjacent fairway.

I'm using an off-yellow one, with "Stolen from Wigton Park Golf Range" on it

I used to see a few "ange" balls on the muni in Stoke. I don't think the scutters managed to even hit those enough times for the liquid paper to wear off before they lost them!

I still have a dozen 65s till in the original box and individual wrappers. But they weren't found on the course . I do still use an old penfold ace ,hearts I think it is ,the cats love playing with it.

Bridgey was 11 once wrote (see)

I'm using an off-yellow one, with "Stolen from Wigton Park Golf Range" on it

I'm, offended that they are marked "stolen" though - I paid for 'em fair and square. £3 for a hundred

Hole 6, Par 3, 130y/119y A short par 3 although the wind can add a club or two. 3 bunkers are waiting for anything short, right or left. The green slopes from back to front, any putts from above the hole will be testing

Ok so it's a 9 iron or 7i depending on if I have a vindaloo the night before or not.

is there plenty of room out right, for the shank of the tee?

Well that's a six for me then,bunker to bunker and three stabs. Tim when do you require a deposit or full payment mate.

I'll sort out the money nearer the date Funky.

Pages