Craigielaw on Sunday May the 13th

156 posts / 0 new

Can't wait for it think I'll have to bring my waterproofs for It tho. Ac personally don't think you need links greens quick as when wind picks up they could roll any where. Looking forward to it now I'll there around 10:30ish sunday

Crazyface wrote (see)

Got any that play with the wind?

Aye, but they will push your drive on and on until they land in a bunker.  Here's a picture of the 15th hole: /members/images/92933/Gallery/sarlaac.jpg

Bloody shame this is an 800 mile round trip for me, Sounds like its gonna be a total blast! but talk of 35-40mph wind and thermals? Damn I knew it was grim up north but come on!   Beware the Wayman though! He's a baby faced assasin! (Unless you have any illicit hooch to tame him! ).

We've got a full suite of hardy golfers now. 1 Zombie (18) 2 AC (13) 3 Zombie & AC's Claw mate (Saffa) (10) 4 Saffa's mate (Michael) (13) 5 Wayman the Assassin (6) 6 Niblick the Seer (16) 7 Zombie's mate Scott (22) 8 Crazyface (16) 9 Mrs Crazyface (36) 10 Golf Magic's Ross (14) 11 Zombie's mate Ally (26) 12 Zombie's mate Ally's wife (Gillian) (36) I've got Scott, Ally and Gillian looking at the forum so maybe they will be brave enough to register and post!  Hopefully this will increase the GM quota and balance out the shuffling team of zombies. Prizes and teams to follow...

Orizzonte suck - are you Pylon is disguise? Either way, you'd be better to create a new thread for the Facebook Open as it will get lost here. Thanks for the good wishes!

Facebook Open???

It's a virtual thing, where you take part from behind a keyboard.

1over the only time I'm tame is when I'm sober after a few drinks it takes me some stopping. Got some good drunken stories but them are for another day Get yourself up north for some proper golf in proper weather!!!!

Right, teams are as follows: Saffa - Wayman - Michael - Ross Crazyface - Mrs CF - Ally - Gillian Zombie - Andy - Niblick - Scott The format is full Stableford.  Points as follows: 1pt for a net Bogey 2pts for a net Par 3pts for a net Eagle 4pts for a net Albatross No points for a net double bogey so if you can't score then please pick up your ball so we don't hold up the entire golf course.

When you say teams, is it aggregate points for a team win?

Those that know me will realise that I like to be a little bit different.  This is of course reflected in the prizes! 1st - Best Stableford Score 2nd - First Place Loser 12th - Last but not Least Longest Drive - on the Par 5 2nd (should be down wind but the fairway is tight) Nearest the Pin - on the 10th (157yd or 133yd Par 3) into the wind usually. Wall Banger - who had the most trouble with the resident brick structures. Bunker Meltdown - who had the most trouble within the deep sand pits of Craigielaw. The rules for the two daft prizes will be explained on the day.

niblick wrote (see)

When you say teams, is it aggregate points for a team win?

Ah, good question.  Nope, no teams it's everybody for themselves!

can i ask how many holes does these walls come into play?

@Wayman - 8 holes (although it takes a special kind of golfer to manage to do it on the 1st, and yes, I would be one of those golfers)

Looking forward to it. For those that haven't played it's a cracking course and well worth it.

Cool RY (or should that be Ryo), glad you could join us.  You're in good company in group 1 with Andrew and Michael being Craigielaw members and Wayman being our lowest handicap geezer. Hope you can make it along early for a wee range session and/or a roll & coffee before the round.

Sounds excellent Zombie, hope you all have a cracking day, really peeved i couldn't get the time off work now

Yorkey wrote (see)

Sounds excellent Zombie, hope you all have a cracking day, really peeved i couldn't get the time off work now

Aye, shame you couldn't bring yourself and your new Pingtastic set along... With the sound of Wayman's posts he's in fear of the walls. Hey! Wayman! Leave them walls alone!

Will definately give you a shout next time i'm visiting the MIL in Dalkeith.

Don't forget to give me a shout if you come over to Glasgow. I don't want to invite you for a game.  I just want to mug you and nick your Pings

Robster yet again another truly laugh out load post!

Robster wrote (see)

Don't forget to give me a shout if you come over to Glasgow. I don't want to invite you for a game.  I just want to mug you and nick your Pings

No bother Robster, East Renfrewshire is on my hit list as well

I might be lowest handicapper but don't expect anything over 30 points

Wayman (5.5) wrote (see)

I might be lowest handicapper but don't expect anything over 30 points

...and for the back 9?

Almost ready. Clubs cleaned, for the first time since...ages. News balls placed in bag, old ones removed. Pencils sharpened. Hairdresser called last night, so hair streamlined and smartened up. (I was begining to look like a scarecrow). Cars value increased by 5%+ with full tank of liquid gold. Just got to pack the suitcase this afternoon and tell the landlord of the pub I'll not be in tonight to do the karaoke. Wifey texting her mate who runs the cafe near us to find out opening times on Sat am.  Now then where've I put me thermals?

Hope you have a great day out, and the weather holds fair. Got the nod off the physioterrorist yesterday to return to the practice ground. Next time guys.

Big Hobbit wrote (see)

Hope you have a great day out, and the weather holds fair. Got the nod off the physioterrorist yesterday to return to the practice ground. Next time guys.

glad to hear BH hopefully meet up with you in the future

Good news BH. Hope it goes well.

Have a safe journey mr and mrs crazy face! If anyone sees a young lad with a white titleist bag tomorrow that's me

Just checked the forecast.  We might get round dry!  Still a strong wind though.  The members of Kilspindie might have to watch out for the odd ball blowing their way. 

niblick wrote (see)

Just checked the forecast.  We might get round dry!  Still a strong wind though.  The members of Kilspindie might have to watch out for the odd ball blowing their way. 

Wow Niblick, you're expected a long drive on the 1st! Yeah, the rain forcast has eased and it's looking to be less cold.  Just need the wind to die down for a nice round of golf.

Well, not on the 1st - I remember it. (I should do - we played it twice.)   But at least on whatever hole it was where AC  made a little excursion into the neighbouring property last time.  I remember that too.  Funny the sort of things that stick in the mind. 

Thanks for that Niblick - I had tried to forget those shots (the memory is a little hazy but if I remember correctly I managed to do it twice!). All these people that are travelling from far and wide are going to be disappointed if I don't  - a) Hit the wall on the first and, b) Put at least one ball OOB! That wind looks like it could be fun!

AC wrote (see)

... the memory is a little hazy ......

Just as well.  I expected you to come back at me with the memory of that moment at Edzell when, as I addressed the ball on the tee at one hole, I had to be told I was facing the wrong way. But I have my bus pass so it is excusable in me.

Safe journeys to all Lovely and sunny and not a drop of wind here hopefully I bring this weather up with me

Bright and dry but the wind is blowing!

Have a good 'un lads

zombie wrote (see)

The weather will be lovely!

The world has to be told.  DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN. He speak weather with forked tongue.   Good day out nonethless and thanks to Zombie for organising.

But who won??

seems like the wind did

Big Hobbit wrote (see)

But who won??

Scotty Pro Platinum wrote (see)

seems like the wind did

Big Hobbit wrote (see)

But who won??

Thanks to Zombie for organising a good day, terrible weather, worse golf (from me), a quite literally crippling £60 walk, only made enjoyable with the good company! Congratulations to Scott, who played some great golf in difficult conditions.

Yip thanks for sorting it all out Zombie. Cracking day out and met some good people. Worst wind I have ever played in but a good test.

thanks for organising the day Zombie really enjoyed it although would like to play again when its not as windy didnt play well but it was hard conditions hopefully come up for another scotland meet

Firstly, many thanks to zombie for organising. We've had a brilliant time. I don't think I've ever laughed so much when playing golf. No one has really put into word just how stong the wind was.  Watching drives into the wind, sky straight up then blow back toward you and then land 20 meters from the tee,  and 10 meters from the ladies tee was just eye wateringly funny. We had a really friendly couple to chat with going round both of whom has not been playing long, and both played really well! Gillian, can I have some putting lessons PLEASE ????? Back to the wind......par 4s down wind turned into driver and 54 deg wedge three times !!!! But the best was the 14th I think it was. We had lost the group in front and were not too sure of where the green was so just hit down wind towards the fairway. I lost mine as it flew towards three bunkers on the left. As I walked down the fairway and reached the said bunkers, I could see in the distance a white dot near the green. No it couldn't be? But it was. 350/360 yards !!!!!! Oh yes it was. My wild celebrations were just a tad too premature as I then FIVE (5) putted. Have I told you I can't putt?

Par threes into cross winds were three irons drilled at 45 deg into then watch and pray as they flew across lightenly quick greens. Oh did I not mention the greens? Humps bumps hollows and FAST !!!!. Balls blew away AFTER stopping. If you missed the hole putting downhill and down wind....gone.  And sometimes when putting I had to have one foot so far back behind as a brace to stop me from falling over! Praise to all for completing. After nine holes it felt like we had played eighteen. High praise to wifey who was "knackered" after nine but carried on so not to let everyone down. I'm sooooo proud of her! She appologises for being so quiet afterwards and she was just literally blown away! Have you every walked with your body at an angle of 45 into wind just to try and make headway? She didn't speak to me for large parts of the evening, just sat staring with glazed eyes and was in bed at 9pm. We've had a brilliant time up in Scotland our hotel was great, having wonderful food and beer and a great team in there, which I won't bore you all with. Wifey is fully recovered and had enjoyed it so much had suggested we organise a meet.  Once again, many thanks to all who were there, you were all great. Top weekend !!!!

You're all very welcome.  I wanted to organise one in retaliation to the efforts of AC, Niblick and DiS for inviting me to the other ones and making me feel so welcome. A great gang of golfing folks all round! Crazyface - you can assure your wifey that our group of four resembled the walking dead.  Niblick's trim frame was blown all over the place and AC's new highheel shoes cut through his achilles.  Obviously I'm a zombie anyway so only marathon running Scott managed to last the pace.

My grandson (1yo) is chuffed with his new bucket and spade! Also he seems to think the spade is a spoon.

Note to AC :- Here is your check list for when you play golf :-

1. Golf Shoes
  2. Golf Shoes
  3. Clubs
  4. Golf Shoes
  5. Waterproofs
  6. Golf Shoes
  7. Golf Balls
  8. Golf Shoes
  9. Golf Cloves
  10. Golf Shoes
  11. Check to see if you have put your golf shoes in the car.

AC wrote (see)

Thanks to Zombie for organising a good day, terrible weather, worse golf (from me), a quite literally crippling £60 walk, only made enjoyable with the good company! Congratulations to Scott, who played some great golf in difficult conditions.

That'll teach you to buy cheap golf shoes!

Pages