Ball and head Position in relation to club choice

12 posts / 0 new
Ball and head Position in relation to club choice

Hi all what a great forum!I'm a beginner and pretty clueless and useless so please be kind.

Absolutely and feedback on this will be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris

Perceived wisdom as I understand it is that ball is positioned nearer left heel for the longer clubs, in the middle for .. er ... middle clubs, with short irons nearer right heel. But there are others on here more knowledgeable on this subject. 

Hi Chris - at present my wife, who is learning has asked the same question. There are a couple of schools of thought on it but the method I find easiest, is standing with your feet together at address with the ball central and then moving the left foot to the side slightly, so the ball is inside the left heel by a couple of inches. Then widen the stance by moving the right foot only by the same amount as the left, for wedges, and  a bit wider for each longer iron. For the 4, 5 & 6  irons the ball will effectively be nearer the left foot, for the 9 and wedges mid stance (narrower stance) For driver I get her to stand with feet together at address and not take any step sideways with the left foot - just move the right foot to a shoulder width stance. This leaves the ball level with the left heel, which is ideal for the modern high teed drivers. Others will have differing opinions, it is really what works for you and that takes time.  Oh as far as the head - just keep upright and try to maintain head and butt position through the swing, turning within that axis.

Thanks so much guys that's helped a lot! I'll give this a go asap. Chris

I've heard this used as a starting point - quite similar to Taz's reply. feet together with ball positioned centrally.  Assuming a righty then move left foot to the left by the same number of inches as the number on the club (change 3 and 5 wood to 2 and 3 though).  Then move right foot to the right so feet and shoulder width apart. This will put ball for driver off the left heel, and for a wedge somewhere right of centre.

Nice idea Alan,it works well. got a bit painful when I got my 24 iron out the bag though  

Great advice from Taz et al. Some golfers prefer to place the ball a little more forward or back than others, but as a rule there will be less than a ball's width in it. Experiment a little when your on the range and see what different effects i.e. high and low trajectory you get. Remember when playing into the wind it's useful to be able to hit a knock down shot where the ball has a lower and more penetrating flight. A good drill for ball position, balance, timing, etc, is to place both feet together and hit gentle shots as a warm up. With this drill the ball will be in the centre of your stance with something like a PW or 9 iron. Gradually widen your stance for fuller shots.  

I always do what Taz has already said. Feet together behind ball and adjust from there. With driver I don't adjust my left foot only my right. 7 and 8 usually in the middle of stance and working ever so slightly back when moving up to 9-LW.

A sidenote on the knockdown shot. If you are just starting out i would avoid that kind of shot into wind as its hard to pull off. Take an extra club, or two, and make a normal swing. The ball will still get there without being too technical.

Its just unwanted sidespin on a shot that you dont need it.

Hence my post. The OP already said he's a beginner.

Hmm, interesting polarised thoughts. Most beginners (and others) have unwanted spin regardless whether that's backspin, topspin, or sidespin. Learning something shorter than a full swing whether that's a chip, pitch, or 3/4 swing is part of golf's fundamentals. A knock down shot is just a derivative of a full swing with a couple of slight adjustments. Digressing slightly, I played in the final of a team scratch match a few ago and my partner in the foursomes was a last minute replacement for my partner who was injured the day before. Very windy conditions and playing into a 2-club headwind a180yds par 3, I asked him what club he was taking - 5 iron. This kid hits the ball miles into the stratosphere. So I suggested a knock-down shot with a 3 or 4 iron. His reply "I don't know how to play a knock-down shot". I was gobsmacked. He hit the 5 iron and it dropped like a stone before it reached the green, leaving me an impossible shot out of a bunker as the pin was tucked behind the bunker on a down slope! He knows how to hit a knock down shot now. 

Exactly my point 4. You would not let a learner driver go out for the first time up the M1. So, learning short shots to be able to control the ball is a good method of teaching the concept of power and control. It's amazing how far you can hit the ball even with a short swing if timed and executed properly.