Distance loss and off center hits

3 posts / 0 new
Distance loss and off center hits
I recently just recieved new Mizuno jpx 850 irons custom fitted for me for Christmas and they are stiff shaft. My old irons are regular flex shaft and TaylorMade. When I went to try out my new set of clubs today (after not golfing for almost a month) i was doing very poorly on the range. I was thinning a lot of shots until i realized I wasn't bending my knees enough and after that i continued to hit shots off center, Usually on the heel of the club but without shanking them. When i did hit shots that felt good they were not going far at all. I was hitting my 7 iron 130 yards max! With my old clubs i would hit my 7 iron around 160 yards. Also the ball flight seemed high but I think it was normal. It is winter and was only 45?? F today with range balls but I don't see how i could lose that much distance from that. Also, when I was fitted for the irons around a month ago i was hitting the 7 iron around 165 yards so I don't know why I don't have any distance or really consistency now. I am 15 years old and about a 11-12 handicap

Range balls are usually distance zappers, colder temps also. if you were fitted on a launch monitor then the distances are calculated based on perfect conditions etc, so not really surprising that you could lose that much distance.

If you are hitting the ball badly as you state, thins and off centre hits, you are not going to get your normal distance, range balls and cold weather is not likely to bring out your golfing hulk