1 or 2 stroke penalty

17 posts / 0 new
1 or 2 stroke penalty
The topic I am about to post may have been covered before, so please excuse me if it has. I am very interested inthe rules of golf and specifically in trying to understand and REMEMBER them. One of the problems I have is remembering whether the rule infringment results in 1 or 2 strokes. Does any one know if there is an easy way to remember this or whether certain types of rule infringment are 1 with others being 2, or is that just too simple?

Very rough and ready so take care.
If the payer has control over his action (or inaction) then 2 strokes.
If he has no direct control ie accident then 1 stroke.

Accidentally moving ball 1 stroke. And not replacing it 2 stroke (in total).
Not marking ball before lifting 2 strokes.
Taking relief 1 stroke (the accidental part was getting into trouble).

I would be interested in knowing of exceptions as I haven't fully checked it out.

Striking the ball more than once in the course of a stroke  is one penalty stroke only.A ball overhanging a hole which takes more than ten seconds to drop is a one stroke penalty.Cleaning a ball when a player is not permitted to do so is one stroke penalty. 

JimP (8.5) wrote (see)

Striking the ball more than once in the course of a stroke is one penalty stroke only.

We've all done the scooping action and hit the ball twice but I'm sure some must have done 3.Is it still only a one stroke penalty if the ball is hit 3 times with one swing?

DH wrote (see)

Not marking ball before lifting 2 strokes.

Only 1 stroke

@spStriking more than once in the course of the stroke can be 3, 4, 5 etc times.Only 1 stroke penalty

To add to the above, by way of a memory aid.1sp are all to do with the ball, ie doing something illegal ( I hate that phrase) to the ball.Moving it.cleaning itstriking itdropping it Accidentaly stopping or deflecting itIn all the above, add, except in accordance with the rules.Hope this helps.Don

DEC

"Not marking ball before lifting 2 strokes."

Mental aberration.

Of course I never thought for a second you meant that but I did not want to leave it uncorrected.

DH wrote (see)

DEC "Not marking ball before lifting 2 strokes." Mental aberration.

Falls under "moving it" see my post above.Don

Also add;- touching it. "Mental aberration"Don

do we really feel two strokes is more justified than one in most cases?  Or even vice versa?

"Do we really feel two strokes is more justified than one in most cases? Or even vice versa?"

I don't spend much time thinking about it. It is what it is and it isn't going to change.

Just found another coupleOff the green- Lifting a ball because you think it interferes with another players play without them asking you to lift it. One stroke penalty.Moving your ball marker (other than as result of lifting or replacing the ball) one stroke penalty.God I am bored this morning. Nothing better to do than read a rules book. I know the lawn needs mowing but........

So in answer to Martin's original question, I think that there is no easy way to remember them all, just look it up.

JimP (8.5) wrote (see)

So in answer to Martin's original question, I think that there is no easy way to remember them all, just look it up.

Isp are all to do with the ball, easy!

JimP (8.5) wrote (see)

JimP (8.5) wrote (see)

Just found another coupleOff the green- Lifting a ball because you think it interferes with another players play without them asking you to lift it. One stroke penalty.

Falls under lifting the ball when the rules do not permit.Don

Cheers guys that has helped a little but JimP made a good comment that there isn't an easy way to remember whether it is 1 or 2 strokes.