16 holes one day - two holes next day

21 posts / 0 new
16 holes one day - two holes next day

To friends play a private round of golf. When they reach 16th hole it is too dark to continue play, and they decide to play the two last holes the next day. I am quite sure that nothing in the rules prevents them from doing so or penalises them - do you agree (rule 6-7 - there are no play to delay since everybody has left the golf course?)?

I guess that their handicap also can be adjusted in this situation (although dividing a round over two days) - but this of course depends on which country it is.

Are they in a Competition? Is it matchplay or strokeplay?

Was the mongoose blindfolded?

Brian - Under the European Golf Association (EGA) Handicap System there's no problem finishing the round the next day, if darkness was the sole reason for the delay.DH - Under the EGA Handicap System, Match Play scores are not allowed for Hcp. permutations. Fiesta

And the mongoose?

Probably blindfolded.

As I thought - thanks

Fiesta wrote (see)

Brian - Under the European Golf Association (EGA) Handicap System there's no problem finishing the round the next day, if darkness was the sole reason for the delay.DH - Under the EGA Handicap System, Match Play scores are not allowed for Hcp. permutations. Fiesta

FiestaI was considering both Rules and Handicaps. But we don't know which h'cap authority Brian is talking about. I cannot find any reference in the CONGU rules about discontinued rounds but assume they conform to 6-8. Matchplay rounds are acceptable in other h'cap authority areas.Re 6-8, players may discontinue by mutal agreement in matchplay but not in strokeplay, unless the (seemingly absent) committee find the reason satisfactory. 

Fiesta wrote (see)

DH - Under the EGA Handicap System, Match Play scores are not allowed for Hcp. permutations. Fiesta

Fiesta - In Denmark scores from private match play rounds played better than handicap must be posted if every ball has been holed.We use the EGA handicap system, and the Danish Golf Union DGU can answer these specific questions from Brian.

Of course, if it's a Danish mongoose, then that's a whole different bag of meerkats.

RD - the EGA handicap system permutations are calculated according to Stableford scores. If in Denmark Match Play scores are accepted, that is not in accordance with EGA Hcp System Rules.

DH - Under the EGA Handicap System, Match Play scores are not allowed for Hcp. permutations. Someone needs to tell our handicap committee that, I have been advised that I will be cut to 5.5 at the annual review in a  couple of weeks time based on my matchplay record this year, despite the fact I have played in medals and stablefords and actually gone up 0.3 Nimbleblade

Fiesta - The Danish Golf Union follow the EGA system 99.9%, but allows for private match play scores to be used. I have just asked the DGU about this, it's apparently a Danish speciality, but the EGA doesn't mind.

RD - Is it a requirement before starting a private match to declare to someone that you are marking a card for handicap to ensure that the cards are returned ? And what if not every hole is completed ? Presumably handicap adjustment can still be allowed. ? Do handicaps go up and down ? This is certainly a new on me and I can't decide whether it is a good idea or not. Would 3 cards marked from private matches be sufficient to keep an active handicap for next year ? On reflection it seems that Danish handicaps and UK handicaps may not be directly comparable. I mean if someone got down to scratch by merely playing private matches against his pals it hardly stands up against those who have acheived it in open competition.But it's interesting though.

John - In the EGA Handicap System a handicap 1 category player, that is a player  with an exact handicap below 4.5,  is not allowed to submit scores played outside official competitions, so he cannot reach scratch by playing 'friendly' rounds with pals and a registered card.

Match play scores can only be used if:2. The score is below handicap.1. Every hole is completed,No reason to declare anything; if a player doesn't want to post a good score from a match play round, he simply picks up his ball when a stroke is conceded instead of holing it. And players with a handicap index lower than 4.5 can not post scores lower or higher than handicap from private rounds here - match play or stroke play. Only scores from official tournaments counts.

RD - so much for a European Handicap System!

It's a minor detail, and posting a score from match play is rare. It's just allowed, and if a player wants to lower his handicap - by (almost) all means!The trouble IMO is with players hiding good scores from private games by calling it "training" or players leaving the course after the 16.hole if the score is too good - 2 days before tournament with attractive prizes. No handicapsystem can catch these players.

Thanks everybody - my question was about stroke play (sorry I did not mention that), but also thoughts about match play are appreciated. And correct: I am from Denmark (EGA system).Best regards

The mongoose was defo blindfolded!! If they came to the sixteenth then decided it was too dark to play and played the final two holes tomorrow then they only played  17 holes!!

Is the conclusion then, that no rules are breached?Do you think that a Committee will find the reason satisfactory - or will a Committee state that the players when starting the round should have known that they might not were able to finish the round due to darkness?