2019 rule change to preferred lies

4 posts / 0 new
2019 rule change to preferred lies

I am surprised the new 2019 golf rules regarding preferred lies say:

The ball no longer must be marked before it is lifted. This is because the ball is not being replaced on its original spot. Yet you are required to mark your ball for relief purposes and I fail to see much difference.

I assume CONGU will still require the ball to be marked for handicapping, and I’m sure it used to not be a stipulation years ago.

Why have this possible confusion for players, was it really necessary?

You are right in saying this

You are right in saying this is because the ball is not being replaced. But you are wrong re relief purposes. From 2019 this will be consistent with all situations where the ball is placed elsewhere or dropped.

CONGU will not be able to require marking as this would override a Rule. The Lost Ball/OOB situation is different as that is an optional Local Rule.

The only case where a mark should (not must) be placed is when relief is taken 'back on the line'. However there is no prohibition on marking anywhere if you choose to.

Incidentally, PL marking has been a requirement for over 50 years I believe.

Marking your ball was not a

Marking your ball was not a stipulation before 2004. Here is the LR 2000-2004:

"Preferred Lies" and "Winter Rules"

A ball lying on any "closely mown area" through the green may, without penalty, be moved or may be lifted, cleaned and placed within six inches of where it originally lay, but not nearer the hole. After the ball has been so moved or placed, it is in play, and if it moves after the player has addressed it, the penalty shall be one stroke - See Rule 18-2b.

My mistake. I was misinformed

Sorry, my mistake. I was misinformed.