"Reinstatement of Handicap Status:

47 posts / 0 new
"Reinstatement of Handicap Status:
Reinstatement of Handicap Status: The reinstatement of a “c” (competition) status handicap requires a player to submit 3 qualifying scores (which could be 18 hole competitions, 9-hole competitions, Supplementary Scores, home or away)"

Would you please clarify he above statement and whether that a handicap can be reinstated by just returning 3 X 9 hole cards. The above is rather ambiguous and can be interpreted in different ways. 

No it is no longer a case of just submitting 3 cards. The handicap committee must review the cards and previous scores before reinstating a 'c' status. UHS Clauses 26.3 and 26.4.

It is also my understanding that 3 supplementary scores played over a nine hole designated course are sufficient for the 3 card requirement. However this does not apply to category 1 handicaps who are no longer permitted to submit SSs during the period 1Mar _1 Sept in 2016 and 1January to 1 Sept thereafter. Their SSs cards must be over 18 holes. If you have any Cat 1 players that will lose their Competition Handicap status on    1 March it is important to bring this to their attention quickly so SSs can be submitted this month.  

• 27.3.   A player whose status of handicap has under the provision of Clause 25.1 or Clause 25.3 not been marked as a ’Competition Handicap’ can regain a Competition Status Handicap by submitting 3 qualifying scores which could be 18 hole competitions, nine-hole competitions or Supplementary Scores. Each of these scores shall be entered in the player’s Handicap Record and shall adjust the Exact Handicap in accordance with the provisions of Clause 17 or Clause 22, as appropriate. Once the requisite returns have been entered into the player’s Handicap Record the Competition Status shall be re- instated subject to a review by the Handicap Committee as detailed in Clause 26.4 below. 
  • Taken from draft UHS manual whilst it states  talks about regaining c status it does not clearly state number of holes so are 3 X 9 holes cards ie  27 holes acceptable? Dont yet have access to latest UHS printed manual

I was told by committee members who attended the briefing that there would be no fundamental changes to the UHS from the draft to the printed once it available. We had a discussion at our committee meeting yesterday. It appears that in one area (Allotment of Handicaps clause 16) what they were told at the briefings did not agree with what it says in the manual so they might not necessarily be true. As whonose said on the other thread the 9 hole cards will be adjusted to produce an 18 hole score for handicap purposes. This can be found in Clause 22 9 Hole Competitions.

So 3 X nine hole supplementary scores acceptable then By playing just 27 holes you C status can be regained. We don't run and 9 hole qualifying competitions at the moment not enough demand!

The important point is that you have to have a designated 9 hole course with the SSS set by the Union all tees on the 9 holes can have the SSS set and the SIs are set for for the 9 holes. As all uses will have to be Stableford  comps it is best to set them based upon difficulty and not match play. If you have say a 27 hole facility then only 9 of the 27 must be chosen hence the designated 9 hole course.  

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough when I say 3 X 9 I mean just returning 3 cards over any 9 hole measured course with a SSS you can regain your C status. Baring in mind  i had read something on the web that clearly states reinstatement over 54 holes and as I said in my original posting the UHS manual can be interpreted in different ways.      

Just want clear clarification for all to understand 

Jules are you confusing reinstating an expired handicap (in effect a new handicap allocation) with reinstating 'c' status. The former requires a minimum of 54 holes to be played, the latter any 3 qualifying scores (which includes 3 x 9).

The main change introduced this time is that the reinstatement to the 'c' is not automatic - the Handicap Committee have to action the reinstatement and it will result in an additional entry on your handicap record with a CHR identification (previously the 'c' would automatically be applied once the 3rd score had been input). Phil

@ PJ Thanks for the info about CHR we have been wondering about how the player would be flagged for review.    

Ps I presume that means the player would be on the monthly review list that the new computers systems will chuck out.  

Monthly review list ?

@DH Continuous Review Report UHS 23.16

Ah. Didn't recognise the title.

Phil Jaques wrote (see)

The main change introduced this time is that the reinstatement to the 'c' is not automatic - the Handicap Committee have to action the reinstatement and it will result in an additional entry on your handicap record with a CHR identification (previously the 'c' would automatically be applied once the 3rd score had been input). Phil

As I understand it, the 'c' is set automatically but should be reviewed by the committee. 

No - the 'c' is not automatically set, they committee have to action it before the 'c' status is added.  The CHR (Competition Handicap Regained) is simply the entry that will appear on the handicap record as a result of the committee completing the reinstatement.  They can amend the handicap at that time if they feel it necessary, otherwise the handicap will remain at whatever the 3 score entries that trigger this have adjusted it to. The software should have some facility to alert the Committee that the 3rd score has been submitted (be it by Competitions, Supplementary Scores or away scores).  They should then action it.  The Continuous Handicap Review (which is not the CHR) is the process by which players who have a sequence of 7 scores where their handicap increases by 0.1 each time are identified.  The software should provide a facility to produce such reports on request, and the advice is that they should be run monthly to coincide with the regular Handicaps meetings that I'm sure all clubs have..! Phil

I have only just joined the Rules and handicap sub committee. I think they were unaware of 23.16 until I pointed it out to them. I suppose it is the benefit of somebody new to it all reading the rule book for the first time (well at least most of it).  

Phil Jaques wrote (see)

No - the 'c' is not automatically set, they committee have to action it before the 'c' status is added.  The CHR (Competition Handicap Regained) is simply the entry that will appear on the handicap record as a result of the committee completing the reinstatement.  They can amend the handicap at that time if they feel it necessary, otherwise the handicap will remain at whatever the 3 score entries that trigger this have adjusted it to. The software should have some facility to alert the Committee that the 3rd score has been submitted (be it by Competitions, Supplementary Scores or away scores).  They should then action it.  Phil

The following from the manual is not clear.  The use of the word 'shall' is a problem. In what sense is it intended here? Should, may, will or must? It's a minefield. Context and intent must be known.  Further, None of the three options in 26-4 mention the 'c'. 26.3 A player whose status of handicap has under the provision of Clause 25.1 or Clause 25.3 not been marked as a ’Competition Handicap’ can regain a Competition Status Handicap by submitting 3 qualifying scores which could be 18 hole competitions, 9-hole competitions or Supplementary Scores. Each of these scores shall be entered in the player’s Handicap Record and shall adjust the Exact Handicap in accordance with the provisions of Clause 17 or Clause 22, as appropriate. Once the requisite returns have been entered into the player’s Handicap Record the Competition Status shall be re-instated subject to a review by the Handicap Committee as detailed in Clause 26.4 below. 26.4 When a Competition Handicap status is being regained in accordance with Clause 26.3 and once the requisite scores have been entered into the player’s Handicap Record, the Handicap Committee should review the handicap in a manner consistent with the principles of an Annual Review The options available are:??? Re-allot the player’s handicap at a different level (taking all information on the player’s previous handicap, current ability and previous golfing achievements into account.??? Re-allot the player’s handicap at the revised exact handicap.??? Defer the re-allotment for further consideration by the Handicap Committee.

@DH Mention of 'c' It's in the Definition of a Competition Handicap.  

JimP-6- wrote (see)

@DH Mention of 'c' It's in the Definition of a Competition Handicap.  

Jim I think you have misunderstood. I was talking about the options available to the committee when a player regains his 'c' status. I understand Phil is saying "the reinstatement to the 'c' is not automatic - the Handicap Committee have to action the reinstatement" and the committee must follow the options in 26-4I am saying that the options do not say how the 'c' is applied. Manually or automatically following the entry of the last qualifying score.

cont'd. 26.4 only mentions the value of the handicap not its status.

@DH - indeed it does not specifically say whether it is automatic or manual, but I'm reliably informed that the ISV spec is clear that it is a manual reinstatement after review, rather than a reivew after an automatic reinstatement. Phil

DH I wasnt getting confused understand new handicap and reinstatement of handicap just wanted clarifcation as I had read something on the web which had clearly stated 54 holes required to reinstate handicap. The lesson Just refer to UHS manual or golfmagic!!  has anybody got their manual yet?   

JIM P -6-  you quote "The important point is that you have to have a designated 9 hole course with the SSS set by the Union all tees on the 9 holes can have the SSS set and the SIs are set for for the 9 holes. As all uses will have to be Stableford  comps it is best to set them based upon difficulty and not match play. If you have say a 27 hole facility then only 9 of the 27 must be chosen hence the designated 9 hole course. "  We have a 27 hole facility and from what you say above I read that only one loop should be designated as a 9 hole qualifying course?  All of our 3 loops have been measy red and assessed!!  

Can't edit get error message  measy red  = measured !

You may have more than one 9 hole course. In fact the holes do not need to be 9 consecutive holes. They could be any nine if that makes negotiating the way round more convenient. eg If the course is a straight out 9 and straight back 9, then 1-4 and 5-9 could be a nine hole course.

In addition, the SSS allocated to the 9-holes is something that England Golf do as a paper exercise.  The SSS is an 18-hole SSS for the 9-hole competitions - an additional 9-holes of points is allocated to provide you with an 18-hole score for handicapping purposes.  The additional points depends on how you score for the 9-holes - if worse than the buffer zone, your points are doubled, if within or better, 18 points are added (new for this year - previously an arbitrary 18 points were added). Phil

One point (as I understand it) is the designated 9 holes have to have the SI set as SIs 1-9 based upon difficulty and not match play, as the formats for handicap or competition is always Stableford.    

They are taken from the normal 18 course card and in effect, divided by 2 and rounded conventionally. See Clause 22.4  

DH Q1 If the course has only one card and it has the SIs set for match play surely this would not meet the suggested requirements of Clause G. The above recommendations for the ‘Handicap Stroke Index’ provision are principally directed at match play and have proved to be suitable for that purpose. The ‘Handicap Stroke Index’, however, is also used widely for Stableford, par and bogey competitions. In these forms of stroke play competition the need to have a uniform and balanced distribution of strokes is less compelling. There is a cogent case for the Index in such competitions to be aligned to the ranking of holes in terms of playing difficulty irrespective of hole number. Q2 I would like to know what happens about stroke indexes where courses like Jules have 27 holes and players can choose which two nines they play?  For instance do the  clubs have index tables showing all the possible combinations? I am really only interested out curiosity. Our 9 hole course has always had the SIs set based upon difficulty so for ours it is exactly as you said and a clause I was aware of.    

all three loops are assessed with a SI of 1-9 with three SSS to cover each combination. Interesting what you say about using any combination to create an entirely different 9 hole course!!   The only difficulty with this s that it would interfere with 18 hole play. 

Jules So if each 9 already has the SI set 1 to 9 how do you decide which of the holes becomes SIs 10-18 when playing eighteen holes. I think the facility to have a designated 9 holes which are not necessarily in sequence is aimed more for clubs that only have 18 holes and having a different sequence may better suit the layout. Yes it would interfere those playing 18 holes but a club may be able to set it rules so that this at a minimum. At our club I found out that the Designated  9 hole course was established some years ago but there was so little interest in playing in 9 hole comps that we never ran them.  For Supplementary Scores it is worth noting that the R&A rule 7 (Practice) can be waived under local rule provided the Supplementary Score is recorded after a competition and not before one.  

When you playing 18 holes  if let's say you have a handicap of 15 you would receive strokes on SI 1 to 8 on the front nine and and 1-7 on the back or as I would look at it not receive a shot on SI 9 on the front and 8 and 9 on the back 

Jules rules ok wrote (see)

all three loops are assessed with a SI of 1-9 . 

SIs are not assessed. They are allocated by the club using either a recommended process or by choosing their own arbitrary method.

@ Jules So at your club the when playing eighteen holes in stableford format the SIs actually have very little relationship to overall difficulty and if the format is 18 hole match play they do not follow Congu recommendations.  

Well they do have a relationship but sometime you may have a shot on a particular hole and not if played in a different order. Interesting so because of the six different combinations you say we don't comply with CONGU recommendations. 

Jules - unless you have been provided with a specific 9-hole SSS (nothing to do with Stroke Indexes) I think you need to sort that.  By the way you have written, you appear to have SSS scores for each of the different combinations of 18 holes which is, I think, different to the SSS provided for 9-hole competitions.  Phl0il

Yes the SSS for our 9 hole course is based upon 18 holes and not 9 it is because 9 hole comps are recalculated as 18 hole comps which I think was earlier in this thread.

Where did you get the 9 hole SSS from. Presumably you have one for each of the 9 hole courses. I assume you have 3 9 holes A, B & C and you pay 18 hole comps on either A&B, B&C ot C&A. Does each 18 hole combination have its own SSS? How are the SIs allocated?  

When you playing 18 holes  if let's say you have a handicap of 15 you would receive strokes on SI 1 to 8 on the front nine and and 1-7 on the back or as I would look at it not receive a shot on SI 9 on the front and 8 and 9 on the back 

How were the 18 hole SSSs allocated/determined?

Where did you get the 9 hole SSS from. Presumably you have one for each of the 9 hole courses. I assume you have 3 9 holes A, B & C and you pay 18 hole comps on either A&B, B&C ot C&A. Does each 18 hole combination have its own SSS? How are the SIs allocated?  In reply to DH Or B&A C&B and A &C  we have 6 combinations with one scorecard .   SI are allocated  1st loop 4,7,2,5,9,3,1,8,6 2nd loop 6,8,2,5,3,9,7,1,4 3rd loop 2,8,75,9,1,3,6,4  

And Based on difficulty 

What is are the SSSs for each combination?

1&2 or 2&1 ladies par 70 SSS 73 2&3 or 3&2  ladies par 72 SSS 74 3&1 or 1&3  ladies par 70 SSS 74 Mens par and SSS are  very different