Courses on the A1 on the way to St Andrews

11 posts / 0 new
Courses on the A1 on the way to St Andrews
Off up to St Andrews for some golf in a couple of weekends, travelling up on a Thursday and my pro-am at Goswick has fallen through so need recommendations of somewhere else to play. So far I've got Gullane, but any other gems on the way up?

Ah, i saw the thread title and was about to suggest Goswick!

Eyemouth is a decent enough course. Dunbar gets a good crit too. Or veer off A1 to North Berwick route and play any of North Berwick, Gullane, Luffness, Longniddry or Kilspindie.

whats happened to the pro am?

The pro forgot to enter the team! Needless to say he's on bitch duty when we arrive in Crail on thursday night!!

Oh dear. Dunno where your travelling from but loads of courses in newcastle you could probably get in an open somewhere... make sure and leave the window down a bit if its hot - so your pro doesn't cook in the back seat while he's waiting....

Travelling from Leeds CBE. Thanks McS, looking like Kilspindie is the winner!

You could try Linden Hall, its 10 minutes off the A1 just past Morpeth. Good knock and its a pretty long course with tip top greens. and they take 2-4-1 vouchers

Linden is a swamp at the moment so stay well clear.

Played Kilspindie, was a lovely course. One of the members got a bit heated as we were playing off the white tee's (which were pretty much on the yellow tee's anyway!) and according to him, only members can play from there on medal days.......

Hi KefKef, If you aren't too bothered about a slight detour off the A1 on your way up to St Andrews, try some of the little known links courses on the Northumberland Coast. I personally love Dunstanburgh Castle Golf Club and Bamburgh Castle. The village course at Alnmouth is the oldest 9-holer in England and is a links delight. You pop your money in the honesty box and head out onto the links designed by former Open Champ Mungo Park. The 6th tee is on top of a bracken hill looking down over Alnmouth Bay - magical! You can read fuller review here of the Northumberland Coast and Castles Golf Trail:http://globalgolfermag.com/ggdestinations/europe/uk/england/coastandcastlesgolftrail/ Good luckĀ 

There is only one course of choice and that is Goswick.