Easyjet

27 posts / 0 new
Easyjet

Looking to book a golf holiday next year and am considering a flight with Easyjet. Looking at their website, it says clothes should not be packed with clubs (obviously so they can pick up an additional bag fee).

Has anyone used them for a golf trip and did they open up the bag to check you had not packed clothes with clubs.

I've flown with people who have packed everything into their golf bag - they got away with it. The check in staff usually don't check golf bags as they have to be taken to the oversize baggage desk. I guess the question is are you prepared to take the consequences if you get unlucky and find yourself challenged by a jobsworth?

The issue is with the weight of the bag... overdo it, you will be charged extra

As Ian says.  Even though you are paying extra for the golf bag, there is usually a total weight limit for all your baggage.   It's the same with snowsports, and I have heard of people having too much in their ski/board bag and being caught out.

We usually take two half sets in one travel bag using a broom handle or similar to protect the drivers and had no problems so far.

I recently traveled to the Algarve with jet2.com. They have a restriction of a max 20 kilos similar to easyjet, so I put my wife's shoes  and other items of clothing as well as my golf shoes, balls, sat nav, golf gps etc. plus I wrapped the club-heads with 2 beach towels. The whole thing was just under 20 kilos. Hassle free.

I used Jet2 this year to go to Murcia with no problems, doing the same thing. Flight dates and times for next years holiday not quite so handy so thinking of going out with Jet2 and back Easyjet. The small print with Easyjet says that you cant even put golf shoes in with the clubs but my intention is to wrap the clubs in towels in the travel bag  and just to take hand baggage, so I was wondering if anyone had had any problems doing this. Doesn't look like it so I think I will take a chance. Thanks for the replies

If you are taking a stand bag then you won't have much room to put a lot in anyway. I tend to put my golf shoes in and a couple of towels to protect the heads. When it is inside the travel cover I usually tape it up well, if they want to check whats inside they will have to take all the tape off, so in effect I'm making it "not worth the bother" try HERE

My experience is they'll get everything they can off you - if they think they can.  You pay for the size, weight, maybe even colour of your bag

hiring is definately worth thinking about

£25 ew on easyjet... Decent clubs to be had at 55 euros/£43 per week.  It saves ligging the clubs to the airport, worry of loss/damage etc...simples!

£60 return on EJ for your own clubs (2 x halfish sets in my case) or two sets for a fortnight at £43 per week hired total £172 - unless they hire half sets I'll get my son in law to do the lugging!!

It does'nt matter what you put in your golf bag.Easyjet are the worst airline for golf bag weight allowance.You pay £60 to take your bag on a return flight  but, big but, they only allow you 12kg. Now a normal carry bag with a full set plus shoes in a coverall is around 17kg. I try to avoid Easyjet if I fly on a golf holiday they are a rip off.

I have To agree RP. That is pi$$ poor. The only reason I do not hire a set when I go to the Algarve is that last time I got a set that was not suited to me.

I guess it is worth considering next time round.

12kg is not enough.
Normally mine's about 15 with only a dozen balls, they must know that 12 is going to incur extra charges.

Lou B wrote (see)

12kg is not enough. Normally mine's about 15 with only a dozen balls, they must know that 12 is going to incur extra charges.

the key element is that clubs are defined as sports equipement, in the same way as bikes - despite the fact that most people's clubs will, when packed, comply with the maximum size for normal hold luggage. it's also supposed to exclude shoes, let alone 0.6 kg of balls for a set of golf clubs, in a bag, in a semi soft case, 12kg is going to cover it - start adding shoes, clothes, and it's not (which is why they do it). I have a bigger issue with why it's more (£54) to carry 12kg of golf clubs in a bag that complies with std hold allowances than it costs for 20kg of hold luggage ie IMO the limit should be 20kg and the cost should be the same as 20kg of hold luggage. Having said that, I expect that the airports insist that golf clubs go via the oversize baggage route and charge the airlines additional handling fees for the privilidge (which get passed on).

I am off to Alicante in 4 weeks with Easyjet. I am taking a pencil bag and 10 or 11 clubs. Hopefully, there will be spare weight to pack towels shoes and balls. My hand luggage just squeezes into the dimensions checker at the check-in desk , and there is no weight restrictions on cabin bags. Maybe have to think of getting one of those jackets to pack stuff in

Duncan m, any reasonable person would expect one pair of golf shoes and a dozen balls to be included, surely?

Ryan Air and Easyjet...."reasonable?"  are you kidding?

Pretty sure you'll find easyjet is 32kg allowance

Just to clarify - If you've paid extra for sports equipment with Easyjet then your total luggage allowance is 32kg. You can split it any way you like - e.g. 22kg for your golf clubs and 10kg for your case. These are both in the hold so you still have your carry on allowance as well. Easyjet limit carry on luggage by size and not weight so if you're good at packing......

Tim E wrote (see)

Just to clarify - If you've paid extra for sports equipment with Easyjet then your total luggage allowance is 32kg. You can split it any way you like - e.g. 22kg for your golf clubs and 10kg for your case. These are both in the hold so you still have your carry on allowance as well. Easyjet limit carry on luggage by size and not weight so if you're good at packing......

Tim, the 'extra' in your summary is in addition to hold luggage, not just the sports equipement charge (which is larger than hold luggage charge)   "One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!" Most try and travel with clubs and hand luggage, for obvious reasons, and hence the issues being raised.

so what weight can my golf bag go upto without incurring any charges on top ??

Last time I traveled with Jet2.com. 20 Kg for golf bag and no issues. The only problem is that they depart from East Midlands (i think)

Beware of filling up your golf bag with 'other stuff'. On one trip we went straight to a course from the airport. Running to the first tee to 'beat the light' my mate ended up carrying his spare shoes, washbag and towels around in his stand bag. We creased up when he was fishing around in his bag for yet another ball and pulled out a toothbrush instead! 

3PUTTMIKE wrote (see)

so what weight can my golf bag go upto without incurring any charges on top ??

According to Easyjet's website you have to have a piece of hold luggage and your golf bag - total allowance 32kg but split how you like. So in thoery you can have a golf bag at 31kg and another bag at 1kg without incurring any extra charges.

I had a look again and it seems to say that if you purchase the additional sports equipment, 12kg, then that is on top of your hold allowance, 20kg. If you dont have a case then your golf equipment can be up to 32kg