Going abroad for golfing holiday

39 posts / 0 new
Going abroad for golfing holiday
Hi, myself and partner & a friend and partner are looking to go away this year for 2 weeks. Myself and my friend would like to be able to play golf, hilst our partners can relax in the sun on the beach, etc. Trouble is the only place I know of is Costa Del Sol, so would like some over suggestions of cheapish resorts that would be nice, but also have plenty of golf on offer locally. We are no pros though, I play off 28 (or at least aim to!!) and my friend played off 15 but hasn't been in the game for last couple of years. Any resort or destaination recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

HI AndrewDepends on how far you're prepared to travel, and the time of year.Dont have specific recommendations but two weeks away would allow you enough for a long haul flight (South Africa, The States, The East) all destinations I am sure you will find places that cater for golfers and non-golfers.If you're not planning on going that far out, what about France(all over), Portugal (Algarve) or even Ireland?Have a look on the travel page on GOLFmagichttp://www.golfmagic.com/offers/offers.asp?sp=&v=3, you should find a few more options that might match what you're looking for.

Portugal is always a good choice and the far end of the Algarve is great for families. We went for a number of years to Luz, near Lagos, and there was plenty for all to do. I particularly like Parque de Florista as a course, bit hilly not so popular so always some great deals on green fees. There is also Palmares close by as well, lovely course and interesting mix of links and parkland.

Where do you stay near there Al? I am in need of a trip, we have stayed in Vila' and Carvoeiro plenty of times. Looking for something different!

Initially we were taking large villa's on the hillside behind the main road(325 I think). However this meant beach trips requiring a car so we actually switched to staying in Luz itself. I would imagine, as the kids get older, we may migrate to something more activity orientated. There are now customised complexes, generally centered around a golf course. These offer nice villas/apartments and then a huge range of outdoor activities for all ages. Downside being it would again be 'in the car' for the beach.I am hopefully off, for golf only, in the first week of May, but this would be staying at Albuefura and doing the rounds of Vilamoura, Vila Sol, Quinta etc, all courses I love.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We have hit a slight problem though, travel agents are telling us that we will need handicap certificate/cards to play in Costa Del Sol, and I don't have one as yet. Are they right?

Andrew, I suppose it is always a risk if you don't have one. However I have played about 50 rounds in Portugal and 12 rounds in Spain without ever being asked to produce a cert.A lot of clubs just give you a photocopied bit of paper with the 'secretaries' signature on it. It doesn't take Einstein to 'dummy' up something official looking on a PC. Make sure it refers to a club you don't like, that way, if it goes pearshaped, you aren't bothered.

Oh and I have seen guys playing whose ability, and on course dress, screamed total beginner at you. Travel agents may make this point but most courses, over there, are happy to get your money and don't examine anything too closely.

Just booked our flights, 4 of us going 3/5/4 to 10/5/4, total flgiht cost

more and more golf courses i Spain and portugal are asking for handicap certificares so beware!I have never been asked for one in all my years of travelling abroad to play golf buit they are now clamping down.

Andrew, there are some very good courses in Tenerife and, as yet, I've never been asked to show a handicap certificate.

Andrew - I'd also recommend that you take a look at the coastal area of Spain north of the Costa del Sol. If you skip La Manga (too expensive) there are a number of good courses south of Torrevieja (La Finca, Villamartin, Campoamor, Las Ramblas), and then a clutch around Alicante (Alicante Golf, Bonalba, El Plantio, Alende). Further north, between Valencia and Benidorm, there are some excellent courses - El Saler (top 5 in Europe), El Bosque, Escorpion around Valencia itself, Oliva Nova on a resort of the same name with a great beach, and Denia La Sella, which is handy for the unspoilt stretch of coastline - Calpe, Moraira and Denia. The climate is great here and the price of golf is reasonable. This is a popular area for holiday villa rental, so you can find plenty of reasonably-priced accommodation.The following website has a lot of information on this area:www.golfandleisuredirect.comWith regard to handicap certificates, courses are starting to be more vigilant in enforcing the rules - however, you can get a certificate from an organisation such as Golfers Club UK for about

The only course in the Algarve to ask me for a Certificate was Vilamoura Old Course... the others in that area didnt!

I have no experience outside of the UK of courses however on a trip to St. Andrews one of my friends was asked to show his certificate (which he had genuinely forgotten - missing out on the Old Course is a no, no).The starter asked about his h'cap, "I play off fifteen" was the reply, to which the starter said: "Well if you wouldn't mind just setting one up for me..."I can only imagine the pressure.----Just off topic but what is the lowest maximum allowed handicap you have heard of on the more premier venues? 24, 18, 14???You know, something to aspire to.

Chris, the lowest I've seen is 18 at Muirfield. Generally, it's 24 for men and 28/30 for ladies.

I have played golf in France, Spain, Portugal, South Africa, Canaries and have only ever been asked at Villamoura old course and Taure Golf in Gran Canaria (a nine hole course!!)

For something different try Taba Heights, Egypt but only if you like it HOT! I'll be happy to answer any questions.

I'm sure the OP appreciates your advice, Bea - the only problem is that he asked the question originally over six years ago, so I suspect he has had his trip and returned home long since!

COSTA BLANCA IS THE PLACE FOR A GOLFING HOLIDAY, GREAT COURSES, GREAT BEACHES CHEAP FLIGHTS AND GOOD ACCOMADATION, ALSO PLENTY OFF NIGHTLIFE IF YOU WANT IT. MOST COURSES ARE OFFERING TWO FOR ONE DEALS 70 EUROS WITH BUGGIE FOR TWO PLAYERS. I WORK AT ALICANTE GOLF COURSE GREAT COURSE BUT I HAVE PLAYED AT ABOUT TEN OTHERS AROUND THE REGION AND THEY ARE AS GOOD AS ANYTHING IN COSTA DEL SOL AND THE ALGARVE, BUT QUITE A BIT CHEAPER.

spain is cheap at the moment. check out this course

http://www.videogolfguides.com/elchaparral

speak to mike at sunshine golf

http://www.sunshine-golf.co.uk/

he'll sort you out with the best greenfees on the coast

Hi just played a new course Font del llop just outside alicante on the road to Aspe, and what a great course it is. It cost 70 euros for two players including a buggy. Its a difficult course the first time you play it but should be easier second time.

Try Mallorca. There are about 15 courses there with a few goodies near Palma.

I know Pattaya,Thailand has a reputation of the wrong kind but there is so much more to do than going bar hopping.One of them is golf,very cheap green fees and many many good golf courses.There are many places like bars and sports centers that do golf days every day of the week.Transport is provided with tournaments organised.If you need some more information....Google the "Pattaya Post" or the "Pattaya People" newspapers and look in the golf sections.

you could consider tunisia, Port El kantouii was enjoyable
or further afield, I would strongly recommend Reserva Conchal in Costa Rica, or Playacar mexico (I believe the other mexican golf resorts are very good also)

ROBERT SMITH 18 wrote (see)

COSTA BLANCA IS THE PLACE FOR A GOLFING HOLIDAY, GREAT COURSES, GREAT BEACHES CHEAP FLIGHTS AND GOOD ACCOMADATION, ALSO PLENTY OFF NIGHTLIFE IF YOU WANT IT. MOST COURSES ARE OFFERING TWO FOR ONE DEALS 70 EUROS WITH BUGGIE FOR TWO PLAYERS. I WORK AT ALICANTE GOLF COURSE GREAT COURSE BUT I HAVE PLAYED AT ABOUT TEN OTHERS AROUND THE REGION AND THEY ARE AS GOOD AS ANYTHING IN COSTA DEL SOL AND THE ALGARVE, BUT QUITE A BIT CHEAPER.

STOP SHOUTING!

Thailand is a fantastic golf destination in general not just pattaya. There are lots of awesome places to golf such as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Phuket, Chiang Rai and many more. The golf here is cheap compaired to its western counterparts as well as the resorts. Caddies are mandatory on most courses and run between $10 - $15 for a round of 18 holes (not including tip) and they are mostly very friendly, pleasant and helpful young girls. A lot of people consider Thailand one of the best places in the world to Golf. Due to its cheap prices and very well maintained courses. Once you try thailand you will be raving about it. Trust me I was. Info: Here are some sites with more info if your interested. *** You have an interest - no advertising in the forum *** 

This info may be a bit late but I just returned from 2 weeks at Boavista Golf in Lagos in the Algarve. You can rent a 2 bed two bath luxury apartment with access to outside pool, indoor pool jacuzzi and sauna for free with full spa treatments for the Ladies. Great to have breakfast overlooking the fairways and the course is always in fantastic condition. There are other courses around like Palmares (great course with fantastic sea views with front 9 parkland and back 9 by the sea) but would not recommend Park Da Floresta. Greens needed some attention. See www.boavistaholidays.com

Almost forgot. Avoid going in August  too hot.

you didnt say how much!

Well it gets pretty hot. Most days in the 30's. I was there in June and some days it was 27/28 and it dropped to about 25 at night. On the morning travelling to Faro Airport, the reported temp according to the gauge in the car was 28 at 7.30 am. One consolation, the ball travels further

kashmir is suggested for abroad golfing holiday

I haven't done it yet, though I would seriously consider Tunisia ( wife isn't too happy with Arab lands), Turkey has been strongly recommended to me, also Cyprus, great beaches and some great courses right on the beach, wine is good and the history of the island will provide great trips.

If you want to go one step further, Florida

Don't think there is anywhere cheap nowadays, just came back from the Costa Del sol and most of the courses were empty, even the Airport was devoid of golfers where at one time there used to be loads of golfers in the check in queues. Oh and this thread is "ancient"

Hi, Please feel free to look at all our  editorial to find something to suit. You can go through all editions of Great Golf Magazine online and check out lots of locations, not just covering golf, but where to stay, food, how to get there, what to do.You can access the edition at;http://www.greatgolfmagazine.co.uk/left-nav-pages/articles-from-current-publication.aspx   

Well if it is of any use to forum members

Altorreal in the Costa Blanca sth,, Spain is only 55 euros for 2 players inclusive of buggy.

Vistabella in same area 68 euros, same deal

All inclusive packages for a week are now as low as ??389 pppwk inc of all drinks at accomm ( no bar closing time limitations as per the norm ), Full English breakfast or cereals and 4 course evening meals, all transport and 4 rounds of golf at aforementioned courses (inc buggies)

You can see further Special offers @

http://www.golf-holidays-spain.com/special-offers.html

Anybody heard anything about this place? looks good and 8 of us thinking about going sep/oct next year http://www.golf-holidays-spain.com/spanish-golf-inclusive.html  

Never heard of them but the price is good.

Great and affordable golfing holiday in Portil in Southern Spain. Very close to.Faro airport and also close to Sevilla. English speaking owners can arrange everything for you, nice apartment with great views to the sea, self catering breakfast, advice about the area, arrange golf courses......
It was an unforgetable vacation!