Golf in Cornwall

15 posts / 0 new
Golf in Cornwall

Going to see the in-laws over the long bank holiday and have planned to fit in a round. They are based near Saltash so as I see it I have a choice of 3 courses.

Opinions/votes would be appreciated especially if you've played them before.

China Fleet - seems fairly standard course, not one to write home about but would not break the bank.

Dartmouth Golf and Country Club - looks very nice and a really interesting course with a killer 18th par 3 - long but big downhill and carry over water! This also seems fairly well priced but would be a good hour drive.

St Mellion - well it had to be on the list especially as I have to actually drive past it to get to their house! This would be a special treat to play but I'm worried I might find it a bit tough (planing to play as a single if Father-in-law decides his knee isnt up to it) and would be a bit of pain to the bank which doesn't help considering I'm saving for some new irons.

St Mellion is very tough, bordering on unfair but it's an experience. I would drive to Lanhydroc (sp) before bothering with Dartmouth. 

That looks a great course thanks 

St enodoc, have played dartmouth and st mellion, and none are fit to lace the flags of st enodoc.

Another very nice course admittedly in devon but not far is thurlestone. Quite short but beautifully laid out.

That sand mountain on the 7th is absurd but in a terrifyingly good way I have a feeling that is one to work up to when I've got a bit more time on the course than I have currently!! 

St Enedoc is very good but very expensive. St Mellion is a challenge, like most Nicklaus courses, not my favourite. Lanhydroc is very good and I also liked Trevose and Trethorne. One of my favourite "hidden gems" is Launceston GC, it's rarely on any groups radar, is great VFM and very playable.

Sorry OP, I figured St Enedoch would be too far to travel, but if it's within your range do it, worth every penny. It is steeped in history and tradition (Betjeman was a member), has beautiful views and the course is stunning. Trevose is good but St Enedoch is special.    if only for the views of the estuary, it is a great day out 

Marc2 wrote (see)

Sorry OP, I figured St Enedoch would be too far to travel, but if it's within your range do it, worth every penny. It is steeped in history and tradition (Betjeman was a member), has beautiful views and the course is stunning. Trevose is good but St Enedoch is special.    if only for the views of the estuary, it is a great day out 

I agree! Apart from its spelling - no 'h'. Perhaps cheaper as an 'evening' round if the long return journey isn't a problem. The aroma of the Camel Estuary is lovely too - yes really! I've actually heard the China Fleet is well worthwhile.

+1 for Lanhydrock - stayed there a few years ago, Nice course and a good restaurant. But if you are going to be in Saltash, then China Fleet is on the doorstep and it sounds pretty good in the reviews.

St Enodoc (no e or h) is one of the best courses Ive ever played.  But then the weather was gorgeous, which probably helped.

Thanks all for the advice there are some gems in there I wouldn't have heard about. After going for a club fitting the other night though I'm going to need every penny I've got for a while so I think I'll stick to China Fleet for now and plan for a trip either later in the year or next to play the St Enodoc and Lanhydrock tracks.

A mate and I went to Cornwall last year on a golfing break.   We played Lanhydrock - Pretty poor in my opinion, Lostwithiel I enjoyed most of the course there are a few poor holes in the back 9.   Carlyon Bay looks great on the webpage but was awful.  St Enodoc, great course bit expensive.  Perranporth - Superb, Oakhampton - OK and Launceston - excellent.  

Bowood park, north Cornwall a decent enough track for a holiday round. Greens in good condition when played this weekend. Good offers if you look around too .