golfing holiday

6 posts / 0 new
golfing holiday

almost finished booking a golf trip for the end of the year before i go home and am looking for one, maybe two together, more courses to add to the list and was looking for recomendations,

currently am playing pga centenary and the kings course at gleneagles and kintyre and ailsa at turnberry. am looking for big name courses and green fees arnt really an issue (once in a lifetime trip and all)

courses i am considering at the moment are kingsbarn, (because ive already played st andrews and carnoustie and the dunhill links combo would be cool)

lytham st annes (bob charles won his british open there)

i will be coming back to coventry so thought about maybe trying the brabazon.

does any one have suggestions of any other courses that are relatively easy to get a game on a thursday in october and that shouldnt be missed.

well...have played Lytham st annes and whilst fun to retread bobby jones and other famous foot steps at a very prestigious yet friendly club there are no views and it was super hard with the bunkering. decent price out of season with lunch however.
looking at your itinerary, going over to fife for kingsbarns is well out of your way. and i would play Queens over PGA Centenary every day given the choice.

looking at some courses to play on the way back down,
southerness is excellent, silloth on solway is superb and well worth the trip, brampton talkin tarn is a lovely Braid course, heading over to southport coast hillside is superb but if you are up for spending money I have baulked at Royal Birkdale but it gets the reputation if you have the cash. you will like formby though.

Good luck !

Muirfield a big enough name Stuart

Royal Liverpool would be kind of on your way, agree with above post on Formby, Birkdale and Hillside.

Got to play Kingsbarns, I played it in torrential rain last October and even with that horrific weather I still think its one of the best I've played.

definitely play kingsbarns.pga centenary is a b***h of a course to walk so take a ride onĀ  buggy if you want to enjoy.the queens course at gleneagles is also a great track. (better than centenary imo)also the dukes / the torrance st andrew's bay cruden bay / edzell .the list of great courses is endless