Handicap Cert Portugal?

36 posts / 0 new
Handicap Cert Portugal?
I don't have a handicap certificate. What is the lie of the land in Portugal? Will most courses still take me for a round? Cheers,
Dave

Mixed.I ahve been asked for them in Vilamoura, Vila Sol and Pennina. But plenty dont ask, especially if you're a resident of the hotel!Where are you going?

Not sure yet.It's a real last minute thing. Looking to fly from Mcr to Faro. Can get a flight for

Played Alto Golf course with my son several times and even though we carried our certs. we weren't asked in fact the guy even slipped us a few discount vouchers; couldn't have been more helpful. I think some clubs allow you to have their resident pro have a look at you and he can allow you on if he deems you proficient enough.

What do you shoot David? Also ,what sort of group is going?That'll make a difference to my answer!

Billy no mates, I'm afraid. Will just be on my own, so I expect to be paired up with some other group.I can normally shoot a low 90's.....So I guess that gives me a handicap of 20-22 ish?

ive been asked for h/cap cert at most ive played on algarve - salgados didnt ask but i wouldnt play there again if it was free nor lagunaprovided your not a total hacker, im sure youll get a game, just say you didnt expect to play golf and there were some clubs in apartment and you decided on playing.take balls and golf shoes, tuck the collared shirt in and take off your cap when you go in pro shop. thats a good start

try old village in vilamoura for accommodation, good value self catering apts surrounded by pinhal golf course

Wilky, what was wrong with Salgados and Laguna, especially Salgados as I have the chance to play there cheap in April and are there any others you would swerve in that area

imo you understand - id swerve:salgados, millenium (some good holes), lagunaca, 19 - 27 at vila sol.must plays are: penina, pinheiros altos, old course, pinhal, vila sol 1-18, quinta do lago (south)and if you can afford, san lorenzo (not played)

from what i have seen of handicap certs you could knock one up in word in 5mins. No point going all the way to portugal to be refused a game for a piece of paper! Not that i condone this sort of thing!i played spain last november - never asked for actual cert. and only once asked for a figure.

Ho Ho. I know someone who wrote to a well know club asking for a Society Fixture.A quick bit of skull-duggery with the letter heading and the photo copier and "he has a handicap certificate!!Most places with set you up with a game.Vilamoura has everything you'll need for a decent stay. If you take your replica footy shirt on holiday, you may enjoy Albufeira! Or go futher west for less busy resorts.Email me if you want specifics as I have spent a decent amount of time on the Algarve

Salgados is an excellent course, Laguna isn't as bad as some make out either. They have something in common though - water. Lots of it. But it doesn't make either of them a bad course.

I rather liked Salgados, obviously not up there with San Lorenzo, but a nice friendly place. I was not so fond of laguna, although it was very windy when we played making the long carries over water almost unplayable.Villamora Old course asked for handicap cerificates, but Villa Sol didn't. Can't remember about San Lorenzo or quinta do lago. Best bet is to knock one up yourself, just in case. Just make sure you are reasonabley smart and you will be fine.Enjoy!! (make sure you take enough balls!!!)

thanks everyone.Don't have a printer at home, so I can't "prepare" a cert to take a long. So it looks like I'll be winging it. I'll wear my best golf threads.....!

david if you can afford a trip to portugal surely you can afford a trip to the library/local print shop with a floppy/removable storage/cd with your 'handicap cert' and they'll print it off for you for 10p a sheet.Failing that i have a template i knocked up in 2mins which exactly what a lotta clubs use. I'll send you a cert!I don't condone this mind, but going all the way to portugal to be told you can't play because you don't have a piece of paper is not 'winging it' in my opinion.Take the paper and you won't be asked. Don't take it and you know you will.

Hi MisterS3,

Hi MisterS3,

Wonder if you can help i have the same problem im not a member of a club and have also been to Portugal and played Victoria and Old also was never asked for a Handiecap Cert.

Problem is im traveling to Tenerife for christmas and am looking to play they have asked for a Cert was wondering do you still have a template i could use please?

Long shot i know but thought i'd ask.

Thanks 

Adam

Adamclark

not sure i like the tone of this thread - like 'lets make up our own handicap certs'.whats that all about then?and salgados - fishing is a more appropriate sport on there.laguna is a park with a few lakes although not as many as salgados.

wilky its about making sure you get a game when you get to portugal!not everyone is a member of a club and can get a handicap cert. How many times in the Uk have you been asked for a cert?its not about faking it for competition purposes.

yeah youre right misters3 and while youre at it, throw the rule book out of the window too!

I shot a nett 68 at Salgados, only lost 1 ball to the fishes. I like courses I can nett 68 on ...... oh yeah, I had one of those at Laguna as well (2nd time round, 1st time a 73).

wilky if all courses made all players need a handicap cert i wouldn't be playing golf - neither would quite a few people. we would only be able to play muni's and that wouldn't have kept me interested. also my trip to valderamma for volvo master last year and related golf in spain wouldn't have happened. i wouldn't have risked not playing after spending quite a bit of money for a bit of paper.Its only a game after all and unless you can't actually hit a ball what is the the problem?get off your high horse. its not as if i suggested you don't play golf by the rules. i am just saying that golf should be open to everyone regardless of social status and ability to join a club.

Stop squabbling boys.The only reason I would be "manufacturing" a certificate is because I don't have a handicap currently, and without it, I might not be able to play. I can play to 20 or 22, so it's not as though I'm tricking my way onto a course that I shouldn't be allowed to play on......Anyway, flights are booked, and I'm away!!!!!!!

exactly my point david.i'm sure you will have a good time :)

So if the course requires you to have a handicap, and you admit you don't (but you'll fake one up), you're NOT tricking your way on to a course? Hmm.I'm not getting on a high horse, just trying to understand how admitting "guilt" leaves you innocent of a "crime".I was paired with a couple of guys at Vilamoura, fake HC certificates, and it showed. They shouldn't have been on a putting green never mind a golf course. They may have been extremes of a type, but it made me understand why clubs and courses insist on certificates, and it's not "snobbery".

Here here GB toatlly agree.Portugal - yes I have been asked but only at Vilamoura Old not on the following courses:Qunita North & SouthPinheros AltosVilamoura MilleniumSo yes it is worth taking a handicap certificate.

david - obrigado mate, no problems you go ahead and enjoy, no squabbles from me, just didnt think much to the contrived certificate idea. my advice, join a club!!misters3 - "if all courses made all players need a handicap cert i wouldn't be playing golf" - i take it the club where youre a member in lanarkshire refuse to issue these worthless pieces of paper then?no high horse but im not sure you understand what a handicap certificate is designed to do. obviously it indicates your playing handicap but as golf buoy points out, it further indicates that as a member of a bona fide golf club, you have a grasp of the rules, etiquette and care of a course and that you respect the local rules of the club like the 90 degree rule which is often applied in spain and portugal, call on holes, replacing divots, repairing pitch marks, keeping up with the group ahead etc. etc. etc.strange but i didnt notice anyone advising david to join a club yet several of you were quick to offer suggestions on how to fake certificates to play championship golf courses.got any more scams that might interest some of us high horse club members?

Think we've had enough on this thread. Have spoken with the folks at Vilamoura and they are happy for me to play Laguna, Millenium, and Pinhal.At the end of the day, whilst I might not be up to (12.0) standard, I am good enough to play a course that asks you to be able to play off a max. of 28. And I don't think I should have to produce a piece of paper to validate that......Happy golfing, everyone.David

wilky - first sorry for highhorse comment. No excuses should have my wrists slapped for that. I'll blame a nights drinking and bad sleep though :)And i get what you are saying now. on the championship courses etc. and the etiquette knowledge never came to my mind. And GB i do agree you should have a level of ability. PLEASE DISREGARD MY POSTINGS ON THIS THREAD (but not the bit i've written in this post) :)Just as aside you can get a golfpunk online handicap cert in 5mins for what its worth :)

The EGU do a "nomad" scheme as well, there are plenty ways of getting a VALID handicap other than joining a club.As an adjunct to the way this thread has turned, some info from a contributor to FGI, I think based in Sweden (although it could be Denmark, whatever - location is not important).They have a "basic" training regime in place which includes things like etiquette, Rules, and playing ability. You must pass the "basic" exam BEFORE you are allowed on a course without an already qualified person.

no probs misters3, nothing personal intended eitherpersonally i'd like to see everyone on the site encouraged to join a club as it promotes a greater understanding of everything to do with golf, you make loads of chums and generally play in a competitive but gentlemanly spirit. not suggesting for one minute that all non club members dont know theyre onions, just saying that club membership promotes the correct attitude. equally there are rsole club members and rsole non-members. most of the non members ive met often need some guidance on their etiquette and rule interpretation.david, in vilamoura i would choose pinhal first, millenium second and wouldnt bother with laguna

cheers wilky :)

Thanks everyone.I am looking to join a club this year, somewhere in the NorthWest. Been working in Edinburgh for last 9 months though, so it has not been possible.Itinerary is Laguna tomorrow, Millenium Sat and Pinhal Sun. So if you're correct Wilky, I'm saving the best til last.TaDavid:)

millenium has some lovely holes around the middle of the course, start and finish are a little uninspiring - buggies are minty though 40 euros two years ago

Hi MisterS3,

Hi MisterS3,

Wonder if you can help i have the same problem im not a member of a club and have also been to Portugal and played Victoria and Old also was never asked for a Handiecap Cert.

Problem is im traveling to Tenerife for christmas and am looking to play they have asked for a Cert was wondering do you still have a template i could use please?

Long shot i know but thought i'd ask.

Thanks 

Adam

Adamclark

Playing Adeje mate but when

Playing Adeje mate but when my wife booked they said would need one?

Adamclark