It's "low season" in France

12 posts / 0 new
It's "low season" in France

Just thought I'd make some of you jealous by saying that, bizarre as it may sound, July & August are off-peak times for golf in France, specially around Paris. To get people in, quite a few courses have to advertise crazy prices. There are some restrictions, but if you are prepared to tee off between 12 and 2pm or after 4pm it's brill. Here are a few examples:

- Albatros (where Jiminez recently won the French Open): 35€

- PIC (north of Paris): 30€ 

- Quite a few other "not bad" to "pretty good" courses with greenfees between 10€ and 30€, specially if playing during the week.

Mental.

DD, I am in the Loire Valley in August, I will take a squint at some websites. Did you find the offers above on any particular site?

i am off down to Perpignan this week and the local one to there wants €70 as well

Just found this course near Saumur, looks fabulous, unfortunately it's 79e

The €35 for L'Albatros is on their website (only in French though), and it is after 2pm. weekday. €80 pre 14.00.

I've only really looked at the Paris area and surrounding areas. I imagine the same offers wont exist in holiday locations (i.e. where the Parisian golfers have left Paris for). I haven't found a website that centralises the offers. I'll have a look at the Loire valley and the Cote d'Azur and post back if I see anything. PS: Don't forget that France is 1 hour ahead of UK, so a 2pm tee time is same as 1pm tee time in UK as far as daylight is concerned. Also, a bit stereotypic but true, the French like to have a proper lunch, so getting a teetime between 12 and 2 is usually quite easy.

Birdie Boy (11.6) Nearly WooHoo wrote (see)

Just found this course near Saumur, looks fabulous, unfortunately it's 79e

OK, I see a problem here. First, I only look at the clubs' websites in French. For Bretesch, the first thing you see on the French website is a set of special offers :- 25€ a round if teeing off after 4pm (3pm UK time) - ends 30th July- 32€ a round at certain times throughout the day, subject to availability - ends 30th July- 55€ for round & lunch at the chateau.  This is obviously because the Brits are hugely rich and the French very poor (and not at all to do with chauvanism or ripping off tourists).I'll check the Cannes & Perpignan courses, although Cannes is notoriously expensive anyway.

Ian H wrote (see)

i am off down to Perpignan this week and the local one to there wants €70 as well

Couldn't see any deals at St Cyprien.The only other 18-hole course in the area, Falgos, costs 67€/round. Again no deals, apart from buying a "Golfy" card, but you'd have to play 6 times to break even. Font Romeu is a 9-holer and at 6000ft altitude, but only costs 41€ for 18 holes.I think there's a new 9-hole course near Perpignan, called Golf Club de Montescot in the village of Villeneuve de la Raho. No idea if it's a real course or a potato field.

Mindthepond wrote (see)

I have just booked a couple of courses near Cannes and it costing 73euro a round!! DtD do you have a source for your costings or are they from the clubs themselves??

Couldn't see any deals in or near Cannes itself, but a bit further afield you have:Golf Blue Green Sainte Maxime (July & Aug):  greenfees start at 30€ (limited availability)Domaines de Saint Endréol (July): greenfee at 50€ instead of 72€, if teetime between 12 & 3pm, or 47€ if teeing off after 5pm.Golf de Barbaroux (July & Aug & Sep): greenfee at 55€ on weekdays after 4pm.

If anyone is travelling to the Vendee area, I would recommend St.Jean de Monts GC. Haven't played if for a few years but it was a gem.Front 9 is undulating pine woodland and back nine is true links so you get the best of both worlds.Greens were superb and very challenging.

David The Duffer wrote (see)

Ian H wrote (see)

Couldn't see any deals at St Cyprien.The only other 18-hole course in the area, Falgos, costs 67€/round. Again no deals, apart from buying a "Golfy" card, but you'd have to play 6 times to break even. Font Romeu is a 9-holer and at 6000ft altitude, but only costs 41€ for 18 holes.I think there's a new 9-hole course near Perpignan, called Golf Club de Montescot in the village of Villeneuve de la Raho. No idea if it's a real course or a potato field.

The Golf Club de Montescot is indeed a newish 9 hole course and is by no means a potato field.   I played it a year past May not long after it opened (€45 for 18 holes at that time).  I was a bit disappointed in the condition of the course: newness is one thing, unraked bunkers with weeds is another.  Also the tees had not been constructed but simply cut out of ordinary ground and so  were a bit lumpy and uneven.   Greens weren't bad and in general fairways were good and I enjoyed the round.  The setting is lovely with fine views of Mont Canigou.  I will be giving it another go in the next couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see how much it has improved.There is also a practice range (€2 for 40 balls) but the balls are incredibly awful.  Useful for keeping your swing going but i doubt if you learn anything from the flight of the ball.  In some instances, "flight" is an exaggeration

I've now had a couple of games over Montescot, one in August and the second one just on Friday past. The course has certainly improved in terms of the growth on the fairways, the greens and the bunkers. The tees remain annoyingly uneven and always will until they are levelled out and properly built. The bunkers are now weed-free and well raked but the sides need to be properly cut - they are uneven with a mixture of sand fllled hollows and long grass to the extent in places where it might be difficult actually to define what is bunker. The greens are all in very good condition in terms of the density and consistency of the grass but on Friday were incredibly soft: pitch marks were ball deep and overall the surface was uneven because every footfall left an indentation. Yet they were firm enough in August (and there hasn't been rain recently).

Still