Off to Vilamoura next week

9 posts / 0 new
Off to Vilamoura next week

Off to Vilamoura playing a few courses I have not played before.  Would be grateful for advice on whether you need buggies on these courses due to the hard walk i.e. long gaps between holes or hilly.  The courses are Quinta Do Lago North and South, Vilamoura Old and San Lorenzo.  Cheers

Thanks for that, yes I've seen the forecast was even mentioned on CountryFile last night.  Generally can you drive on the fairways at QDL?

QdL North probably best with buggy...as a few walks between holes.

South is very walkable. 9th green to 10th tee is a bit further than normal.

90 degree rule usually in place.

I always walk San Lorenzo. Much better walking.

Old I have walked and used buggy. A few hills nothing too bad.

If you get lucky with times you can have some decent round times.

Mind you, this time last year was much hotter than usual so that might effect your choice.

Had a great trip to Vilamoura

Had a great trip to Vilamoura and somehow missed all the rain whilst golfing which was torrential at times.  The best course all round was QDL South; the greens were absolutley perfect, fast and true.  San Lorenzo was a great layout but the greens were very slow, we were told they had not been cut due to the weather.  Old Course was extremely good, the greens were not as quick as QDL South but still very good.  A course that needs accurate tea shots and tight entrances to most greens.  QDL North was the least rated amongst our group.  The greens were good but probably too many humps and borrows and not as true as QDL South.  I used an electric trolley each day and apart from the long walks at QDL north it was fine.  Overall a great trip, but do think Vilamoura is getting more seedy as years go by.  Also the club shops could sell so much more gear if they just reduced their prices a bit.

I agree, really like Boavista

I agree, really like Boavista, Alamos & Palmares (not played now 27 Holes).  Also when we have stayed in Alvor a trip to Parque De Floresta is always good fun.  Apart from QDL North I has not played the others mainly due to cost, but nice to play new courses.  Also got the Old course on twilight for 75Euros, which is not too bad.

We got round the old in 4hr

We got round the old in 4hr 15.  But at that par3 one of the guys in our group went back to the clubhouse to get the marshalls to speed up the group in front.  He reluctantly came out but would not 'encourage' them to speed up.  Another 20 mins and we would have finished in the dark.

Must have been in Portugal

Must have been in Portugal the same time! We booked into Pestana Gramacho in a Villa, 4 days with as much golf as you wanted. Tee'd off each day at 7:30am and got round in a three ball in under 3hrs each day. Tried Silves just up the road for a change and got through 8 holes in 2hr40m to find 3-4 groups waiting on the 9th tee, a group on the 9th green and 3 groups progressing down the 10th. We called it a day at that point, i think if we stayed we would be looking at a 6hr round.....

Talking to the guys in the pro shop they just werent interested, that plus the €45 cost for a buggy means we are contemplating going elsewhere next year, maybe Croatia/Bulgaria if i can find somewhere nice to go.

Not sure how much golf there is

Not sure how much golf there is in Croatia but if you can find enough then I'd really encourage you to go. Croatia is beautiful.

The information you share is

The information you share is great. I appreciate your sharing. Thank you very much

fnaf