Salobre Golf, Gran Canaria.

1 post / 0 new
Salobre Golf, Gran Canaria.

Just got back from a week at the Sheraton Hotel Salobre which is about 5 miles inland from Maspalomas on Gran Canaria.. Hotel is great, fabulous facilities with all right food, Gran Canaria is depressing wont be going there again. But its the golf I am posting about! Short game facilities, driving range, computer this and that for all the techy stuff so you can practise to your hearts content.. The courses though are what this is about.. The Old course (now called South) is as you would expect palm tree lined fairways green raised above the fairways and reasonably quick and good.. One hole stands out,  the 11th is a par 3, the tees, of which could be seen from our bedroom, were cut into the side of a volcanic hill high above the green  couldnt see the green but watch golfers looking for balls amongst the cactus all week.. 

As I say this hole stood out on the old course, however it wouldnt have done on the new, South course cos all the holes were like that, You have seen the courses in Navada, well its like that  huge canyons to hit over, carries over cactus strewn volcanic rubble, tees high over little green fairways the ball hung in the air for ages , great fun waiting to see where it landed. Havnt had so much fun on a golf course for ages..(not so the Austrian farmer we played with, he lost 15 balls!!but he was crap!! and kept trying to make the shots instead of going to the drop zone!)  Yes I know 51/2 hours and having to use buggies  is a bore but its well worth it nothing I have played before comes close for the sheer exhilaration of making those shots.. AND the little finger off the end grip thing is still working!!