Scotland

36 posts / 0 new
Scotland
My misses has never been to Scotland, so we thought we would go there for a holiday this year, you know rent a little cottage for a week and see the sights. Now, I'm sure I'm getting a bit of a reputation for being a careful with my money, but I like to get value. She has booked the bank holiday at the end of May off work as we want to take our grandson with us, so that's not helped, but £500 for a week !!! And then £25-£30 notes for a round of golf in the week.  Are they trying to keep it exclusive or something ?

£25-£30 a round seems pretty good to me, try getting that in Ireland these days! Several places do "multi tickets".... I am sure the Scots lads on here will be in soon.

I hope so. We've been look around the Selkirk, Kelso area

This might helpA quick goggle for "Borders" didnt take long.  I am sure there are some regulars who live in the area

Go to The Isle of Arran - known as Scotland in miniature. Mountains, lochs, distillery, brewery, accommodation to suit all budgets and 7 golf courses. You can buy the Arran Golf Pass for £95 and play all 7 courses.My favourites are Shiskine and Corrie.

Crazyface wrote (see)

I hope so. We've been look around the Selkirk, Kelso area

Only just managing to cross the border thenAs that's about 4 hours drive from here - I can't recomend any courses other than Eyemouth which is a good seaside course - it boasts the most interesting par 3 - you play over the sea from tee to green - and was friendly on the two occasions I've played itDon't think there are any 'great' courses that far south in Scotland - you'll need to get up around Edinburgh way first. Once you cross the Forth into Fife then you'll be in the Home of Golf - and loads of courses to play. Avoid Fairmont St Andrews

Based on golf and accommodation prices I've found in England - that sounds very cheap.  What were you expecting?

Yes well er well er, I also think it damned expensive in England as well. Why charge £30 and have your course empty? Yes sure protect it against nomads, but most take in societys that hog the whole bloomin course and slash and hack their way round. Surely a charge of £15 is reasonable. Plus then they will also spend in the bar, food etc where there is a huge mark up and hey presto a club with a bit of atmosphere in the week instead of being like the Marie Celest. (Is that how you spell it)?

i have been on a tour of scottish borders plaing golf and i would recommend roxburghe if you willing to pay green fee but its possibly one of the best courses i have ever played. but if your looking for cheap you could try peebles or west linton both great courses enjoyed both of them.how long did you say you were going for???

UK-golfguide.comSelkirk 9 holer showing as £16 per day but no website. Might be out of date a bit.Go on the site, type in Selkirk, select the course and then near the bottom of the screen click the 'Local Courses' tab. It brings up a list of all courses in a 30 mile radius. You can navigate to web sites and see prices etc.Many are £30 per day so you could sneek in 36 holes.Direct-teetimes.com do deals on Cardrona, Hawick, Dumfriesshire etc. Need to check nearer the time but I have picked up some bargains using that site.

Roxburghe is a cracking course, and takes 2 for 1's during the week. Not played many other borders courses. Peebles is nice, Cardrona is just long.

avoid cardrona played twice and second time got my money back not very happy.played one hole on 2nd half of course might be 10 or 11 called "the bog" about 100 yards into the green the fairway was just mud and the green keepers were just trying to cut the 'GRASS' what wasnt there!!! good lay out but better courses around the area.

crazy face i would really recommend if you buy a pass called freedom of the fairwayshttp://www.visitscottishborders.com/WhatToSee/Golf/FOF.aspxthats the link for it it really worth getting most courses what accept let you on for free if you use this pass but like roxburghe and cardrona will ask for a voucher and £20 or somthing but its really worth it at roxburghe. used this pass both times i have had the tour of the borders just book in advance and theres no problem

I can get cheap golf down here if I want to.Lydd for about £15.00 a round.Couple of other courses which will remain nameless, one charges about £12.00 even at week-ends. The other £18.00. Trouble is, all three of them are crap.I'd rather clean my clubs

I've played North Berwick golf club which is excellent> I think it may quite expensive (I was signed on by a member). The Glen, also in North Berwick is a nice course and probably a  good bit cheaper at £35 a round midweek.

Ian wrote (see)

£25-£30 a round seems pretty good to me, try getting that in Ireland these days!

Ian, I could name over 2 dozen top quality courses within 1 hour drive of dublin that are around the £20-£30 per round.

I couldnt!  

Crazyface wrote (see)

Yes well er well er, I also think it damned expensive in England as well. Why charge £30 and have your course empty? Yes sure protect it against nomads, but most take in societys that hog the whole bloomin course and slash and hack their way round. Surely a charge of £15 is reasonable. Plus then they will also spend in the bar, food etc where there is a huge mark up and hey presto a club with a bit of atmosphere in the week instead of being like the Marie Celest. (Is that how you spell it)?

o my, i thought it was the cost of accommodation you were complaining about? By comparison with England & Ireland, Scotland is ridiculously cheap for golf, and has been said, make it any lower, then members will not see any point in being members. You'll find it very hard to even get a game at a municipal for £15, so I think you need to start being more realistic.Your best bet though is to look for mens opens which tend to be plentiful in Scotland, and there you often will get a game for under £20.

It would probably be a straightforward drive to get yourself to Dunbar, which is a great Links course, not overpriced for what it is. Its also the home of the Belhaven Brewery.

Dick in shorts(15.5) wrote (see)

Crazyface wrote (see)

Only just managing to cross the border then

Lordy, I don't want to go too far in, my misses feels the cold where we are. I'd have to wrap her in a hot water bottle if we go past Edinburgh .Whey hey I've found another website that has cheaper and, strangely, nicer cottages. "Scotland is ridiculously cheap for golf".  Well fatshaft if you call £20-£30 cheap you must have a money tree in your back garden.  Not everyone is earning the "average" weekly wage. Half it and you would be closer to mine. It's not a golfing holiday, just a family one, so it will probably be just the one round. Unless the golfing gods smile down and somehow sort out two rounds for me. Cheers for all the input everyone. Any other suggestions?

One of the reasons C-f that I didn't take up golf until I was 40, certainly not when the kids were young and only one salary coming in - it is expensive as a pastime - so if you can knock it round somewhere, just for the hell of it, without paying a lot then all well and good.Realistically, to be able to play a decent track £20 - £30 is not expensive for 3 - 4 hours of play on a well maintained course.

Crazyface wrote (see)

"Scotland is ridiculously cheap for golf".  Well fatshaft if you call £20-£30 cheap you must have a money tree in your back garden.  Not everyone is earning the "average" weekly wage. Half it and you would be closer to mine. It's not a golfing holiday, just a family one, so it will probably be just the one round. Unless the golfing gods smile down and somehow sort out two rounds for me. Cheers for all the input everyone. Any other suggestions?

CF, as Taz says, £20-£30 a round IS cheap, if you think it isn't, then sorry mate, better hang up the clubs, because it doesn't get cheaper than Scotland I'm afraid.Like I said though, look for some Opens round about, unlike England, Scottish courses tend to have loads of individual opens, and also unlike England, they tend to bear no relation to normal green fees, so you're unlikely to be paying £20+ anywhere except the most expensive courses.

£15 gets you on a municipal but for most members clubs £30 is a minimum.  Mine charges £45 a round.  There are however some cracking courses in the middle of nowhere where you can play a round at a relatively low price as the annual membership is probably a quarter of what I pay in Glasgow.  Try http://golf.visitscotland.com/ as you can get a free brochure showing all clubs and local accomodation.  And come further north as at the borders you are really just scratching the surface and it isn't that cold you wimp!

Brrrrrrrrrrr.

I can't believe you think 25-30 is expensive when the muni's around here go for £15 a round. Even the crappest private courses in England are £30 a round, never mind a decent track.Not a cheap pastime, no doubt, but cheaper than a family meal at McDonalds.

Pengwyn 10.9^ wrote (see)

I can't believe you think 25-30 is expensive when the muni's around here go for £15 a round. Even the crappest private courses in England are £30 a round, never mind a decent track.Not a cheap pastime, no doubt, but cheaper than a family meal at McDonalds.

Thankfully my course (in england) is a fiver

shawsey wrote (see)

Thankfully my course (in england) is a fiver

Where's that!!!!!!!!????   Toxteth?

I stayed at a magnificent house last year in Troon , one of the best places (self catering) i have ever stayed in ...you can find it here, its the only one in Scotland on the site so not hard to find !.... http://www.stay2playgolf.com/

^^^Piss off spammer.

I wasn't trying to spam anyone and i apologise if its caused offence ......your comment is a bit over the top to say the least ! 

Hasselhof, you were in single digit number of posts and half of those were links to that same website.People don't want to drive away new members (well, most don't

ok no probs ....thanks for your reply , i admit the first couple of post i made were a bit cheeky as I was trying to help a friend of mine out a little as he is making a big effort with no money behind him at all . I am new to forums in general and didn't realise that there was such a strict code , sorry guys ! The last post however was i feel relevant and useful ...if it is deemed not to be i shall gladly remove it, no probs.. ..i shall be a good boy from now on

Hasselhof, from your latter posts I realise you are now here as a golf poster so for my comment, I apologise.We often get 'spamming' website links to Chinese golf accessories, fake clubs and numberous golf holiday sites who have little or no interest in the game. If it hadn't been me responding, someone else would have no doubt said something - though perhaps not as bluntly as I did!It's better to  mention in a relative thread you have a friend who deals in golf cottage rental and can provide details if required by personal message (if it's turned on). Welcome anyhoo!

+1 for can't believe you think £20/£30 is expensive - I can only think of two courses around Dublin that you'd get on for that - 1 over please name these other clubs I'm not aware of .Seriously though the Open Fairways card might be worth buying if you're planning a good few rounds.

Hey topslicepullfart, no problems and thanks a lot for the advice ... to be honest your comment made me laugh out loud when i saw it ! at least if i want an honest question answering honestly i know who to ask!

You gets what you pays for, and in Scotland I honestly believe that you get the best value in the World for golf.
If you like traditional golf, ie a course that is laid out on the land rather than over it, you can find the most amazing variety of quality golf without a large fee. just use here or top100golfcourses and look for gems rather than name courses.
20-30 pounds will get you some great golf in Scotland, but you can't expect too much for that money on an 18 hole course.
for best value for money anywhere, look for a quality 9 hole courses and play it twice round.
however, the further you travel the better the deals. The Machrie in Islay is 55-ish pounds to play probably the most enjoyable game ever.
50 quid in most places will get you on a reputable course but no more.