Any runners out there?

21 posts / 0 new
Any runners out there?

Never  been  a runner (except for around a football pitch), and that was almost 20 years ago. I’m now nearing the big 4-0.

Since I packed in football due to a knee injury, I put on about 3 stone (mostly muscle) from doing weights. With not doing any cardio as such, my legs were never allowed to gradually get used to carry that extra weight around.

Anyway, about 3 months ago, I started running twice a week, mainly because I can do it after work without too much bother, and it isn’t going to take so long that I won’t see the kids (unlike cycling, for instance). Still try to throw the weights around for an hour once a week, and occasionally visit the course for 18 (carry, not trolley!) Strained a calf which lead to a month off but overall, I’m fairly happy. I do a 2.5 mile circuit, a bit downhill, a bit uphill, in a bit under 17 mins now. Hardly 2012 material, but it’ll do for me.

Given that I don’t want to spend too long out there, don’t want to wear out any joints, but would like to burn a bit more blubber, what sort of programme would you suggest? More than twice a week? More than 2.5 miles? Same distance, but up the pace?

Oh, and mid-week booze-free (mostly!) for a couple of months now, too!

I'm no expert - similar to you had done no running up until last year then made the crazy decision to do the marathon. My best advice would be if you want to increase your running make sure that you get fitted for proper running shoes and don't increase your mileage/time by more than 10% in any one week.Your doing 17mins run at the moment - are you saying that you don't want to spend more than this as that would fairly limit your options.  If it's just fitness then I would change one of your runs to a circuit training programme - apparently the more you mix it up the quicker you'll lose weight - but as I said I'm no expert. Good luck though, it feels great to get fit!

Google "High Intensity Interval Training" and then incorporate it into your run - you'll end up running faster for short periods then slower again - a bit like shuttle runs when you played footy.Static state training won't burn as much fat per session.  HIIT has the advantage of keeping your heart rate elevated and thus burning more fat for much longer after you stop training.You should also be aware that the cardio is catabolic and will basically strip your muscle first.  I'm following Charles Poloquin's 'German Body Composition' program which is designed for fat loss but has no cardio at all.  I've gained weight but it is all lean muscle and as a result my clothes are hanging off me!  Its a long journey but I'm going to keep doing my program twice a week and see the changes slowly but surely.Good luck with your fat loss!

Cheers both

nah mate, lean muscle.You'll look so good you'll have to beat the ladies off with a shitty stick!(Thats what I'm hoping anyway!)

Knowing my luck, the "german body composition" I'd get would be fat belly, waxed handlebar moustache, and lederhosen (can't be arsed to check the spelling!)

lol!

Basically as Styles says you need to vary your fitness routine. At the moment all you are doing is conditioning your body to run 2.5 miles in 17 minutes (not a bad pace BTW). If you do this and nothing else you will struggle to run further or quicker, you're also constantly working the same muscles.Try alternating your runs between the one you do now, then do a longer run, build up to whatever you feel uncomfortable with, then do a shorter run as fast as you can.I'd also try to incorporate a bit of gym work and maybe a bit of swimming or cycling.One more piece of advice, to get really good fat burn and cardio workout you should be doing more than 30 minutes at a time.

My brother-in-law is an experienced runner, and he echoes what Harry says above - my weekly programme is supposed to be - 1 long run, 1 shorter run but a faster pace, and 1 session where I'm running fast down a hill, walking back up, running fast down a hill, etc.

I do the same as McS's brother in law but run as fast as i can up a hill and then walk down over and over. I thought the fact i feel like dying afterwards pointed towards doing something wrong, maybe i'll try the other way round. It does shift the pounds though

I hate running

Dave W 75 wrote (see)

I do the same as McS's brother in law but run as fast as i can up a hill and then walk down over and over. I thought the fact i feel like dying afterwards pointed towards doing something wrong, maybe i'll try the other way round. It does shift the pounds though

My b-il says that the fast running downhill  is training my muscle triggers, or something like that. ie it will help me run faster on the flat.

Harry Putter wrote (see)

One more piece of advice, to get really good fat burn and cardio workout you should be doing more than 30 minutes at a time.

Ha! I reckon if anyone noticed the state of me they'd mount the kerb, run me down, and think I'd thank them for it

McStumpy wrote (see)

My b-il says that the fast running downhill  is training my muscle triggers, or something like that. ie it will help me run faster on the flat.

and bugger up your knees and ankles in no time.

Out of interest eagle why would you put a bin liner on you?

Makes you sweat much more, therefore lose weight. It's an old boxers trick.

Yes but you're only losing water through dehydration, not fat - I know boxers/fighters do this to "cut" weight for a fight but I don't see the point in joe soap getting dehydrated to simply put the weight back on next time you drink?

Harry Putter wrote (see)

McStumpy wrote (see)

and bugger up your knees and ankles in no time.

Not to mention jarring my back! 

Absolutely right Scoopa, I don't know why he'd do this either.

The sweating increases your metabolism so you do lose weight through sweating but also an increased metabolism.I wouldn't advocate it though, tricking your metabolism is never a good thing. Just do as stated above put the yards in and mix it up and stay aerobic for longer periods for the maximum fat burn

Im no doctor so know nothing about the science of it but it works for me