Man Utd v Liverpool

141 posts / 0 new

Does he really need to see across the pitch, make sure he is celebrating in front of Suarez ? Even fergie commented on it !

He doesn't need to, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't.  The guy racially abused him then refuses to shake his hand.  No apology, from the player or the club if anything the complete opposite of an apology. I think he has the right to celebrate a winwith the home fans who have supported him, he did nothing more than that

Tiger Wes (13) wrote (see)

He doesn't need to, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't.  The guy racially abused him then refuses to shake his hand.  No apology, from the player or the club if anything the complete opposite of an apology. I think he has the right to celebrate a winwith the home fans who have supported him, he did nothing more than that

+1

just saw the handshake incident... silly suarez ! Evra should have just left it but the after match celebration I haven't seen ... but hey why not ! 

It is Suarez who refused to shake hands and is the racist, Evra did nothing wrong, aren't you allowed to celebrate a win with your supporters anymore

wife just said suarez hasn't learnt ... ban him again . Fair point that , she is too clever for me its dangerous! 

Ban him for not shaking hands ?!?

Keep banning him until he realises what a naughty little racist boy he is

BT@Home wrote (see)

Ban him for not shaking hands ?!?

It isn't really about the physical act of handshaking though is it? This particular handshake was meant to represent the laying to rest of the previous incident. The subtext is clear.

If he had shook hands then it would have been the end of it.  But now it will run onto the next game.

Subtext ! I guess Rio will be banned too then ... You know because the subtext was clear

what is wrong with another ban? 

Yeah, I aint shaking the hand of no racist.  If suarez and just shook his bloody hand then all the talk would be about the game now, and how Utd dominated Liverpool

BT@Home wrote (see)

Subtext ! I guess Rio will be banned too then ... You know because the subtext was clear

Rio F, and Welbeck, pulled out of the gesture due to Suarez's actions. That is also clear. The worst bit though, and I've not yet seen this being picked up by anyone, was when Suarez wiped his shirt just after Valencia put his hand on his shoulder. I was a fan of Suarez from the little bits I saw of him at Ajax and I even defended his handball in the WC QF, any footballer would do the same. I thought Liverpool had bought a genuine star that would light up the Premiership. Sadly, what we have is an odious little shit that is turning all but the most blinkered against Liverpool. And Dalglish isn't helping.

I did notice him wipe his shoulder after Valencia went to have a word after he booted the ball into the crowd.  Didnt really think much of it, I hope it wasnt what your thinking Claverhouse.

Video I saw clearly showed only Evra and Rio not shaking. Welbeck clearly shown shaking.

bottom line is united won the match to go top of the league and liverpool are still shit end of story

What an amusing thread, full of amusing "one-eyed" posters..... Handshake, why shake the hand of a guy who labelled you a racist and an eight match ban....Remember the Knob leading the French team revolt... As for the Man United fans, you must be overjoyed that Ferguson has such a good relationship with today's so called referee, that he allowed so many players in red to try and take chunks out of the little fella... And the only reason Suarez was hammered was to deflect the shit away from a real racist John Terry...Total FA politics.... Look at that fiasco, England has lost one of the best managers we have ever had....

The point being Evra was willing to shake hands, if Suarez had taken this option i'm sure Rio would have done as well.

As for Ferguson's comments after the match about Suarez never playing again because he never shook hands.. Lets put this into context.....Sir Alex.. When one of your professional players lose the plot and carries out a flying kung fu kick to a mans head in the crowd and bugger all is said....

cantona was right to... the bloke came down and got his kicking , don't think you should abuse people and not expect a reply.. I thought eric's reply was precise and to the point  

Mac, Liverpool are my "English team", but i can't see any way that Suarez's actions are idefensible. Only Suarez and Evra know what happened last year, but the independent QC's findings did not reflect favourably on Suarez. Even if he were the innocent that Liverpool attest, a better man would have taken the higher ground, shook hands and then showed on the pitch why he is regarded as one of the world's best players. Liverpool are a great club with a glorious past, but Suarez is smearing that reputation and has backed Kenny into a corner - having stoutly defended the Uruguayan thus far, he cannot turn round now and say "you know what, the wee man is an ars*". So what we get is a denial of what we all saw and a bizarre attack on the media. For those Liverpool fans seething at what every impartial observer see's in an entirely diferent way - perhaps they should ask how Shankly would have handled this.

I've got to agree (sort of) with Mac. Suarez maintains that he was innocent of the charge and if that is the case, why should he shake hands with the person who ruined his reputation and caused him to have an 8 match ban. Evra also had every opportunity to diffuse the situation, before Suarez was even charged.

Whilst 'saying you're innocent' obviously doesn't mean you are, nor does being found guilty mean you did it. If I was incorrectly found guilty of a crime, I certainly wouldn't want to shake the hand of someone who had fabricated evidence against me. As far as just getting on with it, that's what he's done. He's doing what he's paid for, which doesn't include being a hypocrite.

can't wait for the next TEE-SHIRT parade, wonder what will be on the front this time ???

Dan, has he not admitted to saying it???

The difference between Utd and Liverpool.   Utd banned King Eric straight away, didn't wait for the FA and didn't claim his innocence.

suarez is a snide and dalglish is turning into a right mug wonder what shankly or paisley would make of all this

If I was Dalgish I would give Saurez a good round of fucks.  Though I think hes wrong he has backed Saurez 100% and hes thrown it in his face.  Hes making him look stupid now and if he wasnt such a good player he would be sold.

Tiger Wes (13) wrote (see)

Dan, has he not admitted to saying it???

That's what I thought - Suarez admitted that he said it, but that it is not considered offensive in his own country, so claiming a case of cultural differences rather than racial abuse?  If so, why are Liverpool fans calling Evra a liar and justifying the non-handshake?  All very confusing! Just been watching the MOTD repeat - the poor little lad who was the Man Utd mascot looks a tad worried in the line-up.

perhaps open racism is okay on merseyside? like in some parts of london ... personally in this day and age, we still have this stuff going on is disgraceful ! 

Dan24 wrote (see)

If I was incorrectly found guilty of a crime, I certainly wouldn't want to shake the hand of someone who had fabricated evidence against me.

Do we take your view on this or that of one of the best QCs in the country who has deemed that parts of Suarez's defence were "unsustainable and simply incredible"?

Claverhouse wrote (see)

Dan24 wrote (see)

If I was incorrectly found guilty of a crime, I certainly wouldn't want to shake the hand of someone who had fabricated evidence against me.

Do we take your view on this or that of one of the best QCs in the country who has deemed that parts of Suarez's defence were "unsustainable and simply incredible"?

spot on

Mac1 wrote (see)

What an amusing thread, full of amusing "one-eyed" posters..... Handshake, why shake the hand of a guy who labelled you a racist and an eight match ban....Remember the Knob leading the French team revolt... As for the Man United fans, you must be overjoyed that Ferguson has such a good relationship with today's so called referee, that he allowed so many players in red to try and take chunks out of the little fella... And the only reason Suarez was hammered was to deflect the shit away from a real racist John Terry...Total FA politics.... Look at that fiasco, England has lost one of the best managers we have ever had....

Your final line is about right. The rest is pure fairy tales.

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I'm in no way defending racism, or claiming that Suarez was innocent. My comments are only regarding the handshake incident. However Suarez still maintains that he was innocent and whilst he maintains that position, to shake his accuser's would be total hypocrisy. Just supposing that he was right, if any of you were in his position would you happily shake your accuser's hand. Regarding the eminent QC, whilst he will know infinitely more about law and be much more articulate than me or you, it doesn't necessarily follow that he is a better judge of character than the next person. The burden of proof was much less, than would have in a court of law and the courts are littered with examples of miscarriages of justice. I suppose you are all also convinced that Harry Redknapp did no wrong! I also didn't think the handshake incident was as clear cut as everyone else seemed to see it. My take was that Suarez went down the line with his hand at the same level making a token contact with the Man Utd players hands. Evra's hand was held further back than the other players hands and not offered to Suarez in the same manner as the other Man Utd players did. Suarez didn't pull his hand away when he reached Evra and would have had to make an exaggerated gesture, which I feel he felt was a step to far. As for Ferguson, how long did he hold a grudge against the BBC when he felt he/his son was wronged? He certainly wasn't in a rush to draw a line under that matter and move on. Finally, why when they both obviously intensly dislike each and will continue to, regardless of any handshake, should they be made to go through this charade?

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2012/02/video-evra-refuses-suarez-handshake/ I know this is from a Liverpool website (& I am in no way a Liverpool fan), but the pictures and video certainly give a different perspective than that reported in the press.

Dan24 wrote (see)

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2012/02/video-evra-refuses-suarez-handshake/ I know this is from a Liverpool website (& I am in no way a Liverpool fan), but the pictures and video certainly give a different perspective than that reported in the press.

Oh dear! Why is everyone out of step except our Johnny?!

Dan24 wrote (see)

It may have been a little lower down but the hand was still ready and open to be shook.  Suarez chose to ignore it.  Mind you, this happened with Wayne Bridge and John Terry and it was left at that.

They are different: Evra was wronged but was big enough to offer a hand, Bridge was wronged and chose not to.

Claverhouse wrote (see)

Dan24 wrote (see)

Why is everyone out of step except our Johnny?!

Maybe because 'our Johnny', has come to his opinion based on his view of the evidence and is not swayed by the opinions of pundits and others.

Dan24 wrote (see)

Claverhouse wrote (see)
Dan24 wrote (see)

Why is everyone out of step except our Johnny?!

Maybe because 'our Johnny', has come to his opinion based on his view of the evidence and is not swayed by the opinions of pundits and others.

Except you go digging around Liverpool fan sites for spurious concoted conspiracy theories! The really poor thing about this story is that a decent football club (I too have no particular favourite here) are having their reputation trashed globally and it's going to cost them. Suarez is being a completely selfish prat here and is showing no consideration for his team-mates, his manager, their supporters or the owners. If I was any one of them I'd be telling him what to do, and it wouldn't be nice.

@Chris I'm from Merseyside and 'open racism' isn't the norm at all. I know you've been coming out with a lot of shit in the last few weeks in your quest to bag a freebie or two but no need to be a total prick. As an Evertonian my opinion is pretty neutral. I think Suarez should have shook his hand, Evra shouldn't have gloated at the end but for me Dalgliesh is the one really letting himself down. Regardless of the reasons for supporting Suarez he should have put his foot down weeks ago and put an end to it all.

georgiemac wrote (see)

..... but for me Dalgliesh is the one really letting himself down. Regardless of the reasons for supporting Suarez he should have put his foot down weeks ago and put an end to it all.

+1 Here the NY Times take on it. Demanding that the Fenway Group (Liverpool's owners) take control and deal with it. Anyone still think Liverpool/Dalglish are holding the right stance on this?

Claverhouse, I didn't go digging around Liverpool fan sites, I did a search to find a video of the incident to either confirm or dispel my earlier opinion, which I formed from the MOTD highlights. The BBC had taken down their video and the above link was the first I clicked on and whatever your opinion of the site, if viewed objectively it certainly casts doubt upon the commonly held view of the incident. I can fully understand the vitriol being aimed at Suarez for the original incident, but I believe peoples understandable dislike of Suarez is prejudicing their reaction to the handshake incident and their ability to look at it objectively. By all means hate him because you feel he was guilty of racism in the first place, but to castigate him for his conduct yesterday I feel is vindictive and unnecessary.

So now Suarez comes out with a statement apologising for not shaking Evra's hand, i bet it is real heart felt as well.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Kenny Dalglish comes across as a petulent 14-year old when being interviewed on TV?

Dan24 wrote (see)

Claverhouse, I didn't go digging around Liverpool fan sites, I did a search to find a video of the incident to either confirm or dispel my earlier opinion, which I formed from the MOTD highlights. The BBC had taken down their video and the above link was the first I clicked on and whatever your opinion of the site, if viewed objectively it certainly casts doubt upon the commonly held view of the incident. I can fully understand the vitriol being aimed at Suarez for the original incident, but I believe peoples understandable dislike of Suarez is prejudicing their reaction to the handshake incident and their ability to look at it objectively. By all means hate him because you feel he was guilty of racism in the first place, but to castigate him for his conduct yesterday I feel is vindictive and unnecessary.

Here's his apology...... http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/luis-suarez-i-m-sorry Some sense at last. Ian Ayre's statement: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/ian-ayre-luis-was-wrong

Here's his apology...... http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/luis-suarez-i-m-sorry Some sense at last. Ian Ayre's statement: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/ian-ayre-luis-was-wrong

Yorkey wrote (see)

So now Suarez comes out with a statement apologising for not shaking Evra's hand, i bet it is real heart felt as well.

tsk tsk, such cynicism. However, I do admire Suarez's excellent command of the English language, as shown in his written apology. Not bad for a non-native speaker.

Happy now..... Careful Dave with the Non-Native shout, the resident troll will be onto the NY Times....

Pages