Mark Hughes.... Is he an idiot?

76 posts / 0 new
Mark Hughes.... Is he an idiot?

From a non league supporting team I like to watch all Premiership teams as I think the quality of football is the best out there. Hower Im finding watching Man City unbearable. Who does Mark Hughes think he is? Adebayor runs the length of the ground and celebrates in front of his ex clubs fans... and in Hughes eyes thats ok. Gary Neville celebrates down in the corner where there is a 50/50 split of home and away fans and hes a lunatic. Craig Bellamy... runs 20 yards to confront a fan being lead away by security then pushes him away in the face and he does it in self defence! Why did he have to go after him in the first place? Oh and then he likens him to a true legend in Cloughie RIP! Is the bloke mental?? Then there is the Manchester Derby!!! City have 4 shots ... 2 of which come from massive United mistakes the other is a goal of the month contender and the 4th hits the post... United had chance after chance.. Only Given keeping the score line respectable... but in Hughes eyes they where unlucky?? They where lucky they didnt get a good hiding? Is it me or are City and there Boss starting to grate a little bit?

Nah, it's just you.How can City be grinding afetr barely a couple of months, in comparison to years on end of Chelsea, MAn U, Arsenal, and Liverpool dominating the league? Also Neville was on the bench, what was he doing way down at the end of the pitch? He certainly wasn't warming up.

City are grinding ... because they have a manager that is an idiot and a set of fans that think they are the best team in the world all of a sudden! Yea I agree Neville was in the wrong... but how can he defend adebayor but then say neville is a lunatic. Hughes needs to get into the real world!

By definition, football managers (and players) don't inhabit the real world. Expect insanity - they all have their moments (Fergie's "psychology", Wenger's special specs, Benitez's paranioa, etc).

All managers grate - a lot.
Gum chewing Ferguson, "I didn't see it" Wenger; they are all prepared to look stupid in the interests of club solidarity. Harry Redknapp's ok though.

I'm beginning to get the feeling Man City are starting to behave like a top 4 club in all respects other than their quality of play on the pitch, ie, the way they went about signing Lescott wasn't very classy, they're developing a big chip on their shoulders, and the manager defends everything they do.I don't agree the fans suddenly think they are the best team in the world though, they've spent far too many years in the doldrums to be that unrealistic. You can't begrudge them being slightly enthusiastic about things, it wasn't that long ago they were in the 3rd tier of English football.

A good manager blinkeredly (is that a word?) defends the actions of his players no matter what. Leave MH alone. I think he's going to break up the monopoly the big four have and that can only be good for football. Which one is going to miss out on all that Euopean dosh? Ooooooo I can't wait to find out.

Over rated manager, just as he was an over rated player.

He played for Man Utd, Barcelona Chelsea - can't have been that over rated.Did a decent job at Blackburn with limited resources, for me the jury is still out at Man City.

I think old Sparky was a great player but I think hes out of his depth with where Citys Chairman wants them to be. If you take there best starting XI how many of them would get into United or Chelsea's starting XI.. ?? I think they will do well to finish 5th

Exactly - Hughes has been buying the likes of Bridge, Bellamy & Barry for £10-£12m where as it appears someone else has been doing the £25m deals on Adebayor & Tevez. Could be wrong though and hope so as a Man City fan myself.

Totally agree with you Zach, on you OP..I also think Hughes was an idiot for going to City as he will never become United boss now, which surely must have been an ambition for him.You are also right about them not getting a good hiding.. Just before Bellamy's 2nd equalising goal (City's 3rd), Sky put up the possession stats and City had just 9% in the United half! City have a good team on paper, look at their starting line up against United, even without Adebayor, Robinho etc. but they have overpaid for them. However, if you look at a lot of players United and Chelsea have bought or tried to buy over the years, the selling club has always bumped up the price. Unfortunately that is a downside of success and money.

Crap player, spent half of any game on his arse. Always wore his shorts out before his boots.

Harry Putter wrote (see)

Crap player, spent half of any game on his arse. Always wore his shorts out before his boots.

What a load of crap..

Here here and didnt he play for Bayern Munich aswell? Im not slating him as a player just as a gaffa. I think he was a great player for United in that 94 Double winning team. Just a shame he cant do the same as a gaffa!

Very rare footage of Hughes actually stood up on a football field, must have been before the kick off.http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/06/02/article-0-0174A0BA00000578-464_306x505.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^You remember wrong . The game was against Notts Forest in the FA Cup and it was Mark Robbins who scored. 

I think Sparky was bought on as a 1/2 time sub at chelsea when they were losing in an FA Cup game against either Man U or Liverpool, switched to a diamond formation and thumped them 2nd half!
He was brilliant!

As for a manager..........mmmmm

He has bought some good players Robihno,Adebayor,Given

But Barry only went there as Liverpool decided not to buy him, and overated anyway.
Santa Cruz - 1 ok season
Bridge - always injured, but good player
Lescot - is very overated

Sparky will be sacked in July

Ireland is their best player......imo

How's the weather in Hampshire this morning Mr Man Yoo?

He's definitely one of the top 3 managers. For whinging that is, along with Wenger and Benitez.

Hughes is nothing compared to the embarassing Hypocrisy of Ferguson.

Zach Villers wrote (see)

I think old Sparky was a great player but I think hes out of his depth with where Citys Chairman wants them to be. If you take there best starting XI how many of them would get into United or Chelsea's starting XI.. ?? I think they will do well to finish 5th

Of our line-up I think Given, Barry, Robinho, Adebayor and Probably SWP and Ireland in Uniteds team. Maybe even Bellamy on current form. Also Liverpool and Arsenal are looking very weak at times this year. I think 3rd is very achiveable

Poz wrote (see)

Barry only went there as Liverpool decided not to buy him,

This is patently false, Benitez was annoyed when City signed because he'd turned down Liverpool.Barry is definitely one of the most underrated players in the Prem.

Mark Hughes, jesus, where do i start...As a player he was good, cant deny that. Someone posted how he would pop up in the dying seconds of games and score a winner etc - I wonder how many of those goals for Utd were scored in "extended" added on time. Funnily enough, this was never his concern when on the winning team, although he didnt seem to like it when it happened on Sunday.The ref was correct to play that long. The 4 minutes on the board are a "minimum" of 4 minutes. Bellamy's celebration (56 seconds) and the substitution (30 seconds) would have made the total playing time 95.26 - owen scored on 95.27. Taking this into account, at the exact moment the 95.26 time was complete, owen would have been about 10 yards from goal with the ball at his foot - the ref will never blow up at this point. Had be blazed it over/wide/into the keeper/out for a throw, that would have been the last kick of the game. The fact he scored is irrelevant. Not forgetting that City had exactly the same amount of time as Utd to score a winner themselves -  but they are not as good - so didnt. In the words of Aleksander the Meerkat, Seemples!Bellamy: Oh dear, yeah the guy deserved a slap, but to walk up to him when he was being held by 4 stewards and slap him was hardly "self defense". I would never expect a manager to publically slate one of their own players though.Adebayor: I hate this guy, with an absolute passion and him celebrating in front of us was a huge mistake! Again, i would not expect Hughes to publically slate him, but i didnt think he would defend him either.Neville: Hughes is a bit naive here. I believe this stretches back to when Neville scored against Liverpool at the Stretford End, then ran back to celebrate infront of the visiting fans end. Think about this logically - what position does Neville play? defense,  he has a right to return back to that end of the pitch, GreedyByeWhore does not.If you had all the money in the world, would you really buy Craig Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz & Kolo Toure?Mark Hughes will never succeed at City!Before i am accused of sticking up for Utd, let it be known that i am a lifelong Arsenal fan, and despite my deep rooted hatred towards Utd, it has been overshadowed in recent years with a newfound hatred towards "smaller" clubs who have become a billionaires plaything.In answer to the OP, Yes, Hughes is an idiot, and much, much more!

Jeez that was some rant CP took me 20 mins to read it

lol - got a bit carried away i think My apologies!

Birdie Boy (12.2) WooHoo wrote (see)

^^^^^^^^^^^^You remember wrong . The game was against Notts Forest in the FA Cup and it was Mark Robbins who scored. 

Sorry BB but I think you're wrong - it was the fa cup game against Oldham and Hughes scored to save Fergie's job.And for the record Mark Hughes was a great player, a natural goalscorer with strength, think of him as Lineker with muscles. If he'd been English then you lot might have won something in the last 44 years....

Andy are  you being serious? If so its time to go sit in a dark room! I dont think there is anyone that would get in united team from city and before you say anything Im not a united fan so there is no bias. City simply arent good enough. Barry Id have him cutting oranges, Ireland sweeping the changing room floor, Adeybayor cleaning boots, Robinho sorting out the towels... and as for Bellamy dont get me started on him...

I love it when bitter Arsenal fans have a rant. What was that score the other week against City ?

Liverpool did not meet asking price thats why barry never signed for them!He had a couple of good games for England, then sulked at Villa stating that he wanted Champions League football............then signs for Man City, money talks!Don't blame him for going to Man City, but should not bleat on about CL football, then sign for a team that are not in it!

Zach Villers wrote (see)

Andy are  you being serious? If so its time to go sit in a dark room! I dont think there is anyone that would get in united team from city and before you say anything Im not a united fan so there is no bias. City simply arent good enough. Barry Id have him cutting oranges, Ireland sweeping the changing room floor, Adeybayor cleaning boots, Robinho sorting out the towels... and as for Bellamy dont get me started on him...

Barry would walk into United's team, Given is one of the best keepers in the world.Adebayor, yes I can understand why people dislike him but he is a superb footballer and would be Uniteds second best striker after Rooney. Bellamy would be your third after Rooney and Berbatov. Ireland would also get quite a few games at United. The City+United 11 would look something like this:GivenO'Shea Ferdinand Vidic EvraBarryIreland Fletcher GiggsAdebayor Rooney.Please tell me which United players would replace the City players in this team.

Heres my 2 penneth for the discussion (completely unbiased as im a liverpool fan)            GivenToure, Vidic, Ferdinand, EvraWright phillips, Barry, Scholes, Giggs     Rooney, AdebayorI dont like adebayor but i must admit when he wants to he is an effective player

Van Der SaarBrown Vidic Ferdinand EvraCarrick Hargreaves ScholesGiggsRooney Berbatov I think Given is an average Premiership goalie. To say that he is one of the best in the world is going a bit far. Hes not the best on crosses and his kicking is great. He is a good shot stopper however. Bellamy wouldnt get a game for united in the carling cup let alone the league. The guy is rubbish. Adebayor is a good player yes but better than Rooney and Berbatov hmmmm in my personal opinion I dont think so. Ireland and Barry wouldnt get a game either.. United have an far better players to play in the centre of the park. Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Feltcher. Anderson isnt a bad player either. I think the signing that the chairman has made are good ones... Robinho and Adebayor but Hughes has signed alot of average players. Bridge, Bellamy, Toure etc etc.. Answer me this then? The players that Hughes has brought in ... how many medals do they have between them ?

Tim Ellis wrote (see)

Birdie Boy (12.2) WooHoo wrote (see)

Sorry BB but I think you're wrong - it was the fa cup game against Oldham and Hughes scored to save Fergie's job.And for the record Mark Hughes was a great player, a natural goalscorer with strength, think of him as Lineker with muscles. If he'd been English then you lot might have won something in the last 44 years....

Tim, sorry you are wrong. Hughes did score in the last minute against Oldham in the Cup semi-final at Wembley but this did not save Fegi'es bacon. Mark Robbins did, see here.

Yea Hughes scoring the equaliser against Oldham werent that the double winning season of 94.. old fergie had his feet well under the table by that point!

Lytham Golfer wrote (see)

I love it when bitter Arsenal fans have a rant. What was that score the other week against City ?

It was Man City 4 - 2 ArsenalMay i please ask why im a "bitter Arsenal fan" though? Surely my bitterness would somehow be linked to jealousy, jealousy towards a team who when we were winning the double in 98 were still recovering from being relegated twice in 3 years - can you remember the last time Arsenal were relegated?FYI - 13 League Titles, 12 Charity Shields, 10 FA Cups and 2 League Cups - absolutely no reason whatsoever to be jealous of City!  

I think your a bitter Arsenal because City are going to steal your Champions league space this season, whats the point on dwelling on the past when the future is what matters Wenger is past it, Arsenal's finances are no match for City's, at least we have a British manager in the Premier ship admittedly Hughes doesn't have Wengers experiance but the money should out weigh that. Like it or not the Premiership is changing into a money race, old sweats like Wenger and Moyes who rely on training players to succeed are going to get left behind.CTID

He may be acting like an arse, but if you were on shakey ground would you not want your gaffer to support you!?It must be very difficult to maintain a good press image and hang on to the respect of your team at the same time.Bellamy in my opinion is a prat, an egotistical sufferer of little man syndrome BUT city need him to perform to his best (He might be an arse but when he's on form he's good!) and to that end they are going to have to pander to his needs a little.And as for the neville/adebayor thing, again he has to stick to his own..........and he was bitter at being beaten.I wouldn't want his job, I couldn't handle the overpaid primadonas.

I think Bellamy was brought in to the team to sort out the non performers such as Robinio (not worked yet) similar to what fergie did with Roy Keane, personally I think it is working the team are now gelling whether it is down to the threat of Bellamy Bashing or not is another story perhaps ? but the 3 match Ban for Aderbayeur is going to hurt, he is the best thing that has happened to City in a long time I can't wait for the rematch at Emirates.

Lytham Golfer wrote (see)

I think Bellamy was brought in to the team to sort out the non performers such as Robinio (not worked yet) similar to what fergie did with Roy Keane, personally I think it is working the team are now gelling whether it is down to the threat of Bellamy Bashing or not is another story perhaps ? but the 3 match Ban for Aderbayeur is going to hurt, he is the best thing that has happened to City in a long time I can't wait for the rematch at Emirates.

Woooah there... You cant be likening Bellamy to Roy Keane? The only way that they are vaguely similar is that they can both be described as thugs..howeve one is best known for winning every top club trophy  available the other guy is best known for beating up a team mate with a 2 iron!

I agree Bellamy is a thug sometimes what is required in a team to give the other players a kick up the backside when they don't perform

Woooah there... You cant be likening Bellamy to Roy Keane? The only way that they are vaguely similar is that they can both be described as thugs..howeve one is best known for winning every top club trophy  available the other guy is best known for beating up a team mate with a 2 iron!

Keane didn't win every top club trophy, he never won the Champions League.And imo he is best known for 2 things, 1) he abondoned his country in the world cup because he thought he was bigger than the team2) he tried to cripple an opponent deliberately

Keane didn't win every top club trophy, he never won the Champions League.And imo he is best known for 2 things, 1) he abondoned his country in the world cup because he thought he was bigger than the team2) he tried to cripple an opponent deliberately

Of course he won the champions league. He may of not played in the final but without him Utd wouldnt have been in the final.  Its like saying if your didnt play in the last game of the season you didnt win the league.I do agree with your 2 points but you cannot deny he was one of the best midfielders in europe.

O

Pengwyn 10.6 wrote (see)

Of course we won the Champions League, with out him United would not of won it in 99. He says in his book that he left Ireland as the manager, the staff and the facilities where no good. Would you play all season in a golf comp to find out that the final was being held at a local muni with winter tees and temp greens? Cant argue with the trying to cripple an opponent. But in terms of playing ability Roy Keane has more ability in the stuff he flushes down the toilet than Bellamy can or ever will have

Bellamy is the typical knuckledragger with a very low iq who i doudt very few teammates would pay not a jot to his opinion whereas Keane was a leader above and beyond ).Also Fergie got away with it cos hes a winner and we'll put up with it from winners

Zach Villers wrote (see)

Van Der SaarBrown Vidic Ferdinand EvraCarrick Hargreaves ScholesGiggsRooney Berbatov

Van Der Saar versus Given is a close one but I think Given shaves it because he is much younger and makes less mistakes.By putting Carrick in the team ahead of Barry are you saying Capello is wrong in picking Barry ahead of him for England. Scholes is still a good player but Ireland is catching up fast and will be a better player soon(not better than Scholes at his peak mind)Adebayor is quite clearly a better player than Berbatov, he scores more goals, works harder, better at heading, faster, stronger. Just a far better player, also an idiot but still a good player. You're deluded if you think every United player is better than every City player

RELOADER wrote (see)

Barry well you must be having a laugh surely where was he when the goining got tough last week.

People who think Barry is a bad footballer is just poor form. You mustn't watch him for City or England on any sort of regular basis.

RELOADER wrote (see)

Bellamy is the typical knuckledragger with a very low iq who i doudt very few teammates would pay not a jot to his opinion whereas Keane was a leader above and beyond ).Also Fergie got away with it cos hes a winner and we'll put up with it from winners

Leadership qualities did,nt do much at  Sunderland.Just look at Ipswhich.

Roman leadership qualities did a helluva lot at Sunderland as when he took over they were bottom but if you read Dwight Yorkes autobio you'll see that its Keanes faults that crept in when things maybe werent going his way and he was no longer able to affect it as he wished .His bullying of players doesnt always work .And who can forget his bust up with Viera in the tunnel at highbury which was just sheer class (is that the right word).Andy w i didnt say Barry is a poor player i said /meant i dont think hes in the same class on such a regular basis as giggs ,fletcher , or scholes.And its not about every player being better its also about players fitting into a team and adding to a team and not just about playing for oneself as a lot of City players do.As for Adebayor again i dont think hes the character that is condusive to team morale when things arent going his way.A lot of what goes on behind the scenes determines whether a team wins or not.What MH will find out now is that everything he says will be scrutinised and the press will try to make stories where none are there cos lets face we all want to know whats happening at the city.Carrick is struggling at the moment and i wonder if its a lack of confidence cos at the mom i dont think he'l be going to South Africa.Hargreaves is still to come back and i wonder if hes still as good or whether hes lost a bit.

I was also surprised how poor Ireland was cos he was anon for the whole match and he was 1 of the players who i thought would hurt UTD.Barry i wasnt that frightened of but Bellamy (as he did) and Ireland i was sure would create more chances.City were also poor against the gunners and i dont think they deserved to win but hey so were UTd against the gunners.What i think most neutrals are looking forward too is how does MH fit in Adebayor,Bellamy,Sant Cruz,Tevez, and Robinho .Bellamy and tevez will work hard but the others well are they really team players ?.That is the question that will decide how City get on this season .

Pages