Massive Bolton win, Kean out?

14 posts / 0 new
Massive Bolton win, Kean out?

What a 6 pointer at Ewood.

Fom the Bolton forums I was already reading that a team with 9 points at thi8s stage had never survived, now they've won tonight, and Blackburn have the Xmas curse fro mwhich one team only (WBA) have ever survived.

Does that mean both are still down?  Blackburn definetely down?

Personally I think the hen men will continue to stick their hjeads in the sand like honest poultry people and stand by Kena, meaing they are down, Bolton however will live or die by the speed with which the Aberdonain and the korean get back to fitness, if it's soon, they'll get out of this, if not they are also doomed, probably with Swansea.

Great though to see Holden climbing into the away end to sit with the fans tonight, looked like it was almost his idea by the way he acted too.

Proof (if it were needed) about the collective stupidy of football fans......   Their team working hard to get back in the game and all the B'burn fans could do was boo their manager.  Not very helpful.

Got rid of Sam as the football wasnt "pretty enough." Bit like Charlton Athletic...got fed up with only finishing 6th in the Prem!  Where are they now?

The problem with Bolton is their team is getting old and keeping the performance going for 90 minutes hurts. Coyle is a good manager but when there is little or no talent and money, what can he do .... They are also in a bit of a rebuilding process as the current team was Sam's and his style was get it done as opposed to pass and play. What Coyle is missing is a strong young playmaker in midfield and a strong defensive midfielder. But when the goalie leaves (i wont spell it I have no idea ) they will be up the proverbial creak without a paddle and possible minus a boat...

I'm always surprised by the high number of Scottish managers in the Premiership. Is it 7 out of 20? It's not as though the Scottish game or the quality of managers stands out in Scotland itself. Weird.

Kean's signed a new deal hasn't he?

Ian wrote (see)

Got rid of Sam as the football wasnt "pretty enough." Bit like Charlton Athletic...got fed up with only finishing 6th in the Prem!  Where are they now?

No, that wasn't the case at all, you're thinking of Newcastle and Blackburn.  He left Bolton becasue the board wouldn;t give him more backing when they sat 3rd at Xmas in '96 (I thuik it was). That was the season they finished 6th after nosedioving the second half of the season. Megson was bulleted for the poor football, and taking Bolton back into the relegation zone, Coyle fixed that, and had them back in the top half again, however.... Bolton have been crippled by season long injuries to Holden and CYL who were the two outstanding midfielders last season.  Kev Davies is now slowing down, to such an extent he even got dropepd last night, and Coyle has stayed loyal to Zat Knight far too long, when it was clear Wheater was the better centre half. Add in the inexplicable purchase of a poor Boyata to replace a totally commited Steinsson at right back (who got back in last night), another season long injury to LB Alonso (who made his comeback last night but went off injured again at 0-2), and a shed load of sendings off, most of which have been questionable, and you can see where the troubles lie. Fair to say also, that with the exception of Wheater, and possibly Alonso, Coyle's signings have been poor, and not improved upon what he already had, this hasn't helped when injuries hit like they have done this season.

Chris Tandy wrote (see)

But when the goalie leaves (i wont spell it I have no idea ) they will be up the proverbial creak without a paddle and possible minus a boat...

You won't find many Bolton fans agreeing with you there either, most think Jussi is past it, and selling Al Habsi was a huge mistake, many including myself were hoping that when Megson replaced Sammy Lee, that there would be a fresh pair of eyes looking at the goalies, didn't happen. That said, Bogdan has normally looked more than able, so losing Jussi is not a big fear.

Fatshaft, from your tone i feel you have a slight affinity towards the wanderers, FWIW i really do hope they turn it around and start to climb the table.

bigeasy94 wrote (see)

Kean's signed a new deal hasn't he?

Yep. He gets paid in wings now.

Thought so. Not sure changing the manager will change fortunes around straight away to be honest, even if he is struggling at the moment. But if he's got a new deal he's even less likely to be shown the door anyway.

Yorkey wrote (see)

Fatshaft, from your tone i feel you have a slight affinity towards the wanderers, FWIW i really do hope they turn it around and start to climb the table.

Was a ST holder when living in Warrington.

A quote I heard the other day went something like "things are so bad at the club, what are the venky's keeping from us which means Kean gets to keep his job?" the sub-text I got from this is that the Venky's have something to hide and a new manager might expose that something.

I have to say I have some sympathy for Kean. Many games I've watched with them this season they've played really well,but just are short of a couple of breaks or a final finish. As for Bolton,I really like Coyle,but most games with them they haven't been at the races. Hence why they just seem to lose games rather than draw. January will be a big month for both these guys if still in the jobs.