Question of Sport

35 posts / 0 new
Question of Sport

"Here's today's Question of Sport teaser. We'll be publishing the answer at 13:30 GMT but you can have a go at the answer by using our hashtag #QSTeaser

Q) Since 2000, 8 tennis players have won their only Men's Grand Slam Singles Final. Andy Murray is one, who are the others?"

That question and answer don't make sense.
Andy Murray has been in several finals, he hasn't won 'his only final'.

Copied and pasted straight from the source! The BBC are the guardians of the English language, so it must be you and me at fault!!

Should it say, 'Since 2000, 8 tennis players have won their only Men' s Grand Slam Singles title '?

If so, I'll open with Ivanisovic.

The answers came out with a revised question of "The question was: since 2000, eight tennis players have won only one Men's Grand Slam Singles Final. Andy Murray is one, who are the others?" but the original question wasn't updated on the blog! "Albert Costa, Juan Martin Del Potro, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Gaston Gaudio, Goran Ivanisevic, Thomas Johansson and Andy Roddick are the missing men."

Standards are obviously slipping. They must have let some junior publish the question without being proofread.
A bit more time for folk to answer the questions would be good Dave, keep em coming

Will do - but I'll read them first in future!

Del Potro, Ferrero, Ivanisavic and Roddick I would have got (and Murray, of course). The others, not a chance. Dave - happy for this to be all in the same thread if you make it a regular thing.

Thanks AP. So at he risk of becoming Forum Geek of the month: In professional boxing, which 5 boxers beat Muhammad Ali? Which four current Premier League clubs have yet to win a major trophy?

No harm in being a geek. Better than being a chav Know nothing about boxing, so I will have to guess: Amir Khan, Frank Bruno, Mike Tyson, Rocky Balboa and Nicola Adams? Football one I'll go with Swansea City, Wigan Athletic, West Bromwich Albion and Sunderland.

Foreman
Frazier
Larry Holmes

Swansea
Wigan
QPR
Reading

Sunderland - FA CUP Winners 1973 I think - Bob Stokoe and all that. WBA - have won the old Division 1 and League Cup back in the day(s) QPR - League Cup winners in the 60s Swansea, Wigan and Reading are right though. Boxing - Frazier and Larry Holmes corect - 2nd and 4th fighters to beat him.   Right - now where's my Burberry and bling?

Frazier Forman Holmes Spinks (leon I think) ?

Leon Spinks was the third! Ali beat Foreman though - the Rumble in the Jungle - 1974? They only fought once.  

So we've got Swansea, Wigan and Reading - but Sunderland, WBA and QPR are all wrong. Hmm... Fulham?

Fulham it is! Fulham, Swansea, Wigan and Reading are the current Premiership clubs without a major trophy. Might be out of date in a few weeks if Swansea take the League Cup.

ken norton beat ali,and so did tevor berbick.the holmes and berbick fights should never have been sanctioned as ali was a shaddow of his former self

Will definitely be out of date in a couple of months when Wigan and Reading are relegated

Yes Funk - people around him should have had his best interests at heart, not their own. They were Ken Norton, Joe Frazier, Leon Spinks, Larry Holmes and Trevor Berbick.

Name the 8 players that have scored over 50 Premier League goals whose surnames start with the letter D. There are 23 one time golf Major winers since 2000. How many can you name? (Not sure of my wording but players since 2000 to have won one and only one Major in their career to date).

While I think about Dave's answers, I have another... Who are the only two unrelated golfers with same surname to have won the Open Championship?

Bradley
Ogilvy
Clarke
Simpson
Immelman
Ousthuizen
Zach Johnson
Kaymer
McDowell
YE Yang
Schwarzel
Weir
Bubba
Curtis
Hamilton

Is it male Major winners only?

Bradley
Ogilvy
Clarke
Simpson
Immelman
Ousthuizen
Zach Johnson
Kaymer
McDowell
YE Yang
Schwarzel
Weir
Bubba
Curtis
Hamilton

Michael Campbell

Sorry for duplicate posts, phone and finger issues!

Sorry Lou - intyernet down all wekend! The ones I have are: David Duval 2001  David Toms 2001  Rich Beem 2002  Mike Weir 2003  Jim Furyk 2003  Ben Curtis 2003  Shaun Micheel 2003  Todd Hamilton 2004  Michael Campbell 2005  Geoff Ogilvy 2006  Zach Johnson 2007  Trevor Immelman 2008  Lucas Glover 2009  Stewart Cink 2009  Yang Yong-eun 2009  Graeme McDowell 2010  Louis Oosthuizen 2010  Martin Kaymer 2010  Charl Schwartzel 2011  Darren Clarke 2011  Keegan Bradley 2011  Bubba Watson 2012  Webb Simpson 2012  

AP - that's a bit of a hard one - if I'm right then most of us weren't born for the first one!

Lou - Yes, the Open Championship in the men's game only. Dave - Just looked it up - the first one was just a few months after my dad was born, so some reading this will have been alive at the time

I had to cheat! So not posting it!!

I've a hunch it's Fred and John...

Correct!

davesablue (23.5) wrote (see)

Name the 8 players that have scored over 50 Premier League goals whose surnames start with the letter D.

We've been thinking about this for a couple of days now and we've got nine: 1. Didier Drogba2. Kevin Davies3. Dion Dublin4. Paul Dickov5. Jermain Defoe6. Damien Duff7. Clint Dempsey8. Brian Deane9. Paulo di Canio EDIT: We've decided to eliminate Paul Dickov.

Correct AP - Paul Dickov only got 10 out of 42 Premiership appearrences - mainly cos he played for us - City - and we were crap! Always be a hero though after Gillingham '99!!