Rangers into Administration

161 posts / 0 new

Honestly?

It is a bit of a shame that the SPL is going to become even easier for Celtic. They might hate them but Celtic need Rangers to make life interesting.

Ian wrote (see)

.....but London does get its park benches back!

One of these benches has my name on it.

bigeasy94 wrote (see)

It is a bit of a shame that the SPL is going to become even easier for Celtic. They might hate them but Celtic need Rangers to make life interesting.

Until Rangers started their own distortion field in the late 80s, buying all avaiable talent and never playing them, the SPL was pretty competitive with Aberdeen and Dundee Utd winning titles and cups and enjoying success in Europe. Rangers destroyed Scottish football with unearned (yours/mine) money. I would like to see justice done, but I'm not that hopeful.

justice as in seeing them relegated and re named? ibrox being knocked down and a morrisons built on the site?

Chris Tandy wrote (see)

justice as in seeing them relegated and re named? ibrox being knocked down and a morrisons built on the site?

That would be a good start.

well at least 50% of the city will agree with you!! 

country's have been governed on smaller majorities !!  

Chris Tandy wrote (see)

well at least 50% of the city will agree with you!! 

And most of the rest of the country, sans glory hunters ldo.

Don't worry I'm not sticking up for what the club have done, I just think its a shame for football.

Looks to me like football is going to keep going unchecked here, still corrupt, still a law unto itself.  Pity as this is as good a chance as the authorities have had...

I wonder how many clubs are actually debt free... not many i bet!!

tak wrote (see)

I wonder how many clubs are actually debt free... not many i bet!!

in fairness, that means nothing, if a business has no debts at all, it's actually not trying hard enough, there has to be some leverage or your expanding too slowly. Ok that's business as a whole, but still, it's no measure

But if the people that were owed money called it in a bet a good few more would end up like rangers and Pompey

So the key is how you agree to repay the debt, what interest you pay and if the debt is legal...

I realise that it's down to the law, but I'm just saying that the Scottish league might end up never being the same again :/

bigeasy94 wrote (see)

I realise that it's down to the law, but I'm just saying that the Scottish league might end up never being the same again :/

And dont we all hope that is so much the case!!!!!!!!!!!

the spl has been a farce ..celtic made a run but rangers destroyed it. The national game was damaged due to the lack of progression, good scottish players started to come to the english leagues.. but they are few and far between. If rangers cannot buy foreign talent then they will have develop home grown talent.. better for the spl in general 

Isn't it symptomatic of what has happened to the UK economy in general?  People thought the good times would never end (again for those who have seen this now happen a few times), think they can bend the rules to suit themselves, spend more than they have, and all of a sudden times get tough, debt is called in and bang! You could almost call Rangers a mini Greece.

Paddyjk wrote (see)

Positions 4 to 1 in the SPL? Hearts Motherwell Rangers Celtic

Got it 

So Whyte has admitted to using the £24 million from the ticket people to buy the club. How can that be right - using the assets of something you don't own to buy the thing you don't own?! And isn't that what the Glazers did with MU?

Exactly what the Glazers did with Man U. Financed the purchase by borrowing £700m against the assets then transferred the loans to Man U once the purchase was completed. I'm thinking of buying Sainsbury's using the same method....

it's amazing how due diligence doesn't pick this up...

Chris Tandy wrote (see)

it's amazing how due diligence doesn't pick this up...

Murray was desperate to sell as his companies had gone tits up, and the SFA/SPL didn't care becasue it was one of the OF.

So, players refuse to take wage cuts, and Amdinistrators now brought forward sale, and looking for buyers by the weekend These boys are going out of business!

Quick sale of a business clouded in so much uncertainty? Good luck with that.

Not a fan of Rangers at all, but if they do go out of business i feel it would be a massive blow for the SPL.

One down, one to go.  <---- my view

Yorkey wrote (see)

Not a fan of Rangers at all, but if they do go out of business i feel it would be a massive blow for the SPL.

Can't see how. They take the lions share of TV money, they never host home games on TV for which there is no recompanse for lost gate revenue, they take (along with Celtic) the two Champs League spots further entrenching their advantage, they have an enormous following of glory hunters who may follow their loocal team without their favourite bigot to glory hunt. Realy it's a no brainer, when Rangers were in trouble i nthe 80s, and Scotlands 5th force, with crowds as low as Dundee Utds are now, the game in Scotland had never been better. No reason why it couldn;t be the same again.

If the SPL becomes a one horse race then how long will it take Celtic to start demanding to be allowed to play in the EPL?

http://i53.tinypic.com/2isiir4.gif

fatshaft wrote (see)

Yorkey wrote (see)

Can't see how. They take the lions share of TV money, they never host home games on TV for which there is no recompanse for lost gate revenue, they take (along with Celtic) the two Champs League spots further entrenching their advantage, they have an enormous following of glory hunters who may follow their loocal team without their favourite bigot to glory hunt. Realy it's a no brainer, when Rangers were in trouble i nthe 80s, and Scotlands 5th force, with crowds as low as Dundee Utds are now, the game in Scotland had never been better. No reason why it couldn;t be the same again.

Fatshaft, having been a supporter and at least a bi-annual attender at Easter Road for the past 26 years i really do hope you are right.

Thing is Yorkey, can it be any worse? The ONLY people worried about and needing Rangers in the SPL, are the journalists, Traynor, Chick young and their ilk are terrified about losing their market if the Huns die, who will buy their papers, what will they write about?

Apart from the loyal Rangers fans very true, I'll have a word with the sister-in-law who works for the Daily Record and get her take on things.

Well now, things just got very interesting.... @BBCAlLamont: This from @bbcjimspence All 10 SPL clubs excluding Celtic and Rangers plan to meet next week to discuss radical changes to Scottish football Finally, finally, it looks like some balls are being grown up and down the country!

Gone!  Oooot! etc!

They could all start paying players what they can afford...  

Heard Ray Stubbs on Talk Sport this morning mentioning that TV deals with Sky and ESPN will continue if Rangers are in League One, but anything lower and they are likely to pull the plug.  Repercussions for other Scottish clubs if this scenario plays out.

Complete and utter mess..Rangers and the SPL. As noted above by someone else you should NEVER spend beyond your means to repay just in case everything goes belly up, which it just has. Seems to me this is a microcosm of what has happened globally in many countries. With the mess that the bankers are making of it I can't see it getting sorted within the next 10 years.

Leagues going to be fun next year.... No old firm matches, empty stadiums, league decided by February.  I can only assume the atmosphere will tempt the really big stars to take a chance on Scottish football.....

Cheers Big Ears wrote (see)

, league decided by October 

Minor correction for you!

I hope this can lead to a rebirth of Scottish football,so long as Rangers go to the 3rd Div. This would lead several other clubs similar to them in the SPL to go bust,but that's what maybe needs to happen. Look at Motherwell: twice in administration, they cut their cloth accordingly & are now in a Champions League qualifier.
As a Celtic fan I know this seems easy for me to take this standpoint,but this new set up would most likely lead to all other clubs voting against Celtic so that home gate receipts are shared out more. Celtic would then have to sell players until they were in a sustainable position, which should narrow the gap. All clubs would then rely on producing their own talent, which is about bloody time. The league structure could also be reviewed and something like a 14-16 team league may be an option.

Whilst this sounds rather simplistic, the other option is to try and rush rangers back after 1 season, & the current product that is Scottish football would continue to decline until amateur status is reached at all levels.

Leagues going to be fun next year.... No old firm matches, empty stadiums, league decided by February.  I can only assume the atmosphere will tempt the really big stars to take a chance on Scottish football.....

Empty stadiums? Season ticket sales have been booming since July 4th. this is exactly what was needed to put some interest back in the game. Cletic can go and play by themselves, the rest now have something to play for, and slowly Celtic will come back to the pack and there will be meaningful competition again.   As for Sevco 5088, there's an ever increasing chance they will not be playing any football next year.

I dont agree, I think the whole thing hinged on rangers and celtic.  Without them theres no difference between the scottish league and the welsh league.  The money dissappearing with the end of the old firm will take all the prospects for player earning away and  the standard will plummett.  All the youngsters will get more enjoyment out of watching the english premier league and season tickets will dry up I hope im wrong... but as I said, I'll not be watching Celtic vs Motherwell's top of the table clash when theres 30 points difference and the title is decided.  European places will be limited to a qualifying game.  I hope i'm wrong, i hope that in 4 or five years rangers will return into a close well supported league, with good sponsors and european quality.  But I cant see a single possible way that that can happen. 

I dont agree, I think the whole thing hinged on rangers and celtic.  

Oh it did, which is why fans everywhere are behind the deciosn of the SPL chairman to not allow a brand new team into the SPL. The Old Firm have ruined Scottish football since the SPL was created, where once there was competition and interest, now there's a two horse race, and 600,000 missing fans since its formation. You might not watch Motherwell v Celtic, but actual fans will start going through the gates again. Who gives a fuck about TV? That is the issue that the twats in charge at the SFA & SPL fail to grasp, we are not the EPL, TV money is not the major financial player, it's gate money in Scotland, and fans have been voiting with their feet on the lack of competition on show.   As for Welsh league, what a load of rubbish, the Highland League gets bigger crowds than the Welsh league.

fatshaft wrote (see)

The Old Firm have ruined Scottish football since the SPL was created, where once there was competition and interest, now there's a two horse race

Conversely all the other teams in Scotland have ruined Scottish football by not progressing at all from the 80s. Celtic/Rangers have always had 40k+ fans each weekend and, as you say, tv money is not the main factor in revenue in Scotland, so what have the other clubs done to keep competition alive? Admittedly Rangers should perhaps be excluded from this as they spent well outwith their means for the last 2 decades, but other clubs in Scotland wasting money on average foreigners hasn't helped Scottish football at all. As for becoming the Welsh/Irish league I cannot see that happening. Whilst we're not in a great place right now football is our #1 sport, whereas the others it's probably rugby or Gaelic games. Scottish football will recover and hopefully other leagues will suffer soon enough with the financial regulations change. In everything there tends to be a natural cycle of success and lulls, I only hope this lull isn't too long.

More bad news for Glasgow Rangers, Fifa have announced that Rangers will be left out of the forthcoming trial on goal line technology due to the fact that it's not actually compatable with Jumpers for goal posts in the local park leagues!

Stephen D (12.8) wrote (see)

fatshaft wrote (see)

The Old Firm have ruined Scottish football since the SPL was created, where once there was competition and interest, now there's a two horse race

Conversely all the other teams in Scotland have ruined Scottish football by not progressing at all from the 80s. Celtic/Rangers have always had 40k+ fans each weekend and, as you say, tv money is not the main factor in revenue in Scotland, so what have the other clubs done to keep competition alive?

no they havn't. Rangers regularly had less than 10,000 in the 80s until David Murray started cheating. And when I say TV money isn't important, it's not to the other ten clubs, becasue the former Old Firm hoovered up most of it for themselves, thereby exagerating the already natural advanatge they had from gate receipts. What have the others done? Dons went from a profitable club prgressive club, first to have dugots, first to have all seating, first all covered in the UK,  to now having £15m of debt and a stadium that is falling to bits. Hearts are £40m in debt. Motherwell have been into admin and out again. Arkwright has spent the family silver keeping the Arabs afloat and his family are now basically skint. Gretna went bust.   That do for starters?  

fatshaft wrote (see)

Stephen D (12.8) wrote (see)

Conversely all the other teams in Scotland have ruined Scottish football by not progressing at all from the 80s. Celtic/Rangers have always had 40k+ fans each weekend and, as you say, tv money is not the main factor in revenue in Scotland, so what have the other clubs done to keep competition alive?

What have the others done? Dons went from a profitable club prgressive club, first to have dugots, first to have all seating, first all covered in the UK,  to now having £15m of debt and a stadium that is falling to bits. Hearts are £40m in debt. Motherwell have been into admin and out again. Arkwright has spent the family silver keeping the Arabs afloat and his family are now basically skint. Gretna went bust.   That do for starters?

That's plenty for starters and thanks for giving evidence to my point. The rest of scottish football have been just as guilty as Rangers for spending outwith their means and, more often than not, on sub-standard foreigners that have added nothing to competition and only taken big pay packets. One team on your list, Motherwell, have been in administration twice, but now have a good young footballing team and are in a Champions League qualifier. St Mirren and St Johnstone are also teams who have tried to be business savvy and, at times, were also exciting to watch. Dundee Utd are still paying off some of the mistakes of the past, but have produced some great talent in the last 4-5 years and last season assembled a starting 11 for £80k which played Rangers off the park. Russell and Mackay-Stevns have looked great in the league and at Under 21 level, so I hope they continue to progress to the full National side. Gretna are perhaps a microcsm for all Scottish football sides: chase a dream, spend more than you bring in, then die. What that dream is though varies from club to club. 

What has become blatantly obvious over the last few months is that Scottish football has been living on borrowed time for probably the last 4/5 years.  To survive or not is the question.  Indeed to survive it needs to change radically to live within it's means.  That can only be a good thing but it will take time and be very painful.  I could not believe it when it was reported that the Dons were £15m in debt.  I am led to understand that they were one of the more prudent clubs but if that's the hole they are in then the rest of the SPL teams must be in far deeper. Personally I think Celtic should go south to play in England as that will probably give them as much exposure (probably more) and more money in the longer term that being the big fish in the small pond that is the SPL.  That would leave the SPL (or whatever it will call itself) as a genuinely competitive league where any one of the teams could get into Europe.  Suspect that even the Celtic supporters would vote for that as the old firm matches will not happen at all over the next few years and hence the rest of the games will be of little interest.

Pages