Rangers into Administration

161 posts / 0 new

Ken Mavor (13.0) wrote (see)

Personally I think Celtic should go south to play in England ....

This has been suggested before but I've yet to hear anyone come up with a good argument for why the EPL would want them. Or are you suggesting that Celtic would join at a lower level Ken?

Tim E wrote (see)

Ken Mavor (13.0) wrote (see)

Personally I think Celtic should go south to play in England ....

This has been suggested before but I've yet to hear anyone come up with a good argument for why the EPL would want them. Or are you suggesting that Celtic would join at a lower level Ken?

It does not necessarily have to be the EPL but Championship would be a good start and if they win that the into the EPL.

I still think the EPL clubs would find a way to exclude Celtic. There's no real apetite amongst English clubs to integrate Celtic, or Rangers either for that matter. If there was it would probably have already happened.

I don't know Celtic's financial situation. Are they currently ok, and self-sustaining?

For god's sake lets not get into this Old Firm to England nonsense again, it cannot happen, it is prohiobited by English footballing rules to have teams outwith the country playing in their leagues, this was added to their statutes the last time the ugly sisters came calling.

Stephen D (12.8) wrote (see)

fatshaft wrote (see)
Stephen D (12.8) wrote (see)

Conversely all the other teams in Scotland have ruined Scottish football by not progressing at all from the 80s. Celtic/Rangers have always had 40k+ fans each weekend and, as you say, tv money is not the main factor in revenue in Scotland, so what have the other clubs done to keep competition alive?

What have the others done? Dons went from a profitable club prgressive club, first to have dugots, first to have all seating, first all covered in the UK,  to now having £15m of debt and a stadium that is falling to bits. Hearts are £40m in debt. Motherwell have been into admin and out again. Arkwright has spent the family silver keeping the Arabs afloat and his family are now basically skint. Gretna went bust.   That do for starters?

That's plenty for starters and thanks for giving evidence to my point. The rest of scottish football have been just as guilty as Rangers for spending outwith their means and, more often than not, on sub-standard foreigners that have added nothing to competition and only taken big pay packets. One team on your list, Motherwell, have been in administration twice, but now have a good young footballing team and are in a Champions League qualifier. St Mirren and St Johnstone are also teams who have tried to be business savvy and, at times, were also exciting to watch. Dundee Utd are still paying off some of the mistakes of the past, but have produced some great talent in the last 4-5 years and last season assembled a starting 11 for £80k which played Rangers off the park. Russell and Mackay-Stevns have looked great in the league and at Under 21 level, so I hope they continue to progress to the full National side. Gretna are perhaps a microcsm for all Scottish football sides: chase a dream, spend more than you bring in, then die. What that dream is though varies from club to club. 

Evidence to your point? Your point was what have other clubs done to keep competition alive. First you asked what other clubs had done to compete, and what they have done is bust the bank trying to keep up with Rangers FINANCIAL CHEATING. So no, not "just as guilty as Rangers", because none have used illegal double contracts, none have failed to pay their tax bills (under Murray), nor deliberatly withheld PAYE (under Whyte). And, in the worst extremes of Aberdeen and Hearts, neither have gone into admin, or even liquidation, becasue they are servicing their debt. So no, not as guilty as Rangers, in fact not guilty of anything, other than honestly trying to compete in a competition that was corrupt.

fatshaft wrote (see)

For god's sake lets not get into this Old Firm to England nonsense again, it cannot happen, it is prohiobited by English footballing rules to have teams outwith the country playing in their leagues, this was added to their statutes the last time the ugly sisters came calling.

Not trying to be awkward but how do Swansea and Cardiff get around it?  Historical?

If it was in the EPL's interests to have a team located outside of England in their ranks then they'd change their rules in an instant.

Robster wrote (see)

fatshaft wrote (see)

Not trying to be awkward but how do Swansea and Cardiff get around it?  Historical?

yes

Quite right too.  A new legal entity rising from the ashes of the liquidated Club.  Cos of their resources Stadium/fans/current staff they can enter the professional league rather than the Semi Pro/Am equivalent. Maybe the new club will be run on a sensible basis and grow.  The clubs in the other divsions hoping for hoards of Blue Clad visitors paying inflated prices will have to cut their cloth accordingly!

Pages