Speedway

20 posts / 0 new
Speedway

Due to highjacking another thread, thought I'd try this on here.

Are there many speedway fans on the forum? After cobra4's revelation about his son Ricky, might be interesting!

As I said, I'm a Glasgow Tigers man and like to follow Belle Vue in the Elite League. As with Glasgow, things can't get much worse!

think its more of an acquired taste glen

I used to go and watch Oxford until it all went tits up! Still watch the grand prix on Sky every now and then - had a great time at the British gp in Cardiff a few tears ago... Some noise with the roof on!

its a great event at cardiffGP's even better in poland with 40-50,000 speedway crazy polaks in the crowd

Sky must have been a huge bonus fospeedway and raising it's profile. It had little national exposure before Sky dipped in

I used to watch Arena Essex about 28 years ago. At the time I was quite into it and used to go Canterbury, Hackney and Rye House.Left the country for a couple of years and then when I came back and moved to the East Mids I went to Long Eaton (now long gone).Haven't been since but have had holidays in Isle of Wight and Berwick-upon-Tweed in recent years. Perhaps I'll go again if only for the smell.

Funkycoldmedina (19) wrote (see)

Sky must have been a huge bonus fospeedway and raising it's profile. It had little national exposure before Sky dipped in

spot on FCMspeedway was once quoted as britain 2nd biggest spectator sport but was dying a slow death till sky stepped in

Is it merely profile or has the TV cash helped as well? Who are the power brokers in world speedway?

Funkycoldmedina (19) wrote (see)

Is it merely profile or has the TV cash helped as well? Who are the power brokers in world speedway?

bothsky put money into british speedway for their exclusive rights to screen it but it has raised the profile again bringing in new supporters and bringing back people who drifted away from the sportspeedway suffered badly in the past with terrestrial tv coverage mainly the BBC, invariably they had a 2 camera set up at a wet meeting and so the '1st guy into turn 1 first always wins' myth was bornnothing better than watching a great meeting with dave lanning as commentator

As much as I despise Murdoch he revolutionised my favourite sport - Rugby League.The BBC coverage of some sports was cliched and amateurish. It paints the sport in a negative light and doesn't entice new fans. Sky's coverage is streets ahead (though dumb and dumber on the RL coverage need replacing)

agreed worked the full SGP series with a rider friend of mine in 2000 and the proffessional approach of sky took it coverage to a new level, where as in the past tv companies merely went through the motionsits a quality product on sky

What sort of viewing figures do you think they get for a meet?

wouldnt have a clue FCMmust be doing okay for sky to keep it in their schedules

I depend on Sky these days to keep up with speedway, since I am now in the north of Scotland, I don't get much chance to get to meetings. (Nearest would be Edinburgh, spit!). I think the coverage is first class, just wish they would show more premier league meetings.I've been trying to get to Cardiff for the past couple of years, still want to do it.Does anyone remember the Paisley Lions in the late seventies? Went there every Saturday night. Unfortunately they only lasted a few seasons, as St Mirren Park was modernised and the track went.

Used to watch Teesside Tigers back in the day, before they became Middlesbrough Tigers, Middlesbrough Bears, then Cleveland Bears, sold the track and opened a new place up in Redcar. Shows how long I've been going.....Gary Havelock is the ageing ex-world champion who captains Redcar these days. I remember watching his Dad Brian riding at Teesside, as well as Ivan Mauger who was at Newcastle Diamonds back then.Not been to a live meeting for too long having moved down South, but keep threatening to take the family to Arena Essex one evening.

remember being under the flyover at clevelend park in the early 80's a cracking little venue still the stand burnt down. young havvy was doing demonstration races thengood set up at arena too

Used to be taken to Speedway on the back of my dads motorbike, to Belle Vue, surely the coolest way to arrive. Now only go occasionally. Also, pop along to the BRISCA Stockcar meets when they are on. The Smith family are still bl00dy winning them.

One thing that annoyed me about Sky's coverage was that they didn't show the playoff between the bottom team and the winners of the premier. Anyone got any tips for the winners this year? Or world champ? Was glad to see Jason win this year, but it would have been good if Gollob had done it.

DaytonaGlen wrote (see)

One thing that annoyed me about Sky's coverage was that they didn't show the playoff between the bottom team and the winners of the premier. Anyone got any tips for the winners this year? Or world champ? Was glad to see Jason win this year, but it would have been good if Gollob had done it.

cant see past crumpy doing it again in 2010, he won this year despite being injured for a good part of the seasonas for league winners will have to see 2010 team strengths before assessing their chances

Good post to know more about the valuable sports...I am basic sports learner for the best usage about the valuable proacess.keep sharing.