Final Day Guts

15 posts / 0 new
Final Day Guts
Even par was never going to win The Players Championship final day. A tremendous finish for Davis Love and hats off to Allenby and Triplett also, for giving it their best shot. We normally expect this sort of Tigerish response from the 'man himself' - but a lacklustre finish from him and the two third round leaders Haas and Harrington.

Looking down the card - there were some astonishing collapses, with some pro's shooting amateur medal scores.
Pavin -79
Flesch -79
Mediate -78
Daly -80
Lonard -80
Lee Janzen -83

Didn't watch much, but I gather they had had some weather -- not sure when, though several players were still in raingear when I fired it up late in the round. Perhaps some of those high scorers were out in it -- some players are better rain and wind players than others. When I heard the forecast, I felt optimistic for the Irish lads, but they obviously didn't have whatever Love had for breakfast.

Another lacklustre final day in 'The Masters' With a couple of the leaders falling back to the rest of the field every chance for a Tigerish display -

Mattiace and Weir delivering in style (Who?)

The rest failed to threaten.

I think Weir's round was just about patience.

I dont think the guy forced the score at all. He just took his chances and putted well. He seemed to play with a no risk strategy.

His par 5 score for the week was something like -8. Which could indicate where he was trying to pick up his birdies.

Alan, what do you mean Weir who?, he has been a top player for some time now. I have more frequently heard the question 'why hasn't he won more yet?' than 'Weir who?'. A bit longer and they could have switched the old 'best player not to have won a major' title over to the Canadian, it obviously sits well on a left hander!! Didn't think it was lacklustre either, in actual fact I totally disagree with you, so keep your opinions off this site!!!!!

By the way am-drams? what part are you playing, and don't make a monkey out of me!

Handbags at dawn!!!

Awe c'mon Al - you can't honestly think that a final day with only fifteen players under par was anything but lacklustre.

The game was 'lost' by most of the opposition, rather than being 'won' by Weir. The playoff proved that.

I do, however, admire Weirs style and bulletproof putting stroke.

Oh, the am-dram was a farce. I played the part of a drunken civil servant and at one point had to fall off a chair.
You'll be delighted to know that due to overacting on Friday night I damaged my ribs and at present am not able to play golf (had to scratch from Sunday's medal)

left handed bags ? Oooops darling ?

Sounds like appropriate casting girls & or was someone getting well into the role what was it few bundies & coke ?

Who was yer understudy Lez Patterson ?

I must admit I fell asleep, nothing much was happening when Tiger lost the plot.

Len Mattiace - that would have been a real shocker for everyone, especially those at Augusta who set up the course in tur Bobby Jones style to find the best golfer of the day - Len Mattiace just doesn't fit that description.

However, Weir, what a putting stroke, absolutely awesome from all over the place. He could teach the other lefty a thing or two about rolling the ball in. I wonder how Mickelson is feeling after letting another major slip, this time to another lefty?

I reackon Weir is a good bet for the PGA Champs too.

As for our Open - It's Sandwich, low scoring, short course and whoever makes the most birdies that week, wins.

Woods? I think so.

The Open, I don't think it will be a Yank put your money on Lawrie.

Whoever asked "Weir Who?" hasn't been paying attention. This is his third win of the season, one being a major: aside from being top of the money list, it puts him ahead of Woods (and everyone else except perhaps Els, and that depends how you rate a major) in terms of a great early season.

I thought it was a very good Masters, from Darren Clarke setting the early pace to Els recovering from a totally disastrous first round to give himself a look at it to Weir digging in and also recovering after some Saturday mistakes with characteristic stick-to-it-iveness. He's a very cool putter, has a good iron game, and, best of all, a clear head -- it's neither swollen nor flappable.

Woods had a great, and characteristic, third round recovery, but he really lost the plot on Sunday. Those who plant things in the media for him started writing about his "poor health" (?); he himself made sure we knew the mistake at the third resulted from Steve Williams' suggestion. He then went all "noble" and said, of course it's always the player's call, but I was glad to see that some of the press over here did not let him get away with what is generally considered to have been a shabby and sly attempt to disperse the blame. He didn't play that well going in; it happens. Made the Masters much more fun.

If you look again at my post it said "Mattiace and Weir (who?)" -- let's face it neither of them were 'expected' to be in the shake up.

Weir is a great player and I believe a countryman of yours Venetian - but was hardly a name that sprang to the lips of anyone talking about the top 20 golfers in the world.
Now all that has changed and I hope that his current 'purple patch' continues.

Weir had a less than stellar season last year, but at the start of it he WAS in the top 20; at one point he'd been in the top 10, where he safely reposes again.

He may not have won that much, but he has won big: after the Air Canada, he won the AmEx World Golf Championship at Valderrama, and then the Tour Championship, before this year's two early wins and a major. He also had, until last year, plenty good finishes.

He, Els, Woods and Love were the only players to have won twice on the Tour this season before the Masters. If people were not thinking of him, it was an oversight.

I'm actually from Scotland, but living out here in Canada I do hear a lot about Weir, and I've seen him plenty on the PGA Tour. But my favourite memory of him is at Presidents Cup in 2000, where he and Goosen were the only International rookies.

As you may recall, the US blew the Internationals out of the water. At the beginning, Peter Thomson said, rather patronisingly, of Weir, "He's our mascot." The "mascot," in the end, was the ONLY International to post a winning score for the matches. (Goosen, I might add, was the only International to beat Woods -- along with Singh, and also beating Notah Begay, in either 4-ball or foursomes, I don't remember).