Over Rated/ Under Rated/ Marginal Tour Pros Thread

29 posts / 0 new
Over Rated/ Under Rated/ Marginal Tour Pros Thread

In an effort to initiate a potentially on-going discussion thread I thought it might be fun to discuss our personal opinions regarding which Pro Tour Players are Over/ Under Rated. Always interesting to get another golfer's take on the pro tour and who they like/dislike, etc..

So I'll start off with most Over Rated :  Dustin Johnson....big and athletic looking does not necessarily a great golfer make...I also question his golf IQ as I've often seen him make poor course management decisions as well as expose his less than adequate short game under pressure on Sunday afternoons...

In over their head category:  Several pros who I think are essentially AAAA and simply will not win on the big stage:  Charles Howell lll  and Briny Baird come readily to mind as they sometimes flirt with the leader board on Thursday or even Friday but are nowhere to be seen on Sunday at dusk....in todays PGA Tour with the post Tiger era, bloated paychecks one need only make cuts regularly in order to rake in millions......leave the hardware for the big boys and take the checks via direct deposit...LOL

I must admit to being at something of a loss at the moment for an  underrated candidate....I like Luke Donald and belief that he is a smart golfer -usually displays excellent course management skills and , though not a big hitter knows how to negotiate his way around a course....another guy who seems under rated is Zach Johnson with similar style but perhaps more complete game than Donald -at least in past couple of years...Johnson is quietly having a fine year.

The new superstar:   Ladies and Gentlemen. I give you the 20 year old wunderkind

Jordan Speith ....a complete game with a mental approach well beyond his tender years....if I were to pick one player to become the next big thing it's definitely Speith.

Well, that should provide some grist for the mill....I look forward to reading about your take on tour talent (or lack thereof , as the case may be! )  Cheers.

I think some of those choices are a bit on the obvious side.

Quite a limited comment there, CS, after a quite elaborate post.

I don't think any of them will lose any sleep over a thread like this. Each and every one of them has more talent in their little fingers than all of us put together. I'm not sure how former No1 Luke Donald and major winner Zach Johnson can be classed as under-rated.

Keve wrote (see)

I don't think any of them will lose any sleep over a thread like this. Each and every one of them has more talent in their little fingers than all of us put together. I'm not sure how former No1 Luke Donald and major winner Zach Johnson can be classed as under-rated.

I don't know how Donald is viewed on your side of the pond but here in the States he is sometimes called "Fluke" Donald....that should tell you all you need to know... meanwhile Zach Johnson quietly wins or top tens on a regular basis but rarely gets the kind of adoration reserved for other players...Do you get Golf Channel in UK ?? Because it sounds like your golf coverage is considerably less extensive than our 24/7 coverage of the sport.

Ah you're American, that explains it.

Keve wrote (see)

Yes, I'm an American. You know, the nation that bailed out your nation's sorry arse  (and most of Europe and the world for that matter!) during and after World War ll ; the nation that has completely dominated golf for generations and still holds claim to the two greatest players to ever hoist a club: Nicklaus and Woods....now we prepare to dominate the next generation with a bevy of young uber-talented superstars led by Jordan Spieth......yup, I'm an American ...and you can be forgiven for believing that Americans invented the game of golf.

You're Welcome.    

I can't believe that from a nation as big and as talented as yours, we end up with someone as boring as you!!

Zzzzzz

Come on guys, we are all golfers so show some decorum please. Back to the original post, it's marginal whether a player is over or under rated. If you aint got what it takes you won't be hanging around for long! That said, I think there are some players waxing and waning. There are guys with pretty swings who don't do much with them and ones not so pretty but get results - Furyk springs to mind. Webb Simpson is probably over rated. One good season and he also has an awful golf swing. There ar others who hang around and have a decent tournament one in a while like Kyle Stanley, Nick Watney and that tedious Keegan Bradley. Now, Jordan Speith is in another class. He has just gone 54 holes without a bogey in the Players Tournament, which is awesome given the difficulty of the course and conditions. Not a classic swinger in the mold of Adam Scott, but nor was Jack Nicklaus, but he knew how to get the job done.  

Stogiesnbogies wrote (see)

Keve wrote (see)

Yes, I'm an American. You know, the nation that bailed out your nation's sorry arse  (and most of Europe and the world for that matter!) during and after World War ll ; the nation that has completely dominated golf for generations and still holds claim to the two greatest players to ever hoist a club: Nicklaus and Woods....now we prepare to dominate the next generation with a bevy of young uber-talented superstars led by Jordan Spieth......yup, I'm an American ...and you can be forgiven for believing that Americans invented the game of golf.

You're Welcome.    

You're seriously bringing a war that happened long before we were born into an argument about golf, what a dick!

He's trying to rescue possibly the shittest thread ever by starting a fight. Still a shit thread.

CS wrote (see)

He's trying to rescue possibly the shittest thread ever by starting a fight. Still a shit thread.

The quality of a thread is often determined by the consciousness level of the critic... I readily concede that you would know shit far better than I , having such an intimate relationship with the goings on between your ears.

Keve wrote (see)

Keve wrote (see)

You're Welcome.    

You're seriously bringing a war that happened long before we were born into an argument about golf, what a dick!

Perhaps you conveniently overlooked the manner in which another poster rudely started this spat....by simply making an anti-American comment and exclaiming that it "explains everything" or such....please read the thread carefully before racing to convenient and jingoistic conclusions about who is the "dick" here.......I am the put-upon party here and simply replying in kind....try to demonstrate some reasoned reserve before jumping to rash conclusions....and BTW:yes were it not for my nation we'd be discussing this in German...or at least you guys would.  LOL

FIIIIIIIIIIGGGHHHHHHT

Ray Rapp wrote (see)

Come on guys, we are all golfers so show some decorum please. Back to the original post, it's marginal whether a player is over or under rated. If you aint got what it takes you won't be hanging around for long! That said, I think there are some players waxing and waning. There are guys with pretty swings who don't do much with them and ones not so pretty but get results - Furyk springs to mind. Webb Simpson is probably over rated. One good season and he also has an awful golf swing. There ar others who hang around and have a decent tournament one in a while like Kyle Stanley, Nick Watney and that tedious Keegan Bradley. Now, Jordan Speith is in another class. He has just gone 54 holes without a bogey in the Players Tournament, which is awesome given the difficulty of the course and conditions. Not a classic swinger in the mold of Adam Scott, but nor was Jack Nicklaus, but he knew how to get the job done.     First off, my thanks for trying to bring some order and decorum to this thread....

You mention several real or potential "over rated" players here....while it may be too soon to judge many of them as they are still new to the Tour...their trajectories at present suggest that you may well be correct...i.e. Webb Simpson suddenly seems like last years hemlines doesn't he? LOL  Watney and Stanley may well be spot-on assessments ...though methinks Watney has the potential to rise above it...the one you mention who I believe will prove to be more than a flash in the pan, however, is Keegan Bradley....he has won a major and I believe is yet another one of these guys who are undergoing swing changes....BTW: I've never understood why so many of these guys attain success and THEN decide to change a swing that brought that success....it's happened to so many of them too!    One painful example is one of my favorite players Padraig Harrington who wins like crazy, decides to change his swing and essentially has not been heard from again -in years now!   Crazy , in my opinion.....you've got to go with the girl who got you to the dance!!  Why in the world would you argue with success?! LOL BTW: I noticed that absolutely no one here has jumped to the defense of Charles Howell lll or Briny Baird.  

Is the American still banging on?

At least someone started a thread. I also agree that derogatory remarks about race are not allowed     . . . but you would already know that 

Ha ha ha you are rubbish at this.

There are no derogatory remarks about race. When Keve said "Ah, you're American, that explains it" it was because the perception of underrated, overrated etc is linked to media coverage and would be different depending on where you live.

The personal remarks came from the old fella himself.

Let's not drag your feelings about the Welsh into another thread

How does our American friend feel about Kaymer besting his little star. Notwithstanding the fact that he`s German.

Taz wrote (see)

At least someone started a thread.  

I keep starting threads about the role kitchens play in golf and someone keeps deleting them.......

CS wrote (see)

Ha ha ha you are rubbish at this. There are no derogatory remarks about race. When Keve said "Ah, you're American, that explains it" it was because the perception of underrated, overrated etc is linked to media coverage and would be different depending on where you live. The personal remarks came from the old fella himself. Let's not drag your feelings about the Welsh into another thread

I love the Welsh . . . literally  I guess the difference is whether you can spot the difference between banter and genuine abuse. . . . but you are Scottish, that explains it  

Although I love the English ... literally

Just not all of them

Bobbie (6.3) wrote (see)

How does our American friend feel about Kaymer besting his little star. Notwithstanding the fact that he`s German.

You mean Kaymer hung on by his fingernails and managed to eeeck out a one stroke "victory" over a 44 year old American....LOL

Taz wrote (see)

At least someone started a thread. I also agree that derogatory remarks about race are not allowed     . . . but you would already know that 

Hey Taz !!  How you hitting 'em, old man?! Yes...I too have noticed the dearth of new threads here of late.....most unfortunate that in the midst of the golf season there seems to be so little discussion  going on here lately....puzzling, and disappointing to be sure....

Bobbie (6.3) wrote (see)

You mean Kaymer hung on by his fingernails and managed to eeeck out a one stroke "victory" over a 44 year old American....LOL

It doesn't matter how - the winner is still the winner. I'm hitting them quite well, for this time of year - thanks for asking   

This made me laugh!  The implication being that if you only beat an American by a small amount it doesn't really count?!?! lol.

Alan Mills wrote (see)

This made me laugh!  The implication being that if you only beat an American by a small amount it doesn't really count?!?! lol. Kaymer beat a guy who's old enough to be his dad..by one stroke!! -leaking oil all the way down the back stretch. a textbook example of a Pyrrhic victory at best, eh?!   LOL

Well I'd say that we can ALL agree that another American named Tiger regularly set the gold standard for issuing full throttled thrashings to his opponents including an unprecedented and utterly dominating performance at the 100th U.S. Open- winning by a FULL TWELVE STROKES!!   (I remind you that this is THE toughest test in all of golf, gentlemen with convenient memories!! LOL)  I also remind you that there were more than a few highly ranked Euros -including Brits in the field....very, very far behind in that field!!  LOL That boys and girls, is what we in the states call a "victory" . But then being American golfers, our standards of excellence are considerably higher.  Cheers 

Please refrain from xenophobic abuse ladies and gents, no matter who starts it please don't rise to it. If we feel that any of you overstep the mark then we will be forced to whip out a Bozo and much like a shank, no one wants to see one of them. If Spieth and Kaymer can do it in the heat of competition, i reckon we can crack it on here...just http://www.golfmagic.com/news/spieth-reveals-kind-words-from-kaymer-during-players-championship/19217.html 

Well said, Mr. Lemay.