Ross Fisher

12 posts / 0 new
Ross Fisher

It's great to see some English guys up there in a competition, posting a second and third behind Mickelson in the HSBC @ Shanghai against a class field.

Mickelson beat Englishmen Ross Fisher and Lee Westwood with a birdie on the second extra hole at Sheshan International Golf Club. The three had finished 72 holes at 10-under-par 278.

Fisher, ranked No. 141 in the world, had a one-stroke lead going to the 72nd hole but made double bogey.

C'mon guys - why no other mention of this?

Boanerges

No mention,Taz, because as is common by top British Pros, they failed at the death and class in the shape? of PM crawled through.Surely you found Lee's and Ross's antics at the 18th on the final round more than just sad?!

Personally I think that Lee's last round was awesome to even get himself in contention for the playoof.

At least he was going forward and not trying to throw the prize away like Mickelson and Casey.

You say Lees round was awesome, but there was no pressure on him because he was so far behind.  Like Ross Fisher when the pressures on they never produce very often in an individual competition.  Lee didnt produce in the play off did he !!

^^ Hang on, Westwood took a 3 wood from miles away and went for glory, his ball only failed to stay up by a matter of inches. i'd hardly call that a choke or "failing to produce" Fair play to him i say.

Yes he tried but yet again a Brit doesnt win a big competition at the final hole.  Not saying hes not a very good golfer, I like him a lot.

I noticed that Westwood was 1000/1 to win that tournament at betfair when he started the back nine on the  Sunday . I would never have forgiven myself if he`d won, because I didn`t bother putting any silver on him!!!!

Good call colour, although Westwood did well, I wouldnt bet on Mickleson losing a 10-12 shot lead over nine holes too often.

All good experience for likely Ryder Cup candidates. Good to see that Westwood is still a class act and that Ross Fisher will have gained valuable knowledge from going head to head with a top player like Mickelson. He missed out this time but, as a fellow Sunday morning insomniac golfer, and watching the final holes live, he looked to be longer and straighter than most off the tee, accurate into greens and just lacking the nerve to convert the vital putts. Looks a great prospect from where I sat on the edge of my armchair.

I agree Bob ideal candidates for Ryder cup team where we all do great because of the superb team spirit. BUT we stil seem to come second best in the big individual tournaments, Padraig aside this year.  I watched the last hole too and felt sorry for Fisher taking a seven and still having to sink a tester to get in the play off.

I caddied for a mate of mine who played Ross when he was a 19 year old amateur in a match at Wentworth about 7 years ago. Ross was off 2 at the time and my mate was off 5, so 2 strokes were received around the East Course. My mate played out of his skin and shot 5 over off the Tips having never played there before but unfortunatley lost on the 19th.I remember I was very impressed with the distance Ross hit his driver (stating the obvious but such an asset) and his putting was phenomenal. Admittedly he was a bit wayward on a couple of occasions but certainly he was the best 2 handicapper I had ever seen and he was also very polite and good company. From then on I have looked out for his name and was delighted to see that he managed to turn Pro after having played to a hcap of +4!!!My mate was gutted last Sunday, as he had a bet on Ross and had he won he would of netted one hundred and sixty eight quid! 

Any updates so far on were Ross Fisher is? Or is he still in the business? https://imagicon.info/cat/10-3/1.gif