Shane Lowry (A)

15 posts / 0 new
Shane Lowry (A)

YES!!!  Well done Shane!!!!

As an Irishman, I'm over the moon with that result.   Fair play to Robert Rock for playing some great golf to stay in the game.  Still, I bet he's not too unhappy, seeing he gets the first place cash!

Great Tournament The young Lowry did extremely well after a slight wobble turned things around and went on too tie after 72 holes and then win the playoff after missing that putt. All a bit different which made it a good Viewing with the weather and the course forcing players to play a different game and be inventive. I guess with 2 year exemption now the lad would go pro .

Well done Shane, good to see R-mac hang around to celebrate with him.  NI and Eire have a great crop of youngsters who will sonn be full time on tour.Its really short sighted of the Tour to make Ireland host in May though, the weather is shocking.  Why not give us all what we really want, a 'Links Swing' during the first 3 weeks of July.  If we had that, we'd see one of the strongest fields all year!

Best televised golf so far this year. That 3 wood from 260y on the second playoff hole was immense, almost Padraig-esque.

"I guess with 2 year exemption now the lad would go pro . "I don't think he gets the exemption unless he turns pro within 14 days. I recall when an amateur won on the tour last year and the commentators were discussing what rights he does or does not get and basically, he can only claim the exemption if he decides to turn pro within a certain time period which I think is 14 days.

He looks like he enjoys a pie or two as well. A golfer to aspire too. 

Dave The Slice wrote (see)

He looks like he enjoys a pie or two as well. A golfer to aspire too. 

Yeah a bit like Westwood not so long ago and not to mention Monty. Great weekend for Irish amatuer golf with Kearney winning the Brabazon too. Certainly made great viewing. Be interesting to see if Lowry turns pro before the WC. Handled the pressure over 39 holes better than alot of seasoned pros would have imo.

Going off topic slightly, what annoys me immensely is that the "European Tour" in their latest news: under Latest News they see fit to a) lead with Zach Johnson b) there is no mention at all of the Irish Open. Even better under European Tour News they seem to ignore it too. Pretty pathetic imho.

www.europeantour.com seems to have it as "Main" news for me

Dick in shorts(15.0) wrote (see)

www.europeantour.com seems to have it as "Main" news for me

Quite. Had you relied on the leading edge RSS feed that the European Tour has then you would not have seen it.

Styles wrote (see)

Why not give us all what we really want, a 'Links Swing' during the first 3 weeks of July.  If we had that, we'd see one of the strongest fields all year!

Absolutely, that would be fantastic.Irish Open (links), Scottish Open (presumably Dundonald, as that is owned by Loch Lomond), then The Open.  

As nice as your suggestion is MTP, it is an impossibility due mainly to infrastructure.It'd be great to see Royal Portrush or Royal County Dwon host an Open but the truth is they couldn't handle the traffic or people of an Open.  There is a small chance one of them could get the Irish Open mind you.

Agreed!

With Lowry in the top twenty now and Rory still number 1 and hosting the Irish Open I wonder if they could use their power to push the European tour to move the Irish Open to the week after the Open and get that genuine links swing.

Alas next year the Irish Open moves to Lough Erne which is nice enough but it's no links.

Also interesting that since my post both Royal Portrush and RCD have hosted the Irish Open and Portrush will have the big one in the next five years.

And where are those folk who used to be regular contributors?

That's my first contribution in a while!