Talkback: McIlroy holds off Woods to become No.1

17 posts / 0 new
Talkback: McIlroy holds off Woods to become No.1

Congratulations to Rory - just a wee boy from Holywood and he's the best in the world.  Fantastic.

Fantastic effort! Loved every minute of it. The boy done good....

Yep, I think he was awesome considering he did not have his A game in the final round and you know who was breathing down his neck. Short game was very impressive bearing in mind less than a year ago it was the worst part of his game. I don't think there's anything or anyone stopping him now from dominating the game for some time. 

Well done to the lad hope he can stop there for a while now

Congrats to him, now to hold onto it for another 11 Years

he will lose the ranking in a months time. Westwood will win the masters and jump over him.

Yeah i seem to remember having a bit of a go saying he wasnt the best yet... May have to eat those words.

Tiger learned to putt though!!

I cant wait for the masters now, hopefully Tiger, Phil and Rory in a 3 man golfing demolition derby...

The way Rory is hitting it now makes me think its going to take Tiger v2008 to bring him back!

Apparently Rory has now earned more prize money than Greg Norman won in his entire career.

Pre- or post-divorce settlements, Claver?

AP wrote (see)

Pre- or post-divorce settlements, Claver?

Maybe that's why Rory picked Woz. She earns more than he does!

The money is nothing, Rory is already a multi and anyway, you can't compare earnings from twenty or so years ago with today's inflated purses. For these boy's it about winning big titles and there's nothing bigger than majors. Incidentally, the no.1 spot became interesting when Tiger relinquished it a couple of years ago after hogging for neearly a decade. I think it is more interesting now that a few players are in the mix - all Europeans of course!

Fantastic, Rory did the job despite not bringing his "A" game, Tiger looked to be getting his form back as well, all bodes well for an excellent golfing year. still sticking with big Phil for the Masters though.

It would take an Ulsterman getting to World No 1 to get a oft missed poster on here! Both events are especially welcome!

Ian wrote (see)

It would take an Ulsterman getting to World No 1 to get a oft missed poster on here! Both events are especially welcome!

Cheers Ian - how are you buddy?  Come over for a game, the greens are amazing for early March!  I'm moving house on Friday but give me a couple of weeks and I'll be back on the course.

Maybe Kate thinks H2H is still running and is tilting for a prize?

Cheers kate, working in Gloucester, living in Chepstow, not getting towards Oxford much at the mo.  But will scan the diary and we'll have to get a game sorted.  Portcawl is still on the drawing board!

Where do you play LGL?  I'm at Bangor, with Michael Bannon our club pro!