Tips for the Majors

87 posts / 0 new

I went for Phil Mickelson each way (it's a banker), Olazabal each way, and Goosen each way.

Just been looking at the US tour stats and come up with a name that might have a chance on the newly lengthened Masters course - Scott Verplank. He's top in driving accuracy and second in putting. Sounds like a good combination to me. Also Kenny Perry, my tip for the US PGA is second in all round driving (distance and accuracy) and third in greens in regulation. Remember, you read it here first!

Kenny Perry - HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just had 20/1 on Double D - I reckon that's a cert.

Adam, what did you call Phil Mickelson - he's a what? Oh - a banker!!

Thought you were right first time!

Five putt Phil has got no chance - the choker among all chokers - heart of a rabbit!

Kenny Perry - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - Agreed Alex.

My three for the Masters are:
Singh 22/1
Olazabal 20/1
Goosen 25/1

Veej will be a danger of he puts like he did in 2000.

Ollie should fare well, he is top of the Heat Index on GOlfweek.com - a terrific scrambler and can putt for fun if he so chooses.

Goosen - putting always his achilles heel - but he is the form player and one of the best ball strikers I have ever seen - a good bet at 25/1

Watch out for Cabrera too, he's long, fearless and got into contention last year at the first attempt - a good each way punt.

Go Sergio!

Duval Mart?

Cabrera's a good call though.

Hey Bob - Davis Love III is playing well - hope you had a punt

Bob, you sure about Kenny Perry? I'm still going to stick with Chris di Marco - although he's often good for two rounds and then fades badly.

Thanks for asking (and remembering), Alan re-Love. No I didn't have a bet, I'm too busy trying to wipe the self-satisfied smirk off my face. Did you notice Mr Verplank made a good start, too...oh and Kenny Perry (US PGA is not til August), Alex...Shut it!

Someone must have logged on to the site as me earlier on in this thread and said I rated David Toms for the Masters - hardly! And Monty for the USPGA? I don't think so.

I'm feeling pretty good this morning, after my three each-way bets of Goosen, Mickelson and Olazabal came in 2nd, 3rd and 4th! I'm up

Well done Adam , Duval missed the cut, so I am

The scoring overall yesterday was poor - but down to those Sunday pin positions I think.

No excuses from Vijay and Els though - amateurish mistakes.

Although it was an American win - yes I know Richard : o )

I thought overall that the Europeans gave a good account of themselves, very encouraging for the Ryder Cup. A
After all Tiger cannot play in every match.

According to my reckoning Bob - Hugh Jarce takes an early lead in the competition, correctly forecasting Tiger as the winner.

But have you seen his other forecasts----- snigger!!!

Huge does take the lead with his predictable prediction but fair play. Alex changed his pick from Woods to Els and went to bed when Els dunked it in 13, again fair play! Mel Stewart's call (Goosen) was a good one as was Rob Bain's and Adam's tips. Next stop Bethpage, New York, June 13. Go Shigeki! - Japan's first major winner! (You read it here first).

Got to revive this thread.
Check out your forecasts.

David Duval? ---- Hell even Faldo can do better.

And Van De Velde!

I'll stick to womens golf.

Grace Park for the Evian Masters - you heard it here first folks!!!!

Your brave Alan, with Sorenstam and Pak lurking so close to the top?

Grace Park is lovely, but not sure about her ability to control the nerves when the Swedish and Korean Machines are so close to perfection right now.

Still, it's better than watching the US Open, it's lovely here at Evian - hope your watching Sky Sports this afternoon.

All the best

Mart

Oh and go Faldo at Bethpage!!!

Faldo collapses famously again.

Tiger and Annika seem light years ahead of the rest.

Come on NF. He just needs a few birdies in his back nine and he'll still be in it... kinda.

OK - so a 66 in the third round shows willing.

Tiger Woods - two down, two to go. He's pretty good.

Reviving this thread to check your original forecasts.

Alex, are you cheating???????

As the nearest rival to Woods, I'll stick with Garcia. who's been a bit quiet lately (maybe a good sign) but the word on the street is that Els and Darren Clarke are gearing up and that some money is going on for Justin Rose and Michael Campbell.
Just had an inspired guess to add to my previous McCarron and Lonard...Craig Parry (150-1). I'm off to see Mr Coral.

That's not very gracious Alan.

It's just that on your original forecast I cannot recollect you having Woods and Woods for the first two majors - just an observation thing.

: o )

Erm Bob - you had a go at me for backing Rose for the Open at the start of the season... Now you're freely quoting him as one of the well-backed outsiders. I'm standing by him!!

Yes, well done Alex - you sure can pick 'em.

Thanks Alan. ;-)
Just need Garcia to win the USPGA and it'll be a clean sweep.
Pity I didn't have the courage of my convictions and put some money on it at the beginning of the year!

Hey respect, Alex for your March major nominations ( Woods, Woods, Els, Garcia). And Sergio could well be in the frame for the USPGA.
Did you notice how my tip for Hazeltine (Kenny Perry) was saving himself by withdrawing from Muirfield?
He called me to say ' Bob, wanted to save your blushes so I'll skip the Open. I hear it might be a bit damp for my old bones, so I'll stop back here in Kentucky, do some more work on restoring my old cars, and prepare myself for the US PGA in August.'

Pages