Tour Events In England

19 posts / 0 new
Tour Events In England

There used to be English Open at F of A, British Masters at the Belfry, Open every now and again, PGA @ Wentworth, World matchplay also @ Wentworth and poss even others. Now we only have the PGA and the odd Open. Why aren't there more?

Lack of sponsors presumably. For a while Scotland had nothing, now the Scottish Open and Scottish PGA.

pity though mate. used to like going to FoA or belfry to watch the pros at their best. Son and my cousin went to Celtic Manor last year but the field isn't always the best there. Oh for more events over here....

Always sponsors who dictate where the tour stops, but the thing that sways the sponsors mind is the audience.  The problem with UK tournaments is the weather.  Even in TV people would rather watch players in sunshine knocking pins out, rather than waiting for the camera man to wipe the rain off his lens....

I think you'll also find that the hosting course has to put up loads of money too - and provide all the infrastructure necessary - car parking - buses etc

Dick in Shorts(13.3) wrote (see)

I think you'll also find that the hosting course has to put up loads of money too - and provide all the infrastructure necessary - car parking - buses etc

Was talking to my cousin and he said it costs the course a lot of money, guess current climate is putting the big named courses (Belfry, FoA) off from hosting one. Big shame though...

Both Belfry and FoA are up for sale or will be soon. New owners might want an event there to raise the profile again.

Its a big shame really, there was an article about this problem not so long ago and the main problem was money. When you think about all th great courses we've got over here it's such a waste :/

By money I mean sponsors sorry.

Belfry is def up for sale, not sure about FoA

FoA in hands of the bank, guess they will sell.

If only i had a few spare quid.........................

Be nice to think it could happen in the near future.

bigeasy94 wrote (see)

Be nice to think it could happen in the near future.

what me havin a few spare quid......

It seems that only new courses want to stump up the money to hold a tour event - then they can sell their tee times andhotel rooms as a Tour course! Castle Stewart is the latest to do that - with the Scottish Open being there for 3 years. I expect it will move on after that - to the new Trump course probably - if he develops it The Belfry has been trading offof itsd Ryder Cup heritage for many years now - and i suppose the 'kudos' is now fading - as most of those who wanted to play it probably have!!

It is a real shame and I guess it is the lack of sponsors which seems incredible when you consider some of the lesser events on the Tour - wasn't there an event in Sardinia last year? I remember when the European Open was held alternatively between Sunningdale and Walton Heath in the 1980s, two lovely courses. Now of course they are deemed too short by the powers that be, don't see that really, Hilton Head and Riveria are still used on the USPGA Tour and both are quite short courses.  As for the Belfry and FoA, both overated courses in my opinion, but at least the latter did host the English Open. Don't think it exists anymore, not surprised as anything English appears to be stigmatised these days. 

Haha no an English tour event

Sorry can you translate that?

I was replying to tak