Wentworth next week

11 posts / 0 new
Wentworth next week

Never been to a PGA Tour event before.  Have booked all next week off and bought meself a handsome season ticket for the event.

So then, can anyone offer me any advice on good places to stand to see some good action?

Cheers

I went a few years ago on the Sunday and we did the folowing: Got there quite early - about 9 if I recall and having parked walked up to the 2nd or 3rd hole (par 3) and followed Monty and Woosnam for a few holes - missed out the short loop - 11 and 12 I think - and then followed one of the first groups to the 14th ( par 3) We got a seat in the back row of the stand - I don't think it's there anymore - now a sponsors tent - and watched all the groups through then walked in with the last group to the 18th

Back of the 2nd is a good place to start as you'll come near there from the car park.  I often then follow a game for a few holes.  The stand on the back of 14 is a BMW stand...so if you don't drive one, get a mate who does to lend you his spare key fob!  It'll also get you into the Owners Tent in the tented village...free coffee and soft drinks! If you follow a game of lesser names you'll see how they pick their way round the course.  And it'll give you an idea of where you want to go on the subsequent days. Get the starting list off the internet on Wednesdy night and see where the "top groups are"... they'll be a bunch morning and afternoon.  That way, if you follow one of you "lesser groups" you can get a good vantage point and sit tight for the big names to come through

Thanks DiS and Ian.  Good stuff there. Because I want to go up Wed, Thur and Fri I bought a season ticket - better value - but it's actually quite possible I might not be able to make the Saturday and/or Sunday so might be looking for a taker.  Watch this space!  But it would mean coming and finding me for said ticket in Bracknell.  A couple of bottles of beer in hand wouldn't hurt either. lol.  No promises (because I might find I can actually make all five days yet) but if anyone wants to PM me their availability I can contact you when I know what I'm doing. Cheers

thats a bit naughty

Ian wrote (see)

The stand on the back of 14 is a BMW stand...so if you don't drive one, get a mate who does to lend you his spare key fob!  It'll also get you into the Owners Tent in the tented village...free coffee and soft drinks!

It's already crossed my mind.  maybe I'll just have to arrange a test drive for next week.

Pro am day is much more relaxed - most of the pros are chatty and friendly as well as being quite relaxed about their golf

I like to go to the Driving Range first and watch the pros warm up. When else do you get to see top pros rifling shots at a range? Usually you get a bunch of muppets who hit the roof and generally annoy you. You can learn a lot about tempo and all the basics too from watching top pros on a range. Always nice to watch them on the putting green to watch how they warm up with little pitches plus a few putts. Then you can walk out to the first tee and follow a group of your choice. Usually you will find that you will have one group with like a halo player in it followed by another and then another. 2 years ago McIlroy was immediately followed by Westwood. Me and my pal followed McIlroy for the first few holes but he was playing rubbish so we dropped back and followed Westwood instead. I would avoid the Sunday. Far too busy. Watch it on telly instead.  

I drive a Beemer if you get me in on the Wednsday you can borrow my key for the free drinks in the owners lounge First year for a while I am unable to make it, well I am playing Golf next Friday, Saturday and Sunday, be rude to take anymore time on the golf course;) Dave, followed Rory myself when he was playing rubbish, moved on the Westy also. Enjoy the weekend, it's a fab day out.

Well, I had a great last few days up at Wentworth.  Quite hooked and will be going back next year. But, I got a season ticket because it's the cheapest way of going up there for 3 days, and will not be using it through the weekend.  Short notice for tomorrow (Saturday) I suppose but it's going begging in case there's anyone who wants to claim it.

For some close up action of the pro's without the crowds Walton Heath (US open qualifying) next Monday 28/5 .