Westie

16 posts / 0 new
Westie

...coz he's narrowly missed out (by 16 shots and counting) at Sawgrass.

Will he ever win a Major? Or just keeping racking up the cash in Far East tournies?

Must have missed the news when they announced there were now 5 Majors??

Decent field, tough track - and he was miles behind. Playing with a bunch of club pros in Asia - bag me another trophy. I've nothing against the bloke, but in the harsh light of day, I wouldn't put money on him to win a major - he's not better than the rest by a wide enough margin for relentless steady golf to get him over the line, in my opinion. There will almost always be someone who "isn't as good", who has a hot four days.

Bridgey (12.6 and getting worse) wrote (see)

I wouldn't put money on him to win a major - he's not better than the rest by a wide enough margin for relentless steady golf to get him over the line, in my opinion. There will almost always be someone who "isn't as good", who has a hot four days.

I see where you're coming from Bridgey but to be honest who'd have put money on Darren Clarke ever winning a major ? over the past decade (and even before that) there's been some 'ropey' major winners but as you've said yourself at the end of the passage 'if they have a hot 4 days' then anyone can win. Westwood (we're told) is streets ahead of the next man when it comes to FIR / GIR / etc  ..... at majors - somehow though he can't get over the line ?  - maybe he'll just stumble across it one day when the pressure is off and nobody is expecting it ?

That's my point - he's so relentlessly steady now, I don't think he has "hot" in him. Whereas the majority of his peers are nowhere near as steady, but can rip it up when the moon is right. I'd love to be proved wrong, though, and he's not forty yet.

I wouldn't slam the bloke for earning a living playing in the Far East. He's a professional golfer, he'll go where the money is, and while he's out there he's promoting the sport. Hagen, Hogan, Palmer and Nicklaus all did the same in their day.  At least he made the cut at Sawgrass unlike many other "Titans" of the modern game 

Paul L 11 wrote (see)

I wouldn't slam the bloke for eeking out a meagre living playing in the Far East. 

Fixed that for you

Ye get off his case. If there was to be a 5th Major then it should go to the Far East. By the coverage the US gave Sawgrass it was similar to a Major and you can see that's their plan, well its not and never will be................... Here's to Westwood winning his first Major in the Far East!

The Players seems diminished in recent years, it used to be that all of the top 50 in the OWGR played the event, now they can't even boast all of the top 10. It's a strong field, but not major strong - and Sawgrass is not special enough to be an Augusta and host a major every year. It is what it is - a flagship tour event.

As, I think, 13 of the last 14 majors have been won by first timers, statistically Westwood has a bit more of a chance than other Titans of the game. It appears as if anyone can and does win a Major. Maybe to make them truly special they need to be a different test, e.g. Tennis Grand Slams are best of 5 sets not 3, snooker world champs are decided over a greater number of frames. Perhaps 90 hole Majors will allow the cream to come to the top, which might eliminate the likes of Cink, Micheel, Johnson, Hamilton, Y.E.Yang, Cambell, Immelmann, Glover and, dare I say it, Clarke

I used to drive past an old deer park every now and then, it always had, somehow, a look of a golf course about it. You could imagine the holes sweeping along the valley. Strangely enough they have now built a course there now and, disappointingly, it is not much good at all; all in all I think I would prefer to have a better course in my mind than the wet, boring real thing.

Oops, somehow the above reply should be in the 'is it me' thread. Can't edit due to my use of an iPad. Sorry.

His record in Majors since 2008 suggests he has a better chance than most. And 21 wins on the European Tour suggests he knows how to get across the line against decent fields - 21 isn't a fluke. Will he win a Major? 3 steady rounds and 1 good one will probably see him do it. But will he?? I wouldn't put money on it.

Your last sentence says it all for me.

he needs to sort out his putting

As do most of us! If only it were that simple