Who's going to contend the majors this year?

26 posts / 0 new
Who's going to contend the majors this year?
Having enjoyed the golf this weekend (Ford at Doral & Dubai Desert Classic)I am licking my chops at the thought of the upcoming 1st Major of the year. Here's my question: forgetting the usual suspects: Mr Woods, Els, Mickleson, Singh, Goosen etc, I always love to have a punt on a few outsiders (33/1 & over). Who do you reckon have got 'outside' chances this year & Why?. My hot tips are as follows:Masters: Jiminez & Olazabal - both playing rather well & both have performed well at Augusta before.. (Managed to get 100/1 on Jiminez last night - sorry folks!)

My money was on Philster for the Masters now im not so sure.. Tigers defo got his confidence back with his driver so hel prob win 2 or more majors this year - Masters and The Open at least methinks.

Luke Donald and Peter Lonard for me.I would love to see Tiger sweep the board though, just to shut up all of the smarmy commentators that rejoiced when he had his supposed slump. If i had a pound for everytime Butch Harmon was mentioned alongside Tigers slump i would be sitting pretty.

Golf, I feel, has entered the era of 'The Big Four'.This season will be dominated by Woods, Mickelson, Els and Singh.The rest are not in this league.

wow why dont you go out on a limb and pick the best 4 players in the world, Biggy

Er?That's what I said Ace - thread question was - Who's going to contest the majors?Answer was 'The Big Four' - simple, logical response.Not everyone on the site is a muppet Ace: o )

Jiminez & Olazabal for Masters agreed !other possibles in your betting range are the 'next grade' down Americans .... Furyk , Toms , Di Marco and the likes

Have to agree with Al, the big four are going to dominate this year.I like to look for goof each way value in the majors, and I'll usually have a punt on an "outsider".Appleby will feature somewhere, possibly at Augusta.Charles Howell has made a good start to the season, he's another worth a punt.Luke Donald will also feature strongly in a couple of majors.

Little git stole my thread.

I've won a tidy sum, backing Olazabal at Augusta over the years, I think another trip to Corals could be on the cards.

Big Al, thanks for your response.. however, the question wasn't who is going to contest the majors, it was who do you reckon have got 'outside chances'... Bet you didn't do well at exams - 'always read the question before answering'Always used to have an e/w on Price, Frost & Calc for the Masters also, but think I may keep my cash in my pocket this year..

Masters - TigerUS Open - Retief GoosenOpen Championship - Paul CaseyPGA - Tiger

Mr Woods. Yes them all!

I'm in same boat as Mofo, the outsiders are where the sensible money goes, really fancy Jimmy (Jimenez) for a major as well, think Poulter got the self confidence that if he gets in the mix, could push anyone very close, would love to see one of the Ryder Cup team! Garcia/Westwood have got the game and not frightened of anyone! It's been far too long since Lawrie's epic victory in 1999.

Yes MoFo i failed History O-Level as i never read the question correctly.My contenders for the Majors are;Darren Clarke (once again)Luke DonaldColin MontgomerieJustin Rose

Surely all entrants are capable of contesting the majors. Remember Curtis and Lawrie????Obviously you have to think that the big 4 will be in contention every time.

Yep MoFo - crap at exams but made money without speculating and gambling on no hopers.I said 'dominate' and 'the rest aren't in this league' - so why punt?

My each-way bets for the Masters this year will be Cabrera, Olazabal and Langer. All are available at around 20-1 for a top 5 finish on Betfair.com and it's usually the same faces that do well at Augusta.

Langer normally does well at Augusta, so he would be a good bet.

I have

Damn & blast Mick - you study the game well..Agree with you on Langer, Alex. He's on good form (as usual) & never seems to wane. If he were in contention coming down the stretch do you think his putting & bottle would hold up, seeing as he hasn't won in donkeys? . Will probably have an e/w punt on him

Haven't seen enough of Cabrera yet to feel secure about him, but he has played well at Augusta before. He did okay at Doral considering how recently he has de-hibernated, but he withdrew fromt he Honda for reasons as yet unknown.But I like the Latin picks as outsiders -- Cabrera, JMO and Jim

mofo, was going to do jiminez in all4 majors as a e/w yankee but its hard to find a bookmakers who will take the bet as just for

nice thread you guys , some good reading in this part of the forum tour golf is good to talk with.masters tournament is a favourite with you guys then? , most times won by a player of standing but that left hand hoser weir won the other year but hes cool and is an ok guy.you think jiminez has the game? ,

Jiminez is a sound all-rounder. I read an interview with him in one of my mags & he reckons he's got a new attitude to the game - to take the rought with the smooth & accept that he will play bad holes / rounds here & there.I'm not a massive fan of his, its just that yes he has got good previous form at Augusta and he's won twice on the European tour already this year and is carrying on his good from from the 2004 season. With odds of 100/1 being offered at some bookies, he is surely great value for a bet.

How about for this year guys, any update still though? https://imagicon.info/cat/10-3/1.gif