Dustin to take leave of absence

Johnson drops bombshell during WGC-Bridgestone

Andy Roberts's picture
Thu, 31 Jul 2014

DUSTIN JOHNSON has confirmed he's taking a leave of absence from golf to seek help for what he said were "personal challenges."

Johnson’s statement, published during the first round of the WGC-Bridgestone from which he had earlier withdrawn from on Thursday, read: "I am taking a leave of absence from professional golf, effective immediately.

"I will use this time to seek professional help for personal challenges I have faced. By committing the time and resources necessary to improve my mental health, physical well-being and emotional foundation, I am confident that I will be better equipped to fulfil my potential and become a consistent champion. I respectfully ask for privacy as I embark upon this mission of self-improvement.’

While the statement he released through his management company offered no details, Johnson will not be at the PGA Championship next week and could potentially miss the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles in September.

The 30-year-old Johnson is currently fourth in the FedEx Cup and fifth in the Ryder Cup standings and would appear to have locked up one of the nine spots. If he doesn't play, that means the player at No.10 would earn a place on the US team.

Johnson says by commiting time and resources to improve his life, he will be better equipped to fulfil his potential.

 

Comments

Loading Comments...