Patrick Reed went into Sunday's final round with a one shot lead over Mexico's Abraham Ancer, but there was a host of talent close behind, including Jon Rahm and Rory McIlroy, but Reed continued his fine form for the week to get over the line and win The Northern Trust at Liberty National.
Reed and Ancer were neck and neck for the final round on Sunday and both shot a two-under-par score of 69, leaving Reed 16 under for the tournament, one better than his playing partner Ancer.
Harold Varner III and Jon Rahm shared third place at 14 under par, while Rory McIlroy finished four shots behind Reed in T6, alongside Jordan Spieth, Louis Oosthuizen and Brandt Snedeker.
Adam Scott shot the best score of the day, a six-under-par 65, climbing the leaderboard to finish in solo fifth place at 13 under par.
Reed's lead soon disappeared early into the final round, with back-to-back bogeys on the second and third holes, allowing Rahm to capitalise with three birdies on his front nine to take him to the top of the leaderboard.
Three birdies and three bogeys on Reed's front nine put the American back on track, before he birdied the 14th and saved a crucial par at 15 where he had missed the green.
Reed rolled it in for birdie on the 16th to take the lead and then tapped it in from three foot for par on 18 to confirm his victory, his first in over a year.
"It's been a while," said Reed. "It's been a little too long, honestly."
The win for Reed moved him into second place in the FedEx Cup standings, behind Brooks Koepka.
Patrick Reed - What's in the bag?
- PING G400 Driver | 9° | Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI shaft 70TX shaft
- TaylorMade M6 3 Wood | 15° | Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI shaft 70TX shaft
- Callaway X-Forged 13 4 Iron | True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shaft
- Callaway MB1 5 Iron | True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shaft)
- Callaway RAZR X MB Irons (6-PW) | True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts
- Artisan Golf Wedge | 51° | True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft
- Titleist Vokey Design SM7 Wedges | 56° and 60° | True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts
- Odyssey White Hot RX 2 Putter
- Titleist Pro V1 Ball