Callaway Big Bertha iron review

Callaway claims 'two clubs longer' with the new game improvement Big Bertha iron, but how long is it really?

Andy Roberts's picture
Fri, 31 Oct 2014

IF you're in the market for a brand new game improvement iron that is packed with monstrous distance and an abundance of forgiveness, look no further than the Callaway Big Bertha iron.

It might not be the sexiest iron to ever fly out of Callaway Towers but it's certainly the longest I've ever tested before. Although the brand claims you can get up to 'two clubs longer' with the Big Bertha iron, I'd say I was more 'one and half clubs longer'.

Higher ball speed (approximately 3mph in my case with the 6-iron) is achieved across the entire face, perfect for shots struck off-centre, thanks to the same 360 Face Cup technology found in the recent line of successful X2 Hot hybrids and fairway woods.

Of the 6-iron I was testing, for example, my carry was reaching just over 180 yards which is unheard of in my yardage book. Okay, the loft has been jacked a little to 26-degree (my current 6-iron is 30-degree), but the ball flight was still coming out as I'd expect for a 6-iron. So you've got a beautiful, penetrating launch with at least an extra club's distance.

Combined with an Internal Standing Wave that sits low and forward for high MOI characteristics, this is without doubt the hottest and most forgiving iron Callaway has ever produced. Shots for the majority of my 18 holes at Hersham Golf Club in Surrey were blasting fast off the clubface, launching on an ideal mid-high trajectory, landing soft on the green and thankfully landing straight down the pin. I'm not sure I've tested a more accurate 9-iron before, I know that. Time and time again with the short irons, I was kissing the top of the flag.

In terms of appearance, these irons are chunky looking and have a relatively thick topline but there's no question the lovely darkened finish to the irons makes them look a lot smaller than they actually are down at address. The sole designs are wider in the long irons to provide confidence, while narrower in the shorter irons because we all know we can hit them easily... don't we?! The darker finish to the irons really does look superb.

Sound isn't always a key factor with an iron but with this particular club it is. That's because the noise is so crisp, energetic and higher pitched than normal. The only problem I have with that is feedback on off-centre hits. Some of you will like the sound, some of you won't, but I quite enjoyed it as I sensed the powerful 360 Face Cup technology working its magic at impact.

When it comes to the standard shaft offerings, steel fans are treated to a well balanced and easy to control True Temper SpeedStep 80 shaft, while graphite fans receive a decent UST Recoil shaft. If those shafts don't take your fancy, however, Callaway has made sure several other shafts are available at no upcharge including True Temper XP95 and KBS Tour-V and Tour V-90.

Not the cheapest at £699 in steel and £899 in graphite, but if you can stomach the price tag - which let's face it, is about right for a premium game improvement iron in 2014/15 - you're onto a winner.

Verdict

This is certainly the longest game improvement iron I've tested in my three and half years at Golfmagic and I'd encourage anyone looking to upgrade their irons this season to look very closely at the Callaway Big Bertha irons. Well worth telling Santa about.

Click here for Callaway Big Bertha iron owner reviews