We test the best game improvement irons designed to help you get better

Nike VR_S Covert

Brand: Nike
Game improvement iron: VR_S Covert
RRP: £450 Best price: £299
Loft: 27-degree Lie: 61.5-degree
Length: 38” Swing Weight: D1-D3
Shaft: True Temper Dynalite 90 Grip: Nike Golf

Summary: The 3- through 7-irons are cast from a high-strength, 450-Carpenter steel to maximise ball speed for added distance. The short irons, 8-iron through wedge, are made from 1704 stainless steel for a slightly softer feel. A blunt leading edge allows the Nike VR_S Covert iron to pass through the turf without digging. The club appears sleeker than the VR_S due to a 16% narrower sole.

Appearance: As the new name implies, it's what you don't see when you stand above the Nike VR_S Covert irons that matters most. Nike VR_S Covert might be labelled a maximum game improvement iron with perimeter weighting, yet it didn't seem like it when placing clubhead behind ball. To us, this iron verges much more between game improvement and better player categories. On first inspection, plenty of weight has been chopped out the face, which makes it feel and look thinner. By doing this, Nike designers have weighted sections in the heel and toe, and this really helps increase those levels of forgiveness. The cavity back’s high-tech qualities are well-disguised at address, which is definitely a plus, as too the thinner topline and minimal offset. We also like how a black polymer badge has been used to partially fill in the centre cavity between the heel and toe, despite the fact there is still plenty of open space. We can imagine over time, debris might start to build up in there though. 4.5

Feel: Lively face gets the ball up quickly, with plenty of giddy-up. Every shot feels well-struck. Charlie and I don't usually disagree on too many things in these club tests but we did here. One slight negative, for Charlie at least, was that he felt the head was much too heavy. I, on the other hand, didn't have a problem with that. I feel heavier weight in the clubhead only aids better control through impact. Personal preferences and all that. Maybe it's a Nike thing. He's Arsenal. I'm United. 8

Performance: I was impressed with Nike's NexCor face design and thin, no-weld sole that delivers consistently higher-than-average ball speeds. Ball flight is, as expected, on the higher side of things with a slight right-to-left bias but the sizable face certainly covers up any directional misses. Thinned shots tended to travel better than expected, and as we mentioned before, hitting it fat is impossible. Distance wise, these irons are consistently longer than many game improvement sticks we've tested this year, while centre hits felt forged-like. Lots of covert helps keep shots tracking online without much dispersion, and it's definitely one of the straightest irons in this category. 9

Andy

Carry

Spin rate

Launch angle

Nike

Charlie

Carry

Spin rate

Launch angle

Nike

Verdict: Nike VR_S Covert irons might solely be designed for the game improver but I certainly would have no problem putting these longer irons in the bag. Overall, I received clean, crisp, straight, high strikes and added distance. Good value for money, too, particularly now they've been out for sometime. 21.5

Next up, PING G25

Sponsored Posts