Rory McIlroy makes his first competitive start of the year at this week's Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship on the European Tour and the Northern Irishman will be armed with a few new clubs in his bag.
A stellar field will be competing at the Abu Dhabi Golf Club, with world No.3 Justin Thomas switching to the European Tour for this week's event, where Lee Westwood will be defending his title.
McIlroy is currently the joint favourite with the bookmakers alongside Thomas and the 31-year-old will use a new driver, 3-wood and 5-wood, following the launch of the new SIM2 range.
SIM2: Traditional driver designs come with a trade-off, but TaylorMade journeyed beyond tradition to obtain power, speed, and forgiveness in a low spin driver. The reconstructed SIM2 delivers high MOI properties with a heavy 16g steel weight positioned on the Inertia Generator. The TPS Front Weight is strategically located behind the face to encourage optimal launch with low spin characteristics, delivering complete performance that is low on spin and high on forgiveness.
Rory McIlroy - What's in the bag 2021
- Driver: TaylorMade SIM2 | 10.5 degrees | Ventus Black 6 X shaft
- 3-Wood: TaylorMade SIM2 | 15.0 degrees | Tensei White 80 X shaft
- 5-Wood: TaylorMade SIM2 | 19 degrees| Tensei White 90 X shaft
- Irons: TaylorMade P7MB | 3-PW | Project X 7.0 shaft (PW has 6.5 shaft)
- Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 | 52, 56 & 60 | Project X 6.5 shaft
- Putter: TaylorMade Spider X
- Ball: New TaylorMade TP5 & TP5X versions that the athletes are testing