Carlos Ortiz has revealed how LIV Golf players were told they would "definitely" get Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) points when he first joined the Saudi-backed circuit from the start in 2022.
Ortiz, 32, vented his frustration at still having been left in the dark where OWGR points are concerned on the LIV Golf League in 2024, while appearing on this week's episode of the GOLF Subpar podcast with former PGA Tour pro Colt Knost and his co-host Drew Stoltz.
LIV Golf submitted its formal application to receive OWGR points and after a period of 18 months it was eventually determined by the OWGR they would be refused eligibility.
The main reason for the decision, which was confirmed by OWGR chairman Peter Dawson last October, was a lack of player pathways in and out of the LIV Golf League, as well the same fields every week.
Ortiz told GOLF Subpar this week:
WATCH ORTIZ'S COMMENTS HERE
Should LIV players be getting OWGR points for their events?— Subpar (@golf_subpar) February 6, 2024
Carlos Ortiz joined @ColtKnost and @thesleezyman for this week's episode to talk about everything LIV as their season gets started.
Full episode: https://t.co/goT1LHzfCm pic.twitter.com/pL1C14Uqor
Ortiz has yet to win on the LIV Golf League but he came closest last season when being defeated in a three-man playoff by eventual winner Danny Lee at LIV Golf Tucson.
Ortiz won his sole PGA Tour title at the 2020 Houston Open.
Niemann got his season off to a flyer as he defeated his former mentor Garcia in a playoff at LIV Golf Mayakoba last week.
Torque GC finished third in the team event, but Ortiz finished a disappointing T43 on 4-over par in the individual tournament.
Ortiz will be looking to bounce back at this week's LIV Golf Las Vegas, which tees off later today and concludes on Saturday as a result of the Super Bowl also taking place in Vegas on Sunday night.