Cleveland Golf has today unveiled its new range of 588 RTX 2.0 wedges for 2014, building on the success of the original 588 RTX first released in 2013 that has seen the brand achieve record growth in the UK.
The company's 588 RTX wedge literally changed the face of spin on its release and the new 588 RTX 2.0 range, which Golfmagic saw up close and personal at The Grove this morning, is sure to enhance Cleveland Golf’s reputation as a leader in wedge technology in golf.
588 RTX wedges saw Cleveland Golf grow its market share in the UK wedge sector from 9% to 29% from when it launched back in March 2013 through to July 2014*
This was off the back of a hugely successful wedge trade in promotion that saw over 35,000 wedges traded in over the course of the 2013 and 2014 seasons.
Now Cleveland Golf has evolved the 588 RTX to form 588 RTX 2.0 through a number of enhanced technological features and by offering golfers even more versatility of choice. This has all been achieved through hundreds of hours of testing and feedback generated by the world’s top players.
From that research 3 distinct wedge grinds have been developed in two different head designs that are proven to optimise the short game for players of all abilities.
For the improving wedge player, a more forgiving cavity back design, and for the better player, a traditional muscle-back head shape.
Rotex 2.0 Face technology
The Rotex face has been enhanced further to offer the maximum surface roughness allowed by USGA. This has been achieved through 3 advancements in the R&D lab.
- Fourth generation Tour Zip grooves combine 15% sharper grooves and a deeper micro milling to provide superior spin on all shots from the rough.
- Advanced, 2-pass micro milling pattern provides a strategically designed roughness close to the USGA limit. This leads to increased friction and more spin, especially from inconsistent lies.
- Finally, laser milling fine-tunes the micro-roughness for more consistency and texture across the face.
Cleveland Golf has created three distinct grind options for the 588 RTX 2.0 wedge family. This comprehensive system makes it easier than ever for any golfer to build a wedge set that maximises performance based on turf conditions, playing preference and skill level.
By progressively varying the wedge’s sole design according to bounce, Cleveland Golf has created an unmatched array of scoring tools.
1 DOT (LOW BOUNCE)
• Trailing Edge Grind + maximum heel and toe grind
• Lowest effective bounce
• Keeps leading edge close to ground for aggressive lob shots, yet provides stability on square-faced full shots
2 DOT (STANDARD BOUNCE)
• Trailing Edge Grind + moderate trailing relief
• Mid effective bounce
• All-around playability and versatility, allowing golfer to execute a variety of shots from most playing conditions
3 DOT (FULL SOLE)
• Constant Sole Width
• Higher effective bounce
• Allows the golfer to use the sole to their advantage around the greens. Full shape gives stability on full shots, however the curvature in the sole still allows player to open the face.
For more information on Cleveland Golf 588 RTX 2.0 wedges and to view the full range of bounce, grind and loft options, please visit www.clevelandgolf.com from September 22nd to find out more.
Click through the images below for a closer look
*Source Datatech Retail Audit – 2013-14