Donald Trump's Bedminster course STRIPPED of hosting 2022 PGA Championship

While the R&A confirms Trump Turnberry will not be considered for The Open anytime soon...

Jack Seddon's picture
Mon, 11 Jan 2021

The PGA of America Board of Directors have voted to terminate the agreement to hold the 2022 PGA Championship at the Trump National course in Bedminster, following the attack on the US Capitol by Donald Trump's supporters, while the R&A has confirmed Trump Turnberry will not host an Open Championship until until they are "convinced that the focus will be on the championship."

PGA of America president Jim Richerson did not highlight the recent events in Washington as the reason for the terminated deal, but said hosting one of golf's four majors at Trump National would damage the PGA's brand.

Richerson said: "It has become clear that conducting the PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster would be detrimental to the PGA of America brand, it would put at risk the PGA's ability to deliver our many programmes and sustain the longevity of our mission.

"Our board has thus made the decision to exercise our right to terminate the contract to hold the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster."

The news has not gone down well with the Trump Organisation, who are "incredibly disappointed" with the decision and believe the PGA has "no right" to terminate the deal.

"We have had a beautiful partnership with the PGA of America and are incredibly disappointed with their decision.

"This is a breach of a binding contract and they have no right to terminate the agreement.

"As an organization we have invested many, many millions of dollars in the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump National Golf Club, Bedminster."

This is not the first time that a PGA event has been moved away from a Trump course. In 2015, the Grand Slam of Golf was scheduled to be held at Trump National in Los Angeles, but it was cancelled after Trump - who at the time was a presidential candidate - made controversial comments about Mexigan immigrants.

Off the back of that news, the R&A was quick to confirm that Trump Turnberry will still not be considered to host The Open anytime soon.

The Ayrshire venue has not been selected to stage the Open Championship since it was purchased by Trump in 2014, with host venues already chosen up to 2024.

"We had no plans to stage any of our championships at Turnberry and will not do so in the foreseeable future," said the R&A's Martin Slumbers.

"We will not return until we are convinced that the focus will be on the championship, the players and the course itself and we do not believe that is achievable in the current circumstances."

Last week, Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned Trump that travelling to Scotland to play golf would not be deemed as essential travel, after an airport close to his Turnberry course was told to expect a military aircraft later this month.

NEXT PAGE: Justin Thomas says golf wasn't the main thing on his mind on Sunday

 

Comments

Loading Comments...