Rory McIlroy confirms return to PGA Tour event after controversial absence in 2025

Rory McIlroy says he plans to return to action when the PGA Tour heads to Murfield Village in a few weeks' time.

Rory McIlroy
Rory McIlroy

Rory McIlroy has revealed he plans to take another three-week break from the sport after finishing five strokes adrift of Aaron Rai at the PGA Championship

McIlroy, 37, kept alive his hopes of winning all four men's majors in 2026 and began Sunday's final round three strokes adrift of surprise leader Alex Smalley. 

But the Masters champion endured a frustrating day at Aronimink Golf Club in Pennsylvania, failing to take advantage on the par-fives. 

Any hopes McIlroy had of lifting the Wanamaker Trophy were extinguished after he dropped a shot at the driveable par-four 13th. 

In the end, he carded a one-under 69 to finish in a share of seventh alongside LIV Golf recruit Cameron Smith and two-time major winner Xander Schauffele. 

"I'm going to take a couple of weeks off," McIlroy, whose final round also included an angry exchange with a heckler, told reporters. 

"And then [the] Memorial will be my next one."

Rory McIlroy has confirmed his next start will be the Memorial
Rory McIlroy has confirmed his next start will be the Memorial

McIlroy was referring the tournament hosted by 18-time major champion Jack Nicklaus at Muirfield Village in Ohio. 

The Northern Irishman was a notable absentee from the $20m signature event 12 months ago. It was the first time he had skipped the event since 2017. 

He also drew criticism after Nicklaus revealed McIlroy didn't even inform him of his absence. 

Not wanting to make a big deal out of it, Nicklaus said at the time: "I really don't know why Rory didn't talk to me. 

"I can't answer that question. There's nothing I can answer. I know he has to make a schedule that works for him and what he has to do. And I understand, because I had to do the same thing.

"We just weren't included this year."

Jack Nicklaus admitted he was surprised by Rory McIlroy's decision 12 months ago
Jack Nicklaus admitted he was surprised by Rory McIlroy's decision 12 months ago

Asked it would have been protocol for McIlroy to call him, Nicklaus said: "I am not throwing Rory under the bus. 

"I like Rory too much. He's a good kid. He's played some great golf. He's had a lot of things that have happened to him. 

"He's got to make his own call on things. Could he have done them differently? Probably. But that's all right. I could probably have done some of mine differently, too.

"I'm not complaining about Rory."

Nicklaus admitted that during his career he too had probably done the same. 

"But sometimes you have to make those calls," he said. "I don't hold anything against Rory for that.

"I'm a big Rory fan. I always have been. I'm sure that I will remain that way," he said. "I just ... I was a little surprised, yes."

Rory McIlroy reveals reason for skipping signature events

Loading this video will expose you to potential cookies and tracking by the provider

Earlier in the month, Rory McIlroy revealed that his decision to skip some of the biggest events on the PGA Tour's schedule was set to become the norm. 

McIlroy skipped back-to-back signature events in March. 

It was a decision that, once again, attracted criticism as he had lobbied for the creation of the bumper prize purse events with limited fields in response to LIV Golf

But he told SiriusXM PGA Tour radio that he's only going to play in the tournaments he wants to going forward.

"That's what Tiger used to do, he picked and chose what events he wanted to play where he felt like he had the best cadence to his schedule, and where he had the best chance to win. I think what Scottie and I are doing at the minute is no different," continued McIlroy.

Loading this video will expose you to potential cookies and tracking by the provider

"But the thing is to me what we've realized over the past four or five years is the value in professional golf lies more with the platform rather than any individual player, because we are all replacable.

"We all come and go, we all pass through the system, but the thing that remains is the platform of the PGA Tour, and that's the valuable thing, so my argument is it would be great to get everyone playing every single week, but I just don't think that's possible. 

"But the value is the platform, and if we can put across the best possible product that we can, even if that means sometimes guys missing out on events here and there then I think that's the best way forward."

In This Article

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get the latest golf news, equipment reviews and promotions direct to your inbox!