Yonex Ezone Forged MB

On test: 10 of the latest irons for the better player. Results were close but one club emerges as winner

Andy Roberts's picture
Andy Roberts
Wed, 25 Sep 2013
Yonex Ezone Forged MB

Brand: Yonex
Player iron: Ezone Forged MB
RRP: £1285 Best price: N/A
Loft: 31-degree Lie: 61-degree Length: 37.25”
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 Grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet

Summary: This muscle back forged iron is designed for the competitive player looking for consistent spin performance, increased feel and improved accuracy. The short irons have a lower centre of gravity and more weight toward the heel for consistent spin performance. Conversely, the centre of gravity in the long irons is positioned higher with added weight toward the toe for greater accuracy and control.

Appearance: This blade presented me with a very simple and sleek no frills design in a brushed chrome finish and Yonex branding on the back. I thought this iron had a slightly square toe at address but it was by no means off-putting. 9

Feel: Very soft feeling iron with a soft, crisp, solid sound at impact. I did not sense much feeling of the clubhead through the swing though. Feedback was decent, as expected from a blade. I also felt like there was a nice mass behind the sweetspot to help me get the ball airborne. The Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip felt particularly comfortable. 9

Performance: Extremely workable blade that provides decent feel and consistent performance. While not the most forgiving iron out there, there appeared to be enough on offer given I hit plenty of balls down my intended target line. 9

Verdict: Lovely penetrating ball flight and a unique muscle back shape that apparently suited my ball striking. Incredibly expensive but you get what you pay for with this blade. It’s also soft feeling, great to look at and provides an abundance of forgiveness all in a players body. 27

Pro Verdict: This club is a very sexy looking blade with no cavity to speak of. It’s funky and old school. I don’t feel too much of the clubhead during the swing but what I do like about this iron is that it encourages me to get my hands forward - something I like to encourage golfers when I’m teaching. The pointed top is also innovative and ball striking felt great. I am very much a feel player and so blades this like really help.

Click here to see the final scores...