Adams Idea CMB

On test: 10 of the latest irons for the better player. Results were close but one club emerges as winner

Andy Roberts's picture
Andy Roberts
Wed, 25 Sep 2013
Adams Idea CMB

Brand: Adams
Player iron: Idea CMB
RRP: £662 Best price: £662
Loft: 30-degree Lie: 61.75-degree Length: 37.5”
Shaft: KBS Tour C-Taper Matrix Ozik 8.1 Grip: Golf Pride New Decade White Out

Summary: The Adams Idea CMB comprises forged 1025 carbon steel body for exceptional feel and unique tungsten weight inserts strategically placed low in the toe position the centre of gravity in the centre of the scorelines. The nickel-chrome satin finish also gives the irons a better player look and a 3-way cambered sole improves turf interaction.

Appearance: The traditional, thin topline and minimal offset of the CMB is particularly sleek and the high-tech touches are both subtle and hidden. Very good looking bat and the clubhead is not too shiny. The clubface also frames the ball nicely. You just feel like you’re going to hit a good one when standing over the ball. 9 (out of 10)

Feel: Feel is of course a preference but an important one when determining whether to purchase a club. The CMB glides through impact and is incredibly stable at the bottom of the swing. I enjoyed a solid, yet springy feel at impact as the ball flew off the face. The KBS Tour shaft also helped me to keep the ball down. 8.5

Performance: By no means the longest iron out there but easy to hit and forgiving in the sense off-centre hits were going down my intended target line. I was also able to shape shots easily. 8

Verdict: A true player’s iron that provides a sweet, solid feel at impact. I like the versatile sole grind as it helped me produce a solid strike. While I like the fact there is minimal offset on offer, I am not sure the blunt leading edge will suit shallow swingers of the ball. 25.5 (out of 30)

Pro Verdict: The Adams Idea CMB has a neat shallow cavity, impressive finish and it’s orthodox in the sense it looks like a blade. It probably sits a little too flat for my liking, however. When hitting this iron, I feel like I am forced to put my hands lower and change my swing a tad. Ball flight was a little lower than ideal for a 6-iron.

Click here to continue reading