Titleist have unveiled their 718 iron line-up, comprised of six new models for 2017, including an all-new AP3 iron.
Titleist have been the number one iron on Tour since 2005, with the AP2 model being the most popular style.
“Golfers trust Titleist to design and manufacture the premier irons in the game and not make any sacrifices. Our R&D team is relentless when it comes to improving iron performance and engineering new technologies into head profiles that look, sound and feel great," said Josh Talge, VP of marketing at Titleist.
"The invention of AP3, which combines the distance and forgiveness of our best-selling, game-improvement AP1 iron with the look and feel of our tour-favourite AP2, is a significant advancement that will help a wide range of golfers, and further illustrates why more of the world’s best players have Titleist irons in their bags.”
TITLEIST INTERVIEW: 'BREAKTHROUGH' 2017 PRO V1/X, COMPETITION, WHY THEIR BALLS ARE FOR ALL PLAYERS
Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas both gamed clubs from the 718 range en route to major wins in 2017.
Available: 29 September
REVIEW: TITLEIST 917 D2 AND D3 DRIVER
T-MB - £230 per club steel, £255 graphite
“T-MB is an absolute workhorse that launches high and just keeps going,” Talge said. “Players can’t believe the performance they get out of a club that from address looks like a classic muscle back.”
Has grown into a full set of irons, designed to offer distance in a technical, muscle-back shape. Initially designed to be a high-launching, player’s long iron, the hollow-body, multi-material design offers both high launch and forgiveness.
- Advanced hollow-back construction with thin, unsupported L-Face insert allows the face to flex more at impact, increasing launch and speed for more distance.
- The most high-density tungsten in the Titleist 718 lineup – with an average of 93.9 grams precisely placed in the heel and toe – optimises launch and spin to produce higher shots that go far and land soft.
- High-MOI design increases off-centre ball speed for forgiveness while delivering stability and tour-validated feel. Improved leading edge pre-wear creates more efficient turf interaction for more consistent contact.
- Available irons: 2-P, 50o
AP3 - £150 per club steel, £175 graphite
“AP3 truly represents the best of both worlds,” Talge said. “We’re giving youthe distance and forgiveness of a game improvement iron packed into the look and feel of a player’s iron.”
“A player’s distance iron,” say Titleist. Has a hollow blade design with high speed face technology. Blends everything learnt from AP1 and AP2 - hence the name. The brand say this is the longest, fastest, Titleist player’s iron ever.
- Rounded mid-mallet with wrap-around face-sole technology and solid stainless steel flange.
- Hollow-blade construction combined with a thin, unsupported L-Face insert launches long and high with shot-stopping spin – even on longershots.
- High-MOI design – with an average of 84.9 grams of tungsten per head, placed low and in the toe of the long and mid irons – produces higher ball speeds across the face, providing the off-centre distance performance of a game improvement iron.
- New, preferred player’s shape appeals to golfers needing distance and forgiveness while maintaining control and solid feel.
- Available irons: 3-P, 48o
AP1 - £115 per club steel, £140 graphite
Made for maximum distance and forgiveness. Classic looks and feel with advanced technology making an iron that is easy to hit, get in the air and stop on the green.
“Titleist has an iron for every dedicated golfer, and that starts with 718 AP1,” Talge said. “There’s no better option in the game improvement iron category.”
- New progressive construction from hollow-body long irons to undercut cavity mid and short irons provides the best combination of distance and trajectory for each individually-designed iron.
- Thin, fast, unsupported face inserts generate explosive ball speed for more distance. Hollow-body long irons, inspired by R&D’s development of the Titleist Concept C16 iron models, maximize carry distance on longer shots into the green.
- High-density tungsten weighting produces a lower CG for higher launch with shot-stopping control. The high-MOI design – with an average of 58.5 grams of tungsten per head, placed low and in the toe of the long and mid irons – produces higher ball speeds across the face for more consistent distance on off-centre hits.
- Premium game improvement profile delivers the look, sound and feel that players expect from a Titleist iron. Improved leading edge pre-wear creates more efficient turf interaction for more consistent contact.
- Available irons: 4-P, 48o, 53o
MB - £150 per club steel, £175 graphite
Classic muscle back iron, designed for the modern player that requires shot control and traditional forged look.
Advanced muscle-back design delivers tour-proven flight with maximum shot and trajectory control. Strategically designed CG locations deliver superior shot-making and responsive feedback.
- High muscle-back weighting, optimally positioned behind the sweet spot, provides pure, forged feel on every shot. Each MB iron is forged from a single billet of carbon steel for the purist look, sound and feel.
- Available irons: 3-PW
CB - £150 per club steel, £175 graphite
Sleek, cavity back profile, offering precision and more forgiveness than the MB thanks to blade construction.
Classic but modern cavity back packed with high-density tungsten – an average of 74.8 grams precisely placed in the heel and toe in the long and mid irons – creates higher ball speeds across the face for more consistent distance on off-centre hits. New tungsten caps co-forged into the perimeter further increase MOI for maximum forgiveness without the loss of workability or shot control at the CB’s constant, tour-preferred blade length.
- Optimised CG heights, low with a slight progression up through the set, deliver precise, tour-proven trajectory, while increasing the sweet spot for solid feel.
• Available irons: 2-PW
AP2 - £150 per club steel, £175 graphite
Most popular iron on Tour gets an upgrade. Co-forged, cavity back design provides playability, consistency and forgiveness in a Tour-validated profile, offering a forged feel.
“AP2 is the most popular tour iron globally because it combines the look and feel tour players demand with the precise distance control they need to consistently hit their target, shot after shot,” Talge said. “For everyone else, it’s the tour iron within reach, because it is so forgiving.”
A thinner forged body and face insert constructed of high-strength spring steel increases launch and ball speed for more distance. An improved CG progression, with a lower and more centred CG in the long irons, improves speed performance on off-centre hits for precise distance control on every swing.
• Forgiveness and stability are delivered through precise perimeter weighting and a unique co-forged construction pioneered by Titleist R&D, with an average of 57.4 grams of high-density tungsten placed in the heel and toe of the long and mid irons. New high-density tungsten caps co-forged into the perimeter further increase MOI for maximum forgiveness at the AP2’s constant, tour-preferred blade length.
• Tour-preferred profile offers proven look, sound and pure forged feel with a refined leading edge for more efficient turf interaction and consistent contact.
• Available irons: 3-P, 50o
Shafts: AMT Red (AP1), AMT Black (AP3), AMT White (AP2), Mitsubishi MRC Tensei Red (AP1), Steel Project X LZ (T-MB and CB), Project X (MB).
Various number of custom shaft options also available.
Free Fittings: From the middle of September golfers can experience the performance of Titleist 718 irons by attending a Titleist Fitting Event (including Titleist Thursdays), being held at hundreds of locations across the UK & Ireland. To find an event, golfers can visit www.Titleist.co.uk/718.