The real reason why Patrick Reed won the Masters... contact lenses!

Patrick Reed: "My wife dragged me to Vision Source."

Andy Roberts's picture
Thu, 3 May 2018

Patrick Reed has revealed how he wore contact lenses for the very first time during the week he landed his maiden major at the Masters.

Reed, who tees it up alongside Tiger Woods and Brooks Koepka for the opening two rounds at the Wells Fargo Championship this week, explained how his eyesight was better than ever at Augusta National - and it showed as he led the field for the week with an average of 1.44 putts per green. 

"Honestly, (my putting) has to be credit to not only the work that we put in the week before but also the work my wife had to drag me to Vision Source to get my eyes checked," said Reed, who pipped Rickie Fowler by one stroke to the season's first major. "First week ever wearing contacts that week and I go ahead and make every putt I look at and win a golf tournament."


Reed elaborated that his wife noticed he was struggling to read the TV menu, an observation that provoked a blunt response from his father-in-law, who said: "Maybe that's the reason why we haven't been making putts for a year."

The Masters champion continued: "We went to the eye doctor and next thing you know, I could see up close, but I can't see anything past about 30, 40 yards," Reed said. "Everything's really blurry. So I got a prescription for contacts, put them in and all of a sudden I'm just looking out like, wow, I can see everything.

"Now all of a sudden I can read greens pretty well and it worked at Augusta."

The real reason why Patrick Reed won the Masters... contact lenses!

Reed also acknowledged that anything past 40 yards was blurry, and he often had to rely on his caddie to discover where his ball had gone.

He does admit it's a bit of a faff, though.

"It would take me 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get them in. Getting them out's easy, putting them in I was struggling," said Reed.

"Now it's easy, but those wake up 15 minutes before you've got to leave that first week at Augusta, no chance. It was wake up an hour and spend 45 minutes on my eyes."