Rory McIlroy has conceded the LIV Golf League 'exploited a weakness' after huge changes were proposed to the 2024 PGA Tour season.
News filtered through earlier in the week that many of the PGA Tour's elevated events next year will feature fields of 70-78 players with no cut.
This was then confirmed via a memo sent by PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan to players on 1 March.
Related: LIV pros blast PGA Tour changes
LIV Golf players are absolutely livid and have accused the PGA Tour of copying their homework.
Smaller fields and no cut events were just two aspects LIV Golf supremo Greg Norman has been in favour of for decades.
McIlroy told Golf Channel:
One criticism to the changes is some believe the designated events will eventually result in the PGA Tour becoming a closed shop.
It's the same accusation that has been levelled at LIV Golf.
McIlroy insisted that the changes are built on meritocracy and there are ways the 'rank-and-file' pros can play their way in.
"I'm not one to award mediocrity"
Critics have also stated the lack of a cut removes the competitive element.
England's Eddie Pepperell went on an incredible rant about this, then explained why cuts are so crucial to the game:
As for McIlroy, he said:
Watch McIlroy's interview here:
NEW TODAY: The PGA TOUR announces dramatic changes to designated events beginning in 2024.— Golf Today (@GCGolfToday) March 1, 2023
Rory McIlroy addresses the news and we get reactions from @AnnaJacksonGC & @MattAdamsFoL. pic.twitter.com/gp1e7iK4Dx
What do you think of the changes? Tweet us your thoughts.
Next page: LIV accused of telling porkies in court